• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMUs on WCML 70s to 2000s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter107

Member
Joined
26 Mar 2019
Messages
1,098
Possible. I do recall the WCML was a bit of an 'anything goes' at times mind. Guess this was part of the attraction as an observer.

Getting back to topic, did the Lon-Brum 310s always operate as semi fast to Rugby, then all stations to New Street? Seem to recall that there was a change when the 317/321s appeared and that these turns omitted the minor shacks between Rugby and NS? Pretty sure they have returned with the present timetable.
In the early 80s many of the 310s from Birmingham New Street to London Euston off peak from Birmingham New Street were Birmingham International, Coventry, Rugby, Long Buckby, Northampton, and semi fast to Euston. Didnt catch them too often, but cant remember an all stns one from New Street that carried on beyond Rugby. They may have had them early morning or later evening tho.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1537

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2019
Messages
2,075
Location
North Yorkshire
In the early 80s many of the 310s from Birmingham New Street to London Euston off peak from Birmingham New Street were Birmingham International, Coventry, Rugby, Long Buckby, Northampton, and semi fast to Euston. Didnt catch them too often, but cant remember an all stns one from New Street that carried on beyond Rugby. They may have had them early morning or later evening tho.
Yes, this is generally correct. During the day the intermediate stations between Coventry and Brum were served by the COV-BHM shuttle, and the 310s did BHM-BHI-COV-RUG and then most stations to EUS (IIRC they didn't serve Tring, Cheddington, Apsley or King's Langley except in rush hour). In the evening, starting around 1900, the shuttle stopped running and the Eustons did all stations to between COV and BHM as well. The first train each way in the early morning also did so, but I think it was just that one.

There were some oddities such as the 1730ish BHM-EUS which did some minor stations and not others, and at one point went loco hauled with a set of MkIs. Also the much lamented 0015 BHM-EUS which did bigger stations only along the whole route (BHM-BHI-COV-RUG-NMP-MKC-BLY-LBZ-HML-WFJ-EUS, approximately).
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
Don’t think anyone has yet mentioned it, but from mid 1990s the WCML also had workings of the class 325 EMUs, these were painted Royal Mail red and were basically a class 319 with a tougher floor, no windows and shutter doors instead of passenger doors. Like the class 442s were designed to be hauled off the electric network by locos.

I have forgotten where they went to but there was a big terminal near Stonebridge Park.
The site you're referring to is Princess Royal Distribution Centre. The 325s still run in Royal Mail red to this day between there and Warrington and Shieldmuir on the WCML, as well as to Low Fell (Gateshead) on the ECML. Historically they also ran to Tonbridge.
 

Revaulx

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2019
Messages
526
Location
Saddleworth
Virtually everything was AM4 to Macclesfield 1973-1980, but each timetable came up with some booked AM10 workings, which I'd mentally note. The 16:10/17:30 Manchester to Macclesfield pair was one unit with a return trip back from Macclesfield in between and came empty off Longsight to work the first one, probably having previously worked the 07:15 from Birmingham, and this was a booked AM10 most years I recall.
Ah thanks. So presumably pre-1973 also. It’s a section of line I rarely travelled by local train.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,132
Location
Wilmslow
Ah thanks. So presumably pre-1973 also. It’s a section of line I rarely travelled by local train.
1970-1973 I only travelled Poynton-Cheadle Hulme and back, I was only 8 when I started, and I only really travelled on the same trains, 08:xx from Poynton and 16:xx back from Cheadle Hulme, but they were 100% AM4/304. It was only when I changed school to go to Manchester that I got to use AM10/310s on services.
 

Springs Branch

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2013
Messages
1,683
Location
Where my keyboard has no £ key
I've another pic of a 303 south of Manchester, approaching Stockport on the viaduct in 1985
I remember the first time I rode on one of the 303s after they had been deployed in Manchester.

I was waiting at Stockport for a train to Oxford Road, and was quite excited when a 303 came drifting in.

"Fantastic", I thought, "I'll run to the front door and get a seat behind the driver. I'll have a brilliant view when we go over the viaduct, and of all the trackwork, signalling & other trains on the approach to Piccadilly". (I knew from riding these trains in Glasgow that they had DMU-style 'picture windows' behind the driver - and no 50% chance of it being the First Class compartment either).

A bit of a disappointment when I discovered the units had had some sort of refurbishment in the meantime, and the 'behind-the-driver' windows had been replaced with a standard solid bulkhead.
 

nw1

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2013
Messages
9,430
I’m not sure how often an AM4 turned left at Cheadle Hulme towards Macclesfield, though I dare say they did.

Around 1983/84 most Stafford-Manchester services (via that route) were 304s.
 

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,333
Location
Herts
310's made a minor come back after the Watford crash in 1996 , (2x3 car sets hired form Central Trains) , not for long as they needed 2 conductors and lost time ! - there was also a hired in 32x from WAGN until the 321 sets were rebalanced.
 

TheHovisKid

Member
Joined
9 Sep 2008
Messages
311
Location
Heysham
In the mid 80s there was a Saturday lunchtime job that took a 310/312 north to Preston. In some years it ran to Lancaster (had it south from there) and I think I occasionally to Carlisle. Never saw a 304 on it, or a 312 north if Preston.
 

GS250

Member
Joined
18 Mar 2019
Messages
1,031
310's made a minor come back after the Watford crash in 1996 , (2x3 car sets hired form Central Trains) , not for long as they needed 2 conductors and lost time ! - there was also a hired in 32x from WAGN until the 321 sets were rebalanced.
Did this set operate on the Southern end of the WCML? I recall having to double take at Harrow and Wealdstone early to mid 90s seeing a 310/312 stopping and taking on passengers.
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,333
Location
Herts
Did this set operate on the Southern end of the WCML? I recall having to double take at Harrow and Wealdstone early to mid 90s seeing a 310/312 stopping and taking on passengers.

1996 - peak only working MK to Euston , berth Camden - then evening peak working to MK and berth BY. Crews loved it, passengers not so much.
 

GS250

Member
Joined
18 Mar 2019
Messages
1,031
1996 - peak only working MK to Euston , berth Camden - then evening peak working to MK and berth BY. Crews loved it, passengers not so much.

Can imagine it would have been full and standing by the time it hit Watford Junction in the up direction.
 

delt1c

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2008
Messages
2,182
Has anyone mentioned the APT? Didn't do a lot of work or last long but they were EMU's
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,333
Location
Herts
Can imagine it would have been full and standing by the time it hit Watford Junction in the up direction.


Carefully positioned to be at the tail end of the peak ! , not too bad as I recall. Lack of proper 1st class was a bit of an issue , but better than 2x313's .....

During the Northampton playoffs at Wembley we ran a huge programme of extras with every bit of stock out , so we ran 3x9 car sets on a Saturday , again borrowed from Central (date escapes me now) - probably their last fling.
 

GS250

Member
Joined
18 Mar 2019
Messages
1,031
Has anyone mentioned the APT? Didn't do a lot of work or last long but they were EMU's

Good call. Very much so. The power car was unable to be self propelled so definitely an EMU. Didn't they run as 2+1+2 staff only with no catering in the end? Two of the trailers may have been locked out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top