• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,519
Location
Northern England
Everywhere wanting feedback on how transactions went - the latest being a £1.49 purchase in Card Factory, and coffee & toast in Morrisons cafe.

Honestly guys - do away with this cost line, and let returning (or non-returning) customers tell you all you need to know about the quality of your operations.
This is particularly bizarre when subject of discussion is some mundane household object. I've purchased a few of these in the past few months where I have been asked for feedback.

A kettle. It's a jug that you fill with water and it gets hot. It does that job flawlessly, and if it didn't then I'd have taken it back to the shop because it would be useless.

A dustbin. It's a container with a lid that you put rubbish in. It does that job flawlessly, and if it didn't then I'd have taken it back to the shop because it would be useless.

I'm sure you get the idea.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,958
Too many people, including contributors to this forum, don't know the difference between "its" and "it's". It's so easy! What's so sad, and embarrassing, is that foreigners, such as Dutch and Swedes, seem to get it right more often than we native speakers (writers) do.

I’m afraid that includes me. Specifically, I don’t know when to use “its”. I must have missed that lesson at school, and had a mental block since. I will usually deploy lexicographal gymnastics to avoid using the word.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,043
Location
Up the creek
I’m afraid that includes me. Specifically, I don’t know when to use “its”. I must have missed that lesson at school, and had a mental block since. I will usually deploy lexicographal gymnastics to avoid using the word.

I also missed that lesson as my parents were set on me being a scientist. The simplest way to remember it is that ‘it’s’ is used for ‘it is’ and ‘its’ is for ’belonging to it’: it is the only time that the apostrophe-s does not indicate possession. It is a tiny bit more complicated than that, but that should almost always serve.

The grocer‘s apostrophe in a plural does annoy me.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,173
Location
Elginshire
I’m afraid that includes me. Specifically, I don’t know when to use “its”. I must have missed that lesson at school, and had a mental block since. I will usually deploy lexicographal gymnastics to avoid using the word.

It's easy to understand why people get this wrong. It is explained here:

This use, and misuse, of “its” and “it’s” can cause particular excitement amongst apostrophe pedants! The distinction is simple:


It’s – is a contraction of “it is” or “it has”, and uses an apostrophe to show that contraction:
  • It’s important to get this right
Its – is a possessive personal pronoun (like “our”, “his”, etc) indicating ownership, or possession, or association of something, and does not take an apostrophe:
  • The dog ate its bone and we ate our dinner
If you’re unsure whether you need “it’s” with an apostrophe, just expand out the contraction to “it is” or “it has”, and see if it makes sense:
  • “The dog ate it is bone” - doesn’t make sense, and is incorrect.
Note that there is never a valid use for having the apostrophe after the “its” – thus its’ is always wrong.

---------------

The one that's currently getting on my nerves is "based off" or, even worse, "based off of" instead of "based on". It seemed to be more of an American thing at first but seems to be increasingly more common over here.
 

DannyMich2018

Member
Joined
19 Dec 2018
Messages
944
Everywhere wanting feedback on how transactions went - the latest being a £1.49 purchase in Card Factory, and coffee & toast in Morrisons cafe.

Honestly guys - do away with this cost line, and let returning (or non-returning) customers tell you all you need to know about the quality of your operations.
Exactly so annoying. How did your courier do? In most cases for me in get delivered to a shop so never see the courier. A few days after receiving something off Ebay email going on about feedback, text from bank, how did your visit go? Text from council how was the service when you phoned. It's too much and feels like been hassled.
 

dcbwhaley

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2018
Messages
839
This is particularly bizarre when subject of discussion is some mundane household object. I've purchased a few of these in the past few months where I have been asked for feedback.

I'm sure you get the idea.
In my case some machine screws.
They have a spiral groove and a slot in the head
 

Bishopstone

Established Member
Joined
24 Jun 2010
Messages
1,689
Location
Seaford
Exactly so annoying. How did your courier do? In most cases for me in get delivered to a shop so never see the courier. A few days after receiving something off Ebay email going on about feedback, text from bank, how did your visit go? Text from council how was the service when you phoned. It's too much and feels like been hassled.

