• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disused stations (BR not London Underground)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
South London
Just like Polesworth, 1 train per day calls there northbound but because the footbridge was removed nothing calls there going the other way :lol:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All Line Rover

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
5,270
Norton Bridge is still just about visible if you pass by on a London Midland train. The sign is quite visible. :) Blink and you've missed it on a Virgin train!
 

krisk

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2011
Messages
347
What's the long term plans for Norton Bridge, Barlaston and Wedgwood?

Could the line have a second Northern service :

Stafford
Norton Bridge (hypothetically)
Stone
Barlaston
Wedgwood
Stoke On Trent
Kidsgrove
Alsager
Crewe

Then forms the Crewe - Manchester Airport - Manchester Piccadilly service? I know part of the line is single section but its workable when Virgin services are diverted.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I also meant to ask, just north of Wolverton on WCML there are some platform remnants, what station was this. Also between Norton Bridge and Crewe there appears to have been a station at some point, what was this one?
 

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,725
There's a large disused station in Wakefield called, I think, Wakefield Kirkgate. Station signs are still up and trains have been known to stop there but, looking at the rundown state of the building, it must have closed years ago! ;)
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
What's the long term plans for Norton Bridge, Barlaston and Wedgwood?

Could the line have a second Northern service :

Stafford
Norton Bridge (hypothetically)
Stone
Barlaston
Wedgwood
Stoke On Trent
Kidsgrove
Alsager
Crewe

Then forms the Crewe - Manchester Airport - Manchester Piccadilly service? I know part of the line is single section but its workable when Virgin services are diverted.

Paths I suspect would be a problem, as well as blocking the UF heading north (and both Fast lines if it runs on the slows to Norton Bridge).

krisk said:
I also meant to ask, just north of Wolverton on WCML there are some platform remnants, what station was this. Also between Norton Bridge and Crewe there appears to have been a station at some point, what was this one?

I am not certain, but think that station is Roade.

No trace of Roade remains, I am certain that is Castlethorpe.

There was at least two: Whitmore and Madeley, but I don't think anything remains of them.

No traces remain at platform level, but Whitmore's street level building is still intact, and can be seen easily heading south on the WCML. It is in remarkably good nick too.
 

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
1,660
Location
Greater London
Would Spa Road Junction outside Waterloo East count? It was the former terminus of the SER up until 1915 IIRC, and than used for freight (I think) up until 1961.

As you pass it, it still has old BR signs that say 'Spa Road Junction' if you can read under the graffiti.

The platforms and lift still exist and can be seen as you pass.
 

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,725
I believe Tiverton Junction platforms still remain, although the platform buildings hasve long been demolished.

I visited it back in 1988 about a year after closure and it was almost fully intact, right down to the "passenger services to be withdrawn from this station" notice peeling off the wall!
 

MrPosh

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
51
Digby Station between Ruskington and Metheringham on the Sleaford to Lincoln line is complete - buildings, platforms, the lot. It only needs a sign and it could open tomorrow.

There is also quite a bit of Scopwick and Timberland, Dunstan, Potterhanworth and Branston and Heighington still extant on that line.

There is still quite a lot of former railways buildings/infrastructure kicking about in Lincolnshire - the only thing that makes Digby different is that the line is still open.
 

PR1Berske

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2010
Messages
3,025
I recall getting off there some years back - the only person to do so on the only evening train from Preston. As I was about to leave the station the police turned up and questioned me as to why I had got off there. It seems local residents get jittery when they see people get off there, the police mentioned it was something to do with a nearby open prison. They weren't at first convinced by my excuse of getting off there because I had never been there before and then advised me that there was nothing there and took me in to Kirkham. Have never been back since.


I walked along the canal from Preston into Salwick, passing the station, spotting one bloke sitting at the platform reading a paper.

I had no intention of sitting with him when I checked the timetables - he had about 5 hours wait ahead of him :|
 

caliwag

Member
Joined
29 Mar 2009
Messages
608
Location
York
Newburgh (NB) on the Ladybank to Perth line, which is open. It is an overgrown wreck but subject to a vigorous local reopening campaign...as Blackford of course on the Stirling to Perth line. (Haven't checked if anything is still there.
Perth Princes Street seems to still be there. Closed in '66, it predates the pre-extended Perth General by some 15 years. Indeed it was a terminus for the Scottish Central Railway from Stirling before the single line Perth Tay bridge was built a year later.
I assume that the station hall and stairs are still there at street level...will check next time when in Perth.
 

