I commented on a specific case where a railcard was being produced which expired earlier then the ticket being purchased. In that situation there are no grounds top refuse to sell the ticket. With regard to the bigger issue of buying tickets without being able to produce a railcard at the time, I believe there are still instructions in place that staff should check the railcard at that point. My own view is that a pragamatic view should be taken and advance purchase should be permitted as it is online or from self service machines, and that is how I would proceed. For purchases on the day of travel I don't think it is unreasonable to check the railcard at the counter and I can say from experience that doing so does reveal a lot of expired railcards and some cases of misuse.
Thanks for clarifying - all seems perfectly sensible. I think there is some argument for the sake of argument taking place on this thread!
On the buying of tickets, I saw this graphic from the RDG today. The trend is only going to continue going one way. 23% is of course still not a tiny number but it’s by far from the majority (which it last was 10 years ago).
Interesting to note TVM sales seem to be declining at a quicker rate than face to face as online sales rise. Presumably those using TVMs are switching to online more readily than those who use face to face (ie the elderly, those who simply don’t like using technology etc.)
Clearly there is still a significant “rump” of people who prefer to use ticket offices to either TVMs or online, albeit this is unlikely to justify them remaining open in anything like the numbers there are currently.
This presumably varies significantly by region eg in London I bet contactless is a higher % than face to face.
Last edited: