The Planner
Veteran Member
- Joined
- 15 Apr 2008
- Messages
- 19,728
Which is what I said?The 86s being used for batteries/Hydrogen/bionic duckweed, is not happening. Being used for razor blades is more likely.
Which is what I said?The 86s being used for batteries/Hydrogen/bionic duckweed, is not happening. Being used for razor blades is more likely.
I totally agree and was not disagreeing- I obviously phrased my reply badly to cause confusion for which I apologize.Which is what I said?
Wiki isn't always reliable, but surely its what it produces at the rails? a 66 is 2480hp.The 86's are to be exported to Europe.
The class 99s are next to useless for hauling freight on diesel at only 2150hp
Wiki isn't always reliable, but surely its what it produces at the rails? a 66 is 2480hp.
Really? Where did you find that info?The 86's are to be exported to Europe.
I couldn't possibly say, but it was from a reliable internal source!Really? Where did you find that info?
That's not to say the plan won't change of courseReally? Where did you find that info?
Thanks. I thought that might happen but wasn’t sure so thanks for clarifying.I couldn't possibly say, but it was from a reliable internal source!
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
That's not to say the plan won't change of course
Sorry I can't be more specific, my employer has a very strict social media policy and I don't want to risk getting into trouble over anything, even if it is something as innocent as this! hahaThanks. I thought that might happen but wasn’t sure so thanks for clarifying.
3782, they'll have to put them together again like a lego setIn how many pieces?![]()
It was reported in the June 2022 Modern Railways that it will be a Cummins QSK50 engine rated at 2450 bhp (presumably at the crankshaft), which would relate to it being around 2150 hp at rail.The class 99s are next to useless for hauling freight on diesel at only 2150hp
Do you have a source for that, or is this just speculation/gossip?They can't be that good if the FOC who have ordered them are trying to palm a load off onto other FOCs..
Given that you appear to be working for Freightliner at Ipswich, I’m smelling a massive pile of you-know-what. What’s the chances you really know the traction policy of GBRf, that they’re (allegedly) offering out as yet unbuilt locos that no one has yet seen let alone know their performance capabilities in the real world.So likely much less whp than 2150, again useless. They can't be that good if the FOC who have ordered them are trying to palm a load off onto other FOCs..
Fair enough.It was reported in the June 2022 Modern Railways that it will be a Cummins QSK50 engine rated at 2450 bhp (presumably at the crankshaft), which would relate to it being around 2150 hp at rail.
That's about the same as a class 47, so it certainly won't be 'useless' at hauling freight on diesel.
Do you have a source for that, or is this just speculation/gossip?
I would like to add that pulling 1900-2100 tons up a steep bank with only 2150 at the rail is, in deed, next to useless. I speak from experience.It was reported in the June 2022 Modern Railways that it will be a Cummins QSK50 engine rated at 2450 bhp (presumably at the crankshaft), which would relate to it being around 2150 hp at rail.
That's about the same as a class 47, so it certainly won't be 'useless' at hauling freight on diesel.
Do you have a source for that, or is this just speculation/gossip?
The proposal of the OP was AIUI for a last-mile type solution to avoid the cost of electrifying quieter branches but enabling freight to take advantage of OLE on mainlines when they get there. Felixstowe is not Beattock, so with 2,000 at the rail you'd like to think a Class 99 could haul 1600-1800 tonnes as far as Ipswich Yard where it can pan up.I would like to add that pulling 1900-2100 tons up a steep bank with only 2150 at the rail is, in deed, next to useless. I speak from experience.
Out of interest, what loco type was that, what was the gradient, and what speed did it manage on the climb?I would like to add that pulling 1900-2100 tons up a steep bank with only 2150 at the rail is, in deed, next to useless. I speak from experience.
Exactly - and as far as I remember, when they first started talking about the class 99, GBRf or Stadler said they'd modelled the expected performance of the 99 on the Felixstowe branch with typical intermodals and found it was only marginally slower than a 66.Felixstowe is not Beattock, so with 2,000 at the rail you'd like to think a Class 99 could haul 1600-1800 tonnes as far as Ipswich Yard where it can pan up.
given that these are old designs from before modern electronics, how easy would it be to use Soviet-era electrical parts from the likes of Electroputre as spares?https://twitter.com/TodaysRailways
According to Today's Railways UK, the stored 86s FL at Crewe are being prepared for export to Bulgaria - moved to Immingham by road, with up to three movements a week starting with 86622. Hope the Bulgarians have enough spares as they must be hard to come by.