Ebay is particularly odd. I buy a photographic slide for £4 and give the seller perfect feedback, which eBay can read and analyse if they wish. Then, a week later, an email arrives asking if I'll answer some questions about my purchase. I mean, what more could possibly be said, and how much time do they intend to spend mulling over a transaction that made them (eBay) a profit of about 30 pence?

In some cases, feedback requests are a cover for gathering customer information for marketing purposes, but as an eBay user since 2000 they already know where I live and what I buy, so I doubt this is a marketing front.
 

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2009
Messages
6,736
Location
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
A wicked part of me wants to see How did we do? feedback comms sent for the following scenarios:
1) Our pub's door staff threw you out of our premises. How did we do?
2) Our police station held you overnight in a cell, before we released you without charge. How did we do?
3) You visited our brothel. How did we do?

Number 3 even better if sent to an email address also used by the recipient's spouse...
 

Drogba11CFC

Member
Joined
15 Sep 2009
Messages
941
I remember Facebook asking me to review the Royal Albert Bridge back in 2015.

"1 star. Tried to have a picnic on it and got run over by the 10:30 from Penzance."
 

bearhugger

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2015
Messages
689
Location
Middlesbrough
Everywhere wanting feedback on how transactions went - the latest being a £1.49 purchase in Card Factory, and coffee & toast in Morrisons cafe.

Honestly guys - do away with this cost line, and let returning (or non-returning) customers tell you all you need to know about the quality of your operations.
It's even worse when you order something online & it takes a week for it to be delivered! I bought a new waterproof jacket after the last heavy rain months ago, I still haven't used it in anger because of the dry spell we've had.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,043
Location
Up the creek
Customers, not staff, who try to block you when you go in to the main part of a supermarket through the gangway of a till that is completely clear. They self-importantly tell you that this is only for going out and you should use the In entrance. I am not queue-jumping, barging through a group of shoppers or pushing through doors: I just don’t see why what business of yours it is if I do that instead of walking to the entrance gates at the far end of the store and then back to what I want. Is your life so empty of meaning that you interrupt your shopping to do this or does it give you a thrill? The probable answer is ’yes’.
 

Peter C

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
4,739
Location
GWR land
I'd ban the slop AI adverts that are plaguing YouTube at the moment. Every time I click on a video, I get an advert telling me all I need to do to live until I'm 108 is tai chi (well it's a fake AI-generated 'person' and voice) - this after the adverts promoting a video game where the first line in the voiceover is "I don't think I like it"! Not to mention the fact that there are adverts seemingly every sixty seconds during the videos themselves...

-Peter
 

Welly

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2013
Messages
670
I'd ban the slop AI adverts that are plaguing YouTube at the moment. Every time I click on a video, I get an advert telling me all I need to do to live until I'm 108 is tai chi (well it's a fake AI-generated 'person' and voice) - this after the adverts promoting a video game where the first line in the voiceover is "I don't think I like it"! Not to mention the fact that there are adverts seemingly every sixty seconds during the videos themselves...

-Peter
Install Firefox browser and add uBlock Origin to it and you will never have to see YouTube ads again.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,882
Install Firefox browser and add uBlock Origin to it and you will never have to see YouTube ads again.
Which of course means that YouTube don't get revenue. If everyone did that, either it would be charge for or wouldn't exist. All very well some people being selfish, but...
 

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
Which of course means that YouTube don't get revenue. If everyone did that, either it would be charge for or wouldn't exist. All very well some people being selfish, but...
Exactly. Most of my viewing is YouTube. Yes it is a bit irritating at times when the adverts come, but I have a choice. Pay up or shut up. I could subscribe and remove adverts, but I don’t. Therefore I get the adverts. That’s absolutely fine by me. YouTube and its content makers need to make money. I’m ok with that. For the entertainment I get, a few seconds of adverts is a small price to pay.
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,961
Location
Gwynedd
I just use an adblocker. Don't have to pay for anything, don't have to deal with adverts.
 

Peter C

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
4,739
Location
GWR land
Which of course means that YouTube don't get revenue. If everyone did that, either it would be charge for or wouldn't exist. All very well some people being selfish, but...
I wouldn't mind YouTube adverts if they were like TV adverts - i.e., at sensible regular intervals, and of decent quality. But the adverts on YouTube now are often AI slop and they often cut in rudely in the middle of a sentence which, when you're watching videos about serious events such as war and destruction, comes across as particularly stupid. Why can't AI software be put to use there, and put adverts at sensible places in videos? I'd be fine with that.

-Peter
 

Chrius56000

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2010
Messages
262
Location
Walsall
. . .The whole subject of weapons, war and destruction in itself should be a banned subject in itself – glorifying it on "You Tube" or social media only gives encouragement to the tinpots, autocrats and dictators who glorify in human rights abuse!
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,653
Location
Greater Manchester
. . .The whole subject of weapons, war and destruction in itself should be a banned subject in itself – glorifying it on "You Tube" or social media only gives encouragement to the tinpots, autocrats and dictators who glorify in human rights abuse!
Maybe take it up with the school system first? They certainly teach a lot about war and conflict.
 

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2005
Messages
2,751
Location
Staffordshire
. . .The whole subject of weapons, war and destruction in itself should be a banned subject in itself – glorifying it on "You Tube" or social media only gives encouragement to the tinpots, autocrats and dictators who glorify in human rights abuse!
Educating and glorifying are (or at least should) be two very different things though.
 

Welly

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2013
Messages
670
I wouldn't mind YouTube adverts if they were like TV adverts - i.e., at sensible regular intervals, and of decent quality. But the adverts on YouTube now are often AI slop and they often cut in rudely in the middle of a sentence which, when you're watching videos about serious events such as war and destruction, comes across as particularly stupid. Why can't AI software be put to use there, and put adverts at sensible places in videos? I'd be fine with that.

-Peter
Thank you - that is why I use adblockers on YouTube - I don't think it is selfish to use my time better than sitting through carp!
 

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
Thank you - that is why I use adblockers on YouTube - I don't think it is selfish to use my time better than sitting through carp!
Yes but it’s you that chooses to look at YouTube! Think of all the time you’d save if you didn’t.

YouTube is providing a service. Don’t you think it’s fair to give them something back either by buying a subscription or simply watching the adverts?
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,961
Location
Gwynedd
For You Tube?
Is it free?
Yeah, Firefox+uBlock Origin works for me. Or Brave with built-in adblocker.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Yes but it’s you that chooses to look at YouTube! Think of all the time you’d save if you didn’t.

YouTube is providing a service. Don’t you think it’s fair to give them something back either by buying a subscription or simply watching the adverts?
YouTube does need revenue to keep going. I leave that to the people who don't use adblockers.

Much like I benefit from the free flights I get with credit cards rewards, at the expense of people who don't pay their balance off in full every month.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,038
I wouldn't mind YouTube adverts if they were like TV adverts - i.e., at sensible regular intervals, and of decent quality. But the adverts on YouTube now are often AI slop and they often cut in rudely in the middle of a sentence which, when you're watching videos about serious events such as war and destruction, comes across as particularly stupid. Why can't AI software be put to use there, and put adverts at sensible places in videos? I'd be fine with that.

-Peter
I sometimes use YouTube for long-distance train watching, via live webcams. I'm sure YT must have an algorithm that cuts in an advert when it detects an increase in on-screen movement. All the while nothing is happening it'll relay the stream, then just as a train appears an advert blocks it. It seems to happen too often to be coincidence.
 

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
Television dramas etc in which the same actors and actresses keep on reappearing. It’s often quite difficult to separate the role which you are now watching from the role they played before that and the one before that and……..

Supposedly there are many actors and actresses out of work. Maybe spread it around a bit.
 

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2010
Messages
1,486
Location
Outrageous Grace
I sometimes use YouTube for long-distance train watching, via live webcams. I'm sure YT must have an algorithm that cuts in an advert when it detects an increase in on-screen movement. All the while nothing is happening it'll relay the stream, then just as a train appears an advert blocks it. It seems to happen too often to be coincidence.
Bowled by u tube! :( :rolleyes:
 

Top