- Joined
- 21 Jan 2010
- Messages
- 5,573
Two. ‘847 and ‘866. ‘866 has been done a while but delayed into service.How many of the EMR 158s are now in purple?
Two. ‘847 and ‘866. ‘866 has been done a while but delayed into service.How many of the EMR 158s are now in purple?
Oh, I felt that the gap between 847 and 866 appearing meant others had been done in betweenTwo. ‘847 and ‘866. ‘866 has been done a while but delayed into service.
I assume 866 is the one sat at Etches park the last few times I’ve been past then.Two. ‘847 and ‘866. ‘866 has been done a while but delayed into service.
Last I heard internally it would be the last unit to be done because of it having a non standard interior. I think now they are racking up the options on what exactly they'll do to itDoes anyone know whether 158889 will be receiving the same interior refurb as other 158s, and if so, will the first class be removed potentially?
Awaiting wheelsets I believe.I did think it was weird to have a refurbed set sat around doing nothing.
They can always give it back to Salisbury if they don't want the hassle of changing the seatsLast I heard internally it would be the last unit to be done because of it having a non standard interior. I think now they are racking up the options on what exactly they'll do to it
There haven't been seat reservations on the route since 2020.Apologies if this has been answered already, but how are seat reservations working on the refurb 170s (on Liverpool-Norwich)? Was wondering this as I was riding on them on Friday - the seats are numbered but only at the bottom near the floor, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the new seats to put in a reservation label.
I know the 158s are there for Liverpool to Norwich but it's not unheard of to have 170s on that route, so are the seats unreservable if a 170 is being used?
There are no seat reservations on any EMR routes except from on EMR Intercity.Apologies if this has been answered already, but how are seat reservations working on the refurb 170s (on Liverpool-Norwich)? Was wondering this as I was riding on them on Friday - the seats are numbered but only at the bottom near the floor, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the new seats to put in a reservation label.
I know the 158s are there for Liverpool to Norwich but it's not unheard of to have 170s on that route, so are the seats unreservable if a 170 is being used?
The Liverpool Norwich service hasn't offered reservations since 2020Apologies if this has been answered already, but how are seat reservations working on the refurb 170s (on Liverpool-Norwich)? Was wondering this as I was riding on them on Friday - the seats are numbered but only at the bottom near the floor, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the new seats to put in a reservation label.
I know the 158s are there for Liverpool to Norwich but it's not unheard of to have 170s on that route, so are the seats unreservable if a 170 is being used?
Sometimes they even work on the Inter City routes, but with 222s being replaced as and when by 810s, it is less likely.There are no seat reservations on any EMR routes except from on EMR Intercity.
Class 170s are being used more on the Liverpool to Norwich route following the timetable change too.
Yep, no seat reservations on Cross Country 170s either. If I recall on EMR, they said they were trying to save the planet by doing away with printers etc. I do wonder if a lack of seat reservations puts people off travelling by train. For some they need certainty of a seat.Thanks all - I didn't realise EMR had scrapped reservations on the Liverpool-Norwich since COVID.
I was going to ask what XC are doing about seat reservations on their 170s but it looks like seat reservations have been scrapped on those services too.
I noticed a 6 car 170 out of Sheffield this morning, 1R50, with a very full first unit but plenty of empty seats in the final car.Thanks all - I didn't realise EMR had scrapped reservations on the Liverpool-Norwich since COVID.
I was going to ask what XC are doing about seat reservations on their 170s but it looks like seat reservations have been scrapped on those services too.
Don't want to derail this thread completely but I guess a way to add reservations on the 170s could be to add the e-paper screen modules like the LNER/VTEC HSTs/IC225 have/had.Yep, no seat reservations on Cross Country 170s either. If I recall on EMR, they said they were trying to save the planet by doing away with printers etc. I do wonder if a lack of seat reservations puts people off travelling by train. For some they need certainty of a seat.
I noticed that the refurb 170s have got passenger counters above the doors so they could be used to roughly identify how many people are in each coach, which could be used in conjunction with the platform displays and potentially something on the PIS like the GA FLIRTs have. It looks like the PIS on the refurb units is basically running the same software as the non-refurb units (probably for compatibility reasons) but using the LCDs instead of the older LED screens.I noticed a 6 car 170 out of Sheffield this morning, 1R50, with a very full first unit but plenty of empty seats in the final car.
Some way of better distributing loads in multi unit trains is needed. When reservations were in place they'd all be in the first unit so you'd know that if you hadn't got one to head for the second. Worked well for me - as long as the train wasn't short formed, of course.

I know it was nearly a week since you’ve posted this, any updates? Wouldn’t surprise me if 785 doesn’t go until the new year…158773 is undergoing refurb at Eastcroft, this started a few days ago.
158785 is next to Bristol, was due to head there this weekend but is currently undergoing it's B Exam at Eastcroft.
158799 was due for a test run post refurb and B Exam but had some issues so not sure when it's having it before heading into service.
Its been in service for a couple of weeks now158866 was in service on Saturday on the 12:33 Nottingham - Leicester.

785 probably early next week as 783 is due back from Bristol this weekend at the moment.I have been on 158785 this morning, still awaiting refurb however I must say the interior of 785 seems to be really good! The engine seems healthy and the cabin had working AC (maybe not the best for most, I like cold) which is a rarity! View attachment 194822
158785 is seen entering Widnes. A slight blur is seen on the image.
I know it was nearly a week since you’ve posted this, any updates? Wouldn’t surprise me if 785 doesn’t go until the new year…
Any update on the 360 that’s still undergoing refurbishments?
Schedule has now been created for 158783 to return (Attached: https://live.rail-record.co.uk/train.php/?c=K49772&d=2026-01-10) and also for 158785 to head out for refurb on the same day (Attached: https://live.rail-record.co.uk/train.php/?c=K49771&d=2026-01-10)785 probably early next week as 783 is due back from Bristol this weekend at the moment.
360107 is still at Northampton, and is visible in videos taken by/of the Great and Good who attended the depot for the grand opening of a new shed there that is specifically for refurbishment projects.I was about to ask the same question regarding the 360 refurb progress, if any one has any idea?
....new shed there that is specifically for refurbishment projects.