• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dr Who - Tennant back for "50th"-Without Davros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,762
Location
Yorkshire
Is anyone going to the cinema to see it - I'm working so will have to "tape" it.

Does anyone else believe Davros should be in it ?

By the time I found out cinemas were showing it they'd booked up.

I'd have preferred there to be no Daleks in it as I think NewWho has really overused Daleks.

But if it's about the TimeWar they can't really be ignored and Davros is likely.

(I've not been reading anything about what might be in the programme though).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
Watched the show on BBC 4 last night about the History of Dr Who.

Couldn't help feeling it was heavily accentuated towards the revival from Ecclestone onwards.

For example Simms Master was prominent with hardly any mention of Delgado or Ainley.

Why was (to many people) the definitive Dr Who Tom Baker not interviewed while Mcgann (a one hit flop) spoken to extensively :o

At least Davros featured quite a bit.....and he'd better be in Saturdays Special Day of the Doctor :p
I wouldn't say McGann's Doctor himself was a "flop".

I've not seen the special yet but McGann has been in a lot of Dr Who adventures - they're just almost all audio ones - the TV movie is probably the worst of his - it's a shame we didn't see more from him on screen. I have been quite impressed by some of them, especially with his assistant played by Sheriden Smith.

I'd agree that if you're interviewing Doctors then Tom Baker is an obvious one for the list.

Have you seen this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01lhhv4/Doctor_Who_Mini_Episode_The_Night_of_the_Doctor/ ? A taste of what might have been.
 

Jonny

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,577
Well, Davros has recently been released back for the Big Finish Productions classic audio series, presumably because there are no more plans for him in the main series (at least in the short run), so he's probably not going to turn up. The odd thing is that there is a tendency not to announce which characters are blocked but they are absent, as Omega has been...

Another quirk of character/'monster'-species licensing is that the rights belong to the author who devises them, and need to be released for the character to be re-used. Whether a character such as Omega would appear is going to be at least partly determined by this...
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Well, Davros has recently been released back for the Big Finish Productions classic audio series, presumably because there are no more plans for him in the main series (at least in the short run), so he's probably not going to turn up. The odd thing is that there is a tendency not to announce which characters are blocked but they are absent, as Omega has been...

Another quirk of character/'monster'-species licensing is that the rights belong to the author who devises them, and need to be released for the character to be re-used. Whether a character such as Omega would appear is going to be at least partly determined by this...

I thought Tom Baker saw Omega off , mind you my memories not what it was :oops:

Davros is the very embodiment of evil and no 50th Anniversary would be complete or credible without his presence :p
 

Jonny

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,577
I thought Tom Baker saw Omega off , mind you my memories not what it was :oops:

Davros is the very embodiment of evil and no 50th Anniversary would be complete or credible without his presence :p

Actually, sorry to be pedantic but that was Peter Davison in Arc of Infinity... and since it only took a few penstrokes to undo what the Troughton Doctor's recorder did (The Three Doctors) when writing Arc of Infinity. Besides, the way that Arc of Infinity was written leaves Omega still alive.

Besides, I think Steven Moffat wants to explain how the TARDIS blew up in The Pandorica Opens (New Series 5 ep. 12). Omega seeking revenge is the most credible explanation, after all who else could blow a TARDIS up? And, for that matter, kick off a Time War knowing full well that he won't be affected if the normal-matter universe gets destroyed...
 
Last edited:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
9,213
Location
SE London
I thought Tom Baker saw Omega off , mind you my memories not what it was :oops:

Aside from Johnny's reply, when you have a time machine as your spaceship, the fact that a character was killed off in a prior episode is never going to be a barrier to seeing them again ;)
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Does Tom Baker appear at the Doctor Who conventions, I just wondered bearing in mind his absence from the recent BBC4 programme.

Also could someone post a picture of davros on here for me as I don't have the technical skill to do it. Non davros devotees would then know who is being referred to.

Am I obsessed with Davros :roll:
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Indeed. Wow.

And so many lovely little touches.

I especially enjoyed Tom Baker in the cameo at the end which blows my earlier preposition out of the water :oops:

However.....Butts should become chief scriptwriter...

Gallifray is under mortal peril in the Time War by a massive Dalek invasion (incidentally there was not nearly enough Dalek interaction in my view)

Under the Tower of London Unit keep lots of dangerous artefacts from past history.....

Well I never this happens to include Davros......

The Doctors utilise his skills to avert the necessity to blow the planet up and destroy everyone by finding a weakness in the Daleks.

Of course he will attempt the double cross to activate Omega as he secretly wishes to destroy both Gallifray and the Daleks

Need I go on :p
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Despite the absence of Davros, clearly a massive disappointment to some, I thought the special epsiode was excellent, and I will be watching it again to see if I failed to notice a few litle touches the first time round (there's usually quite a few!).

What a treat to have Tom Baker and Peter Capaldi in the epsiode! And what a good character the John Hurt Doctor turned out to be. And how fantastic to see him regenerate into Christopher Eccleston (sort of)...I could go on. And on. And on!

I thoroughly enjoyed laughing at the utter disaster that the BBC3 after show party turned out to be. Thank goodness for the guests, they should have been on all the time then they could have omitted all the stuff that didn't work instead.
 

jnjkerbin

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2012
Messages
842
Location
Down south
I hadn't watched Doctor Who since one of the first episodes with Matt Smith but I made the effort to watch last nights and was very impressed. I'll definitely be watching the Christmas special. I really liked it, particularly the appearance of Mr Baker :). And yes, the after party was brilliant, and if you missed it is worth watching on iPlayer just to see the great interview with One Direction!
 

Bill EWS

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2006
Messages
673
Location
Didcot
It was a good programme but I too felt that it was wrong that Roger Dalgano didn't get a proper mention. He appeared so many times as the Master that surely no-one on the BBC staff involved in this dedication show could have forgotten him!

Whatever. Back in 1975 when I lived at East Hagbourne, just south of Didcot, they made The Android Invation in and around the village. The team was there for a week or so and it was interesting being able to watch them making scenes for the show. Likewise, once seeing the completed programme it was a bit strange seeing the village cross being destroyed at the end.

We managed to get close to the stars, Tom Baker and Elizabeth Sladen and they were very friendly always willing to sign autographs and some chat. At one point Tom went to the local shop and bought all the children who had followed him in an ice cream.

Here are the few photos I took at the time. I had hoped to get more but my work shifts didn't allow me the time.

261kjeg.jpg


2cfwj85.jpg


1z4y2jc.jpg


2dajfhx.jpg


2zduons.jpg


dggowi.jpg
 
Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
4,861
I thought it was rather good, alot better than most of the other episodes with Matt Smith. There was still the odd problem though, particularly:

  1. the silly hanging from the TARDIS at the start (why didn't he just press a button and get the TARDIS to dematerialise?) and
  2. Clara and the other two doctors suddenly getting out of the secure vault (which they could only get into via the painting) with no explanation as to how
Also
Tom Baker in the cameo at the end
I've not actually seen the old Doctor Who programmes (started with Eccleston), but did they not show him regenerating into whoever came next? I assume he must have looked alot younger back then, so if they showed the younger version of him regenerating wouldn't that make his appearance in the new episode a continuity error?

how fantastic to see him regenerate into Christopher Eccleston (sort of).
I agree, a shame they didn't get a picture of Eccleston's face and actually show the regeneration through to the end though.
 
Last edited:

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
Peter Capaldi doesn't become the Doctor until the Christmas programme I believe.
 

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
4,861
Peter Capaldi doesn't become the Doctor until the Christmas programme I believe.
He was however in this special episode very breifly I think. When the time lord general is says something like "there's all 12 of them" there's a very brief shot of another doctor (so brief I'm not sure if it was actually Peter Capaldi) saying "all 13".
 

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
9,213
Location
SE London
I thought it was rather good, alot better than most of the other episodes with Matt Smith. There was still the odd problem though, particularly:

  1. the silly hanging from the TARDIS at the start (why didn't he just press a button and get the TARDIS to dematerialise?) and
  2. Clara and the other two doctors suddenly getting out of the secure vault (which they could only get into via the painting) with no explanation as to how

A couple of issues that struck me were:
  1. The earlier Doctors would forget the events of the show once they returned to their normal timelines. So how come the sonic screwdrivers would apparently remember to continue running their calculations?
  2. If the Doctor actually saved Gallifrey, doesn't that screw up continuity for the events in the End of Time episodes a couple of years ago?
  3. As far as I could see it was never explained how all the other 9 Doctors managed to get brought into the plan to save Gallifrey at the end.

But those are minor nits from what's overall an exceptionally good story IMO.
 
Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
4,861
[*]The earlier Doctors would forget the events of the show once they returned to their normal timelines. So how come the sonic screwdrivers would apparently remember to continue running their calculations?
More to the point, both Matt Smith and David Tennant burnt out the sonic screwdriver (in Matt's first episode and the first episode of Tennant's 2nd series if I remember correctly).