Phil6219

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2011
Messages
578
Location
Manchester, UK
As has been pointed out Pendleton is still very visible just after departing Salford Crescent, I know SCD took away quite a number of passengers but I'm sure Pendleton stayed open for quite a while, wasn't there an arson attack which forced it's closure followed by a further one which completely gutted the main building. I know people have been campaigning for it to be re-opened as it is a much better station for the shopping precinct and access to Broughton than the Crescent.

Ringly Road station is still there, the platform is still very much visible. The railway though is very much long gone.

Seedley Station still has a few remains to the eagle eyed, well a bit of the station wall now remains but a few years (15+) ago crumbled bits of platform were visible in the embankment.

Astley Station opened initially as "Flow Moss Cottage" but was eventually renamed Astley. Like Seedley it was found on the Liverpool & Manchester railway and also closed in 1956. I mention this as it would be my local station but it is also a nice place to spot (well on diversion days and if port salford ever gets built), except for the 2 mile walk, then the constant flow of traffic at the manually operated level crossing. It is a nice place, got a vid up from a few weeks ago too.

Salford Central is looking rather drab too, it has those two disused platforms which could be brought back into use (and probably will as part of the Ordsall Chord).

Miles Platting was visible but I think it may have finally been demolished, or at least part demolished.

Manchester Exchange station anyone? Closed in 1969 it remained in situ until the mid 1980s. When one of it's platforms merged with Manchester Victoria's number 11 it became the longest in Europe! That platform is still there today though not in use with no trackbed either.

Worth a quick mention... Manchester Arndale? When the Arndale Centre was being designed and built in the 1970s the much fabled Picc-Vic Tunnel was in the planning stages. Details are sketchy but it was said that the Arndale Centre was built with an underground station in mind, and that structures did exist (cuttings and whatnot) underground. The tunnel project was sadly cancelled (and now we have those wonderful trams causing all sorts of mischief). The "station" was apparently lost when the shopping centre was rebuilt/refurbished. Incidentally the Arndale bus station was also lost during this work (though had been closed to the public ever since the bombing in 1996.

Phil 8-)
 

Trog

Established Member
Joined
30 Oct 2009
Messages
1,546
Location
In Retirement.
Dunno how much of it you can see from the train at the moment. I just happen to drive that way to and from work and it has really changed the layout of the roads down there.

[youtube]WluyF9mBv3w&[/youtube]

Looking at this, I can see it is really going to screw up my route into work!



Looks like Milton Keynes without the rats.
 

pendolino

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2010
Messages
737
Would Spa Road Junction outside Waterloo East count? It was the former terminus of the SER up until 1915 IIRC, and than used for freight (I think) up until 1961.

As you pass it, it still has old BR signs that say 'Spa Road Junction' if you can read under the graffiti.

The platforms and lift still exist and can be seen as you pass.

The Jct is Spa Road Jct, but the station was just Spa Road. The booking office at street level is still extant.

edit: here's some pictures: http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/Spa_Road_station.html
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,464
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Miles Platting was visible but I think it may have finally been demolished, or at least part demolished.


I passed through there yesterday on the way to Leeds and there is nothing but slightly raised ground levels that are overgrown with grass and small shrubs. You would never have known that there was a 4 platform junction station there.
 

RPM

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2009
Messages
1,531
Location
Buckinghamshire
On the Chiltern Main Line there are platform remains (if you know where to look) at Ruislip Gardens, West Wycombe, Haddenham, Brill & Ludgershall, Ardley and Fenny Compton. The station building still exists in a derelict state at Aynho Park Platform.
 

bocaj

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2011
Messages
79
Location
Leeds
I'm not sure if this classes as one but 1 and a half of the platforms and all of the station buildings are closed at Castleford station, However the whole Station is not closed as Trains from Castleford to Leeds and Castleford to Sheffeild services still come in and terminate. The only trains which go past the dissuesd part of platform 1 are Steam Specials. The whole of Platform two is dissued and the trains on the line are only freight and Steam specials.
So, one of my local stations is partly dissuesd but the others are fully working. Well, exsept from the ones on the old Branch line.

Jacob :D
 

RPM

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2009
Messages
1,531
Location
Buckinghamshire
There are some places where you have to look VERY carefully to find remnants of what once was.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorton_Halt_railway_station


.. Dorton has a kind of fictional ring to it, like somewhere Miss Marple might travel to, Unfortunately we can no longer take the train there.

There's very little to see of Dorton Halt now. If you know where to look you can just about see where the pathways led to each platform from the road bridge, but the remains are pretty vestigial. The same applies to Ilmer Halt and South Harefield Halt.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top