Lampshade
Established Member
Just like Polesworth, 1 train per day calls there northbound but because the footbridge was removed nothing calls there going the other way 
Blink and you've missed it on a Virgin train!There was at least two: Whitmore and Madeley, but I don't think anything remains of them.Also between Norton Bridge and Crewe there appears to have been a station at some point, what was this one?
CaptainHaddock, Wakefield Kirkgate might look rundown & disused, but it certainly has many trains calling.
What's the long term plans for Norton Bridge, Barlaston and Wedgwood?
Could the line have a second Northern service :
Stafford
Norton Bridge (hypothetically)
Stone
Barlaston
Wedgwood
Stoke On Trent
Kidsgrove
Alsager
Crewe
Then forms the Crewe - Manchester Airport - Manchester Piccadilly service? I know part of the line is single section but its workable when Virgin services are diverted.
krisk said:I also meant to ask, just north of Wolverton on WCML there are some platform remnants, what station was this. Also between Norton Bridge and Crewe there appears to have been a station at some point, what was this one?
I am not certain, but think that station is Roade.
There was at least two: Whitmore and Madeley, but I don't think anything remains of them.
No trace of Roade remains, I am certain that is Castlethorpe.
I recall getting off there some years back - the only person to do so on the only evening train from Preston. As I was about to leave the station the police turned up and questioned me as to why I had got off there. It seems local residents get jittery when they see people get off there, the police mentioned it was something to do with a nearby open prison. They weren't at first convinced by my excuse of getting off there because I had never been there before and then advised me that there was nothing there and took me in to Kirkham. Have never been back since.
How about Altofts?
Also, has Primrose Hill been mentioned?
Dunno how much of it you can see from the train at the moment. I just happen to drive that way to and from work and it has really changed the layout of the roads down there.
[youtube]WluyF9mBv3w&[/youtube]
Looking at this, I can see it is really going to screw up my route into work!
Would Spa Road Junction outside Waterloo East count? It was the former terminus of the SER up until 1915 IIRC, and than used for freight (I think) up until 1961.
As you pass it, it still has old BR signs that say 'Spa Road Junction' if you can read under the graffiti.
The platforms and lift still exist and can be seen as you pass.
Miles Platting was visible but I think it may have finally been demolished, or at least part demolished.
There are some places where you have to look VERY carefully to find remnants of what once was.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorton_Halt_railway_station
.. Dorton has a kind of fictional ring to it, like somewhere Miss Marple might travel to, Unfortunately we can no longer take the train there.