• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Regional and Connect refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class777

Member
Joined
18 Mar 2023
Messages
46
Location
Merseyside
Does anyone know whether 158889 will be receiving the same interior refurb as other 158s, and if so, will the first class be removed potentially?
 

Mariner16

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2018
Messages
146
Location
No
I'll ask the question at Eastcroft tomorrow, last time I asked which was a while ago, was there wasn't a decision made, and I'd probably imagine it still being the same.
 

liamf656

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2020
Messages
1,730
Location
Derby
Does anyone know whether 158889 will be receiving the same interior refurb as other 158s, and if so, will the first class be removed potentially?
Last I heard internally it would be the last unit to be done because of it having a non standard interior. I think now they are racking up the options on what exactly they'll do to it
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,820
Location
West of Andover
Last I heard internally it would be the last unit to be done because of it having a non standard interior. I think now they are racking up the options on what exactly they'll do to it
They can always give it back to Salisbury if they don't want the hassle of changing the seats ;)
 

fbm99

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2025
Messages
18
Location
Lincoln
Currently on 170504 on the way to Nottingham and it seems the new PIS isn’t working - the screens are all stuck on East Midlands Railway and there’s terrible feedback every time the guard is using the PA. Overall though the seats are quite nice (but not sure if I prefer the pre refurbishment LM/Central seats).
 

Mariner16

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2018
Messages
146
Location
No
158773 is undergoing refurb at Eastcroft, this started a few days ago.
158785 is next to Bristol, was due to head there this weekend but is currently undergoing it's B Exam at Eastcroft.
158799 was due for a test run post refurb and B Exam but had some issues so not sure when it's having it before heading into service.
 

fbm99

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2025
Messages
18
Location
Lincoln
Apologies if this has been answered already, but how are seat reservations working on the refurb 170s (on Liverpool-Norwich)? Was wondering this as I was riding on them on Friday - the seats are numbered but only at the bottom near the floor, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the new seats to put in a reservation label.

I know the 158s are there for Liverpool to Norwich but it's not unheard of to have 170s on that route, so are the seats unreservable if a 170 is being used?
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,924
Apologies if this has been answered already, but how are seat reservations working on the refurb 170s (on Liverpool-Norwich)? Was wondering this as I was riding on them on Friday - the seats are numbered but only at the bottom near the floor, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the new seats to put in a reservation label.

I know the 158s are there for Liverpool to Norwich but it's not unheard of to have 170s on that route, so are the seats unreservable if a 170 is being used?
There haven't been seat reservations on the route since 2020.
 

tram21

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2022
Messages
1,327
Location
Nottingham
Apologies if this has been answered already, but how are seat reservations working on the refurb 170s (on Liverpool-Norwich)? Was wondering this as I was riding on them on Friday - the seats are numbered but only at the bottom near the floor, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the new seats to put in a reservation label.

I know the 158s are there for Liverpool to Norwich but it's not unheard of to have 170s on that route, so are the seats unreservable if a 170 is being used?
There are no seat reservations on any EMR routes except from on EMR Intercity.

Class 170s are being used more on the Liverpool to Norwich route following the timetable change too.
 

liamf656

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2020
Messages
1,730
Location
Derby
Apologies if this has been answered already, but how are seat reservations working on the refurb 170s (on Liverpool-Norwich)? Was wondering this as I was riding on them on Friday - the seats are numbered but only at the bottom near the floor, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the new seats to put in a reservation label.

I know the 158s are there for Liverpool to Norwich but it's not unheard of to have 170s on that route, so are the seats unreservable if a 170 is being used?
The Liverpool Norwich service hasn't offered reservations since 2020
 

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,656
Location
Derby
There are no seat reservations on any EMR routes except from on EMR Intercity.

Class 170s are being used more on the Liverpool to Norwich route following the timetable change too.
Sometimes they even work on the Inter City routes, but with 222s being replaced as and when by 810s, it is less likely.
 

fbm99

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2025
Messages
18
Location
Lincoln
Thanks all - I didn't realise EMR had scrapped reservations on the Liverpool-Norwich since COVID.
I was going to ask what XC are doing about seat reservations on their 170s but it looks like seat reservations have been scrapped on those services too.
 

