• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,499
Location
Birmingham
I don't dispute your reasoning, but it's an argument that's long been lost, with almost all businesses that use such numbers quoting them in print, on the internet and on the side of vans in the way you deplore. Of course, the reason given originally by B.T. for the change has proved to be utterly spurious, costing businesses a lot of money unnecessarily.
It's probably a legacy of when London numbers were 01, then 071/081, the 0171/0181 and the second half of the number was always quoted ### ####.

The fact that initially all 0171 numbers became 020 7 and 0181 numbers 020 8 with the last 7 digits unchnaged only served to reinforce that.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,584
The stench of popcorn too, one of the most revolting American imports ever.
Oh, got to agree with that, vile stuff!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

there’s a pretty big field in that competition. The most revolting, in my opinion, is use of the word ‘gotten’.
If we're going for vocabulary issues there are far too many Americanisms to list but pronouncing 'schedule' incorrectly, use of 'train station' rather than 'railway station' and the phrase 'can I get' are three of my pet hates.
 

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2010
Messages
1,486
Location
Outrageous Grace
I'd like to know more about why you don't like pasta! It might not be the most exciting food out there, on its own, but it's still pretty good for you :) Much better than the McDonald's stuff people have been discussing recently!

On which note:

People who like gherkins are weird, in my opinion. They're up there with kiwi in my view, just rather unpleasant and not for me thanks.

Here's a possible source of controversy:

Adding salt when cooking pasta/pierogi/vegetables/rice, yay or nay? For me, I deem it totally unnecessary, especially if adding a gravy/sauce to the meal. With the huge amount of salt in gravy granules (I'm too lazy to make it with Oxo cubes, flour etc :lol: ) and pasta sauces, there's no need to add a load of salt to the main components.

I know the women of the family use a bucket-load of salt when cooking vegetables, which doesn't suit me so much. I'm curious if others agree that there isn't a need to add salt to vegetables or other stuff though, even if that supposedly goes against tradition!
My chemistry teacher said you add salt to raise the boiling point (which it does) and thus cook the food quicker.
I'd have thought most of it would be lost with the liquor and not end up in the food. :smile:
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
I never salt anything other than chips. Never seen a need.
I never had salt to anything I cook. I don't add salt to anything unless it's been a really hot day and I've sweated buckets and then only a few sprinkles. :D I hate going into a restaurant and the food is so salty .:'(
My dad and my nan used to put spoonfulls of salt unto their food. YUK :D
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Something that isn’t really an irritation, but always strikes me as a bit silly: those adverts offering to sell you a copy of a newspaper from the day you were born. This is pretty well pointless as the information about what happened on the day your were born will be in the following day’s paper, or even those from the few days after that. Unless, of course, your only interest is in what the Court Circular shows as planned
 

Purple Train

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2022
Messages
2,479
Location
Exile or exile
We appear to have gotten into a sticky situation - how is one meant to write that phrase without "gotten"? Using "got" just sounds awful (but I should clarify that I'm not a fan of "gotten" either).
We seem to be somewhat stuck? We appear to have encountered some unforeseen issue? We appear to have waded into a puddle of treacle? ("We appear to be in a sticky situation?" would perhaps be closest to the original sentence without using "gotten" or "got", but I prefer to be creative :D.)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
I never salt anything other than chips. Never seen a need.

I'm glad we agree on that! :D

"I'd like to know more about why you don't like pasta! It might not be the most exciting food out there, on its own, but it's still pretty good for you :) Much better than the McDonald's stuff people have been discussing recently!"

Not sure really,something about the texture ,I have to have it liberally smothered in a rich tomato/cheesy sauce to enjoy it,quite agree about the Mc burger thingies though ,never touch any takeaways !

As I type this, I'm eating a takeaway, I should be eating something better but tonight I have no patience for cooking. Fair play to you for avoiding takeaways, I'm impressed! Pasta, I apply a fair bit of sauce to my pasta too as I don't like it on its own!

there’s a pretty big field in that competition. The most revolting, in my opinion, is use of the word ‘gotten’.

I'll concur on that, whenever I go to use the word 'gotten' I immediately change it. 'Got' doesn't sound quite right but it doesn't annoy me like 'gotten' does.

My chemistry teacher said you add salt to raise the boiling point (which it does) and thus cook the food quicker.
I'd have thought most of it would be lost with the liquor and not end up in the food. :smile:

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. I find my pasta, rice or vegetables cook almost as quick anyway, and since the gravy/sauce is loaded with salt anyway then it seems like an easy win to get the flavour into the food.

I will say though that pierogi in non-salted water, on its own, is a bit bland so I will make an exception for that on the rare occasion I cook it. Which is not often, as I usually make a mess of it and they burst when I take my eyes off the pan for a second :lol:
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,584
My chemistry teacher said you add salt to raise the boiling point (which it does) and thus cook the food quicker.
I'd have thought most of it would be lost with the liquor and not end up in the food. :smile:
No, as the water evaporates the salt gets left behind so will end up in the food.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Something that isn’t really an irritation, but always strikes me as a bit silly: those adverts offering to sell you a copy of a newspaper from the day you were born. This is pretