• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,737
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Television dramas etc in which the same actors and actresses keep on reappearing. It’s often quite difficult to separate the role which you are now watching from the role they played before that and the one before that and……..

Supposedly there are many actors and actresses out of work. Maybe spread it around a bit.
My wife tunes into a cable channel "Great Romance Movies" and "Great Christmas Movies", full of made for TV American dross.
The same actors and actresses get churned out. Mind you, I think the same bloomin' storyline pretty much gets churned out on them all too...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

frankmoh

On Moderation
Joined
7 May 2025
Messages
826
Location
London
I've noticed McDonald's staff try and take your receipt away after you show them your takeaway order. It just annoys me to no end.

Another thing: British people calling takeaway "takeout". My cousin is very guilty of this.
 

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2005
Messages
2,751
Location
Staffordshire
I've noticed McDonald's staff try and take your receipt away after you show them your takeaway order. It just annoys me to no end.
Odd. I find they're not even interested in seeing the receipt. Perhaps they think you're trying to give them your receipt to dispose of?

Another thing: British people calling takeaway "takeout". My cousin is very guilty of this.
Another American TV/film influence. Very annoying.
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,737
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
People from phoning/ ordering online and calling it a takeaway. Surely it's a bringhere! ;)
Ring them up, ask if they do takeaway.
When they say they do, show delight...
Then ask them to pop round and take away your items that can't go in your domestic bins. "Two broken bikes, one rusty barbecue and a mother-in-law who doesn't stop talking".
 
Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,043
Another thing: British people calling takeaway "takeout". My cousin is very guilty of this.
Though in Scotland, hasn't it long since been a "carry out" ? Phonetically, something akin to kerry-oot.
 

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,519
Location
Northern England
A certain large bus company whose name begins with an F, that cancels services but can't be bothered marking them as such in the electronic systems, leaving passengers standing in the cold waiting for a bus that pretends to exist but doesn't.

And then another large bus company, whose name begins with S, that competes with F on the same routes but refuses to accept the tickets of said passengers and charges them for the privilege of getting home half an hour late.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
When I look at the online catalogue of my local hardware shop to see what makes they have of something I want I type in exactly what I am looking for. However, it gives me a load of irrelevant items, some of them completely unconnected. I want a fan heater, for which it offers nineteen possibilities, of which only two are fan heaters, while seven are other types of heater, which might just about be reasonable to offer. But what have hex coupling nuts, retractable clothes lines and toasters to do with my search?
 

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,728
When I look at the online catalogue of my local hardware shop to see what makes they have of something I want I type in exactly what I am looking for. However, it gives me a load of irrelevant items, some of them completely unconnected. I want a fan heater, for which it offers nineteen possibilities, of which only two are fan heaters, while seven are other types of heater, which might just about be reasonable to offer. But what have hex coupling nuts, retractable clothes lines and toasters to do with my search?
And while we're talking about online searches, when your search engine asks you "did you mean (something else)?" when you didn't.

A typical example is when, as a real ale drinker I type in CAMRA plus the name of a town to find the best pubs, Google asks if I meant "camera" and brings up a list of photography equipment!
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
And while we're talking about online searches, when your search engine asks you "did you mean (something else)?" when you didn't.

A typical example is when, as a real ale drinker I type in CAMRA plus the name of a town to find the best pubs, Google asks if I meant "camera" and brings up a list of photography equipment!

Even more infuriating is when it doesn’t give you the option and instead just looks for something spelt similarly. I have put in the word correctly and there is an answer, so answer it! This isn’t artificial intelligence, it is artificial obstruction.
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,444
Even more infuriating is when it doesn’t give you the option and instead just looks for something spelt similarly. I have put in the word correctly and there is an answer, so answer it! This isn’t artificial intelligence, it is artificial obstruction.
You can add double quotes around a word, and it will look for that specific word or phrase. You can set this up from the advanced search page https://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,737
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
When I look at the online catalogue of my local hardware shop to see what makes they have of something I want I type in exactly what I am looking for. However, it gives me a load of irrelevant items, some of them completely unconnected. I want a fan heater, for which it offers nineteen possibilities, of which only two are fan heaters.
If it's any consolation, I discovered a similar thing - some 20 years ago - on a well known auction/Buy it now site.
I'd bought a cockerel hand puppet for a friend's child. I must have, at some point, used the search term "fake cockerel" or the abbreviated form.
Because, a subsequent visit to said website, I was faced with a "might also like" reel including - lady toys... o_O
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,043
All English beer

Any danger of it being poured remotely cold?
I get why us Australians mock you about warm beer now.
Numerous varieties of fizzy lager are served cold, so are just as taste-free as Australian beer :s

Proper cask ale is intended to be served at cellar temperature, usually (I think) around 8 - 10°. This is so that you can actually taste the flavours of malt, hops, etc. that the brewers intended.

Chacun à son goût, as our neighbours say ...
 
Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
I had a friend who valued beer for its drunk-making properties, but didn't actually like its taste -- he thus valued its being served icy-cold; and the varieties for which this is the convention.
 

Sorcerer

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2022
Messages
2,204
Location
Liverpool
So not quite something I can ban, but certainly in line with things that irritate me. Having a barber that you've been using for twelve years closing down, which though not a big deal for most people is actually a bit of a nightmare for a particularly vain individual not too fond of change like myself. But I suppose as a selfish petty dictator I could also either ban all haircuts that aren't my own, or ban anyone else from having my hairstyle. I haven't decided yet. <:D
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,680
Location
The West Country
I stopped going to the barbers 25 years ago, it seemed pointless paying £3.50 for a grade 1 around what I had left. A trip to Argos for a £15 pair of trimmers that I’m still using has saved me loads of money.
 

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,728
I stopped going to the barbers 25 years ago, it seemed pointless paying £3.50 for a grade 1 around what I had left. A trip to Argos for a £15 pair of trimmers that I’m still using has saved me loads of money.
Me too. Picked up a pair of head clippers during lockdown and haven't been to a barbers since. Even the Easy Barber chain which used to be the cheapest now charges £7.99 for a men's cut so it's a fair saving.
 

Peter C

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
4,739
Location
GWR land
Something I'd ban - news articles which, after a few paragraphs about the event being reported, just copy-and-paste comments from social media. This is particularly bad on Reach-owned 'newspapers' but I've seen a couple of BBC News articles which have done the same and I just don't understand what there is to be gained from it?

-Peter
 

Topological

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
4,332
Location
Swansea
Anything that is not acutally Artificial Intelligence being called Artificial Intelligence - Statistical models are never artificial intelligence.

I would also ban any train from terminating at Cardiff Central

Finally, I would ban concluding sentences that suggest that there has been far more content prior to their appearance.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Companies that regularly send you the same unsolicited offers with the envelopes stuffed with several sheets of paper; a regular offender is Southern Water. Then on the outside of the envelope they suggest you help the environment by recycling all this unwanted paper. If it matters that much, why don’t you recycle it as soon as you have printed it and save the postage, or just…
 

Pakenhamtrain

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2014
Messages
1,205
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Numerous varieties of fizzy lager are served cold, so are just as taste-free as Australian beer
The only Australian beer over there is Foster's and no one in Australia drinks it.

In Australia we have many flavour beers nice and cold.
Here's a Balter XPA.

And these are the taps at the Elephant and Wheelbarrow which is a British pub on Bourke street

All cold beer!
 
Last edited:

Top