So, it appear that you pick and choose which instructions to follow:
Indeed; a ticket office offering split tickets is a strict no-no isn't it? I believe it's against impartial retailing rules. Also there is no way
@Philip will be able to manually ensure the cheapest combination is generally issued, without using a website that calculates this.
Passengers would also end up with loads of pieces of paper, rather than one document, as issued by split ticket sites.
Of course passengers are entitled to the tickets they ask for but they shouldn't be offered splits unprompted.
Your argument gets more and more bizarre.
Indeed it is absolutely bizarre
And walking away from an upset customer will do what? You've accepted they've shouted at you which I said will happen. You walking away will enflame the situation considerably possibly leading to the customer being even more irate with the next member of staff they meet. I wouldn't want colleagues like you, just passing the buck and not dealing with it. Yes, customer service is damn hard work, which is why not everyone is cut out for it, some people would rather walk away than deal with it. That's fine, customer service isn't the job for them. But too many of them remain in it and moan about it. Deal with the customer, resolve it, they'll calm down instead of letting someone else pick up the mess.
While abuse is unacceptable the reality is that good staff will deploy appropriate techniques to avoid the vast majority of such situations and, where they do occur (as in
@LowLevel 's example) they do not escalate.
Being obstructive is certainly getting matters off to a bad start.
It's not really a case of standing behind it, rather just going by something we were taught years ago and have applied in the course of the job ever since. If the TOC issued a brief specifically saying that we could use our discretion and apply the discount in this scenario then I would go along with it as it saves a potential argument and might persuade them not to book online instead.
In all jobs I have done, common sense needs to be applied.
Refusing the sale of an advance ticket unless the Railcard is present is not applying any common sense whatsoever. There is no rule against doing that; it is your own interpretation only.
As someone who frequently buys for other passengers, either as part of a group or simply for other people (e.g. family members etc) having had the refusal of such discounts in the past has inconvenienced me.
However I am no longer inconvenienced as I buy online. I am keen for all ticket types to be sold online so that ticket offices are completely redundant and I am very pleased to see matters progressing in the right direction.