Trainman40083

Established Member
Joined
29 Jan 2024
Messages
4,656
Location
Derby
Thanks all - I didn't realise EMR had scrapped reservations on the Liverpool-Norwich since COVID.
I was going to ask what XC are doing about seat reservations on their 170s but it looks like seat reservations have been scrapped on those services too.
Yep, no seat reservations on Cross Country 170s either. If I recall on EMR, they said they were trying to save the planet by doing away with printers etc. I do wonder if a lack of seat reservations puts people off travelling by train. For some they need certainty of a seat.
 

Killingworth

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
6,489
Location
Sheffield
Thanks all - I didn't realise EMR had scrapped reservations on the Liverpool-Norwich since COVID.
I was going to ask what XC are doing about seat reservations on their 170s but it looks like seat reservations have been scrapped on those services too.
I noticed a 6 car 170 out of Sheffield this morning, 1R50, with a very full first unit but plenty of empty seats in the final car.

Some way of better distributing loads in multi unit trains is needed. When reservations were in place they'd all be in the first unit so you'd know that if you hadn't got one to head for the second. Worked well for me - as long as the train wasn't short formed, of course.
 

fbm99

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2025
Messages
18
Location
Lincoln
Yep, no seat reservations on Cross Country 170s either. If I recall on EMR, they said they were trying to save the planet by doing away with printers etc. I do wonder if a lack of seat reservations puts people off travelling by train. For some they need certainty of a seat.
Don't want to derail this thread completely but I guess a way to add reservations on the 170s could be to add the e-paper screen modules like the LNER/VTEC HSTs/IC225 have/had.
I noticed a 6 car 170 out of Sheffield this morning, 1R50, with a very full first unit but plenty of empty seats in the final car.

Some way of better distributing loads in multi unit trains is needed. When reservations were in place they'd all be in the first unit so you'd know that if you hadn't got one to head for the second. Worked well for me - as long as the train wasn't short formed, of course.
I noticed that the refurb 170s have got passenger counters above the doors so they could be used to roughly identify how many people are in each coach, which could be used in conjunction with the platform displays and potentially something on the PIS like the GA FLIRTs have. It looks like the PIS on the refurb units is basically running the same software as the non-refurb units (probably for compatibility reasons) but using the LCDs instead of the older LED screens.
 

Class777

Member
Joined
18 Mar 2023
Messages
46
Location
Merseyside
I have been on 158785 this morning, still awaiting refurb however I must say the interior of 785 seems to be really good! The engine seems healthy and the cabin had working AC (maybe not the best for most, I like cold) which is a rarity! 1766830898109.jpeg
158785 is seen entering Widnes. A slight blur is seen on the image.

158773 is undergoing refurb at Eastcroft, this started a few days ago.
158785 is next to Bristol, was due to head there this weekend but is currently undergoing it's B Exam at Eastcroft.
158799 was due for a test run post refurb and B Exam but had some issues so not sure when it's having it before heading into service.
I know it was nearly a week since you’ve posted this, any updates? Wouldn’t surprise me if 785 doesn’t go until the new year…
 

Mariner16

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2018
Messages
146
Location
No
I have been on 158785 this morning, still awaiting refurb however I must say the interior of 785 seems to be really good! The engine seems healthy and the cabin had working AC (maybe not the best for most, I like cold) which is a rarity! View attachment 194822
158785 is seen entering Widnes. A slight blur is seen on the image.


I know it was nearly a week since you’ve posted this, any updates? Wouldn’t surprise me if 785 doesn’t go until the new year…
785 probably early next week as 783 is due back from Bristol this weekend at the moment.
 

InTheEastMids

Established Member
Joined
31 Jan 2016
Messages
1,401
I was about to ask the same question regarding the 360 refurb progress, if any one has any idea?
360107 is still at Northampton, and is visible in videos taken by/of the Great and Good who attended the depot for the grand opening of a new shed there that is specifically for refurbishment projects.
360111 seems to have gone to Northampton just before Christmas, but you'll need an EMR/Siemens insider to tell us all why.
 

Top