I agree with the rest of your post though.
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
It was a good programme but I too felt that it was wrong that Roger Dalgano didn't get a proper mention. He appeared so many times as the Master that surely no-one on the BBC staff involved in this dedication show could have forgotten him!
I don't know who "Roger Dalgano" is? The Master was portrayed by Roger Delgado. He was also portrayed quite a few times by Anthony Ainley, and he didn't get a "mention" either. TBH I don't get what kind of "mention" you were looking for for? This wasn't a "dedication show" (what ever that is), as you put it. This was an anniversary episode of the series.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Now I have had time to reflect I feel the show marginalised the Dalek's with very little dialogue or interaction with the other characters in the story.

There were no shots onboard the Dalek invasion fleet - who was in charge ?

The Zygons had more prominence than Daleks which is ridiculous.

I have already suggested how Davros could have been incorporated and improved the storyline.

Here's another suggestion - Davros in an alliance with the Cybermen who he has developed to be impervious to attack by Gold defeats the Dalek invasion force then double crosses them and attempts to destroy Galifray by activating Omega. However he is foiled by The Master who is disguised as the Cyber Leader.

So simple and a far better and more inclusive "50th Anniversary Plot" :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Despite the absence of Davros, clearly a massive disappointment to some, I thought the special epsiode was excellent, and I will be watching it again to see if I failed to notice a few litle touches the first time round (there's usually quite a few!).

What a treat to have Tom Baker and Peter Capaldi in the epsiode! And what a good character the John Hurt Doctor turned out to be. And how fantastic to see him regenerate into Christopher Eccleston (sort of)...I could go on. And on. And on!

I thoroughly enjoyed laughing at the utter disaster that the BBC3 after show party turned out to be. Thank goodness for the guests, they should have been on all the time then they could have omitted all the stuff that didn't work instead.

The aftershow party was an embarrassment somewhat reminiscent of the BBC's much criticised Jubilee Coverage aka Paloma Faith etc. Whose idea was it to have Rick Edwards and Zoe Ball fronting it with no sense of gravitas or connection to Dr Who.

The gathering of so many former assistants and Doctors was a golden opportunity for a great discussion but it descended into an uncoordinated farce. :oops:
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
The aftershow party was an embarrassment somewhat reminiscent of the BBC's much criticised Jubilee Coverage aka Paloma Faith etc. Whose idea was it to have Rick Edwards and Zoe Ball fronting it with no sense of gravitas or connection to Dr Who.

Who is this Rick Edwards geezer and why one arth was he chosen to front this show? He was beyond awful!

The gathering of so many former assistants and Doctors was a golden opportunity for a great discussion but it descended into an uncoordinated farce. :oops:

I wouldn't dignify it by calling it an uncoordinated farce! It wasn't good enough to be uncoordinated and it wasn't funny enough to be a farce!

It looked as though there was no script, not much of a schedule, and a very real sense of 'hey, we're BBC3, it doesn't really matetr what happens, it must be trendy'. Dreadful doesn't really begin to describe it.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,762
Location
Yorkshire
Now I have had time to reflect I feel the show marginalised the Dalek's with very little dialogue or interaction with the other characters in the story.

There were no shots onboard the Dalek invasion fleet - who was in charge ?

The Zygons had more prominence than Daleks which is ridiculous.

I have already suggested how Davros could have been incorporated and improved the storyline.

Here's another suggestion - Davros in an alliance with the Cybermen who he has developed to be impervious to attack by Gold defeats the Dalek invasion force then double crosses them and attempts to destroy Galifray by activating Omega. However he is foiled by The Master who is disguised as the Cyber Leader.

So simple and a far better and more inclusive "50th Anniversary Plot" :p

I wouldn't have picked Zygons personally but I rather liked the fact we had a big special that wasn't about Daleks or Cybermen (there had to be Daleks there in the Time War but the story wasn't about them - and wasn't really about Zygons either).

OldWho used to be able to leave Daleks alone for more than a series.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
I wouldn't have picked Zygons personally but I rather liked the fact we had a big special that wasn't about Daleks or Cybermen (there had to be Daleks there in the Time War but the story wasn't about them - and wasn't really about Zygons either).

OldWho used to be able to leave Daleks alone for more than a series.

Fair point about resting the Daleks, but as you mentioned it was the Time War and despite "billions of daleks" they were reduced to a bit part.

As for the exclusion of Davros - I wonder what whovian blogs are saying ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Who is this Rick Edwards geezer and why one arth was he chosen to front this show? He was beyond awful!



I wouldn't dignify it by calling it an uncoordinated farce! It wasn't good enough to be uncoordinated and it wasn't funny enough to be a farce!

It looked as though there was no script, not much of a schedule, and a very real sense of 'hey, we're BBC3, it doesn't really matetr what happens, it must be trendy'. Dreadful doesn't really begin to describe it.

I think the whole thing was aimed at "arriviste" Who fans , ie Ecclestone onwards - ironically the said man played very little part in any of the associated programmes. :p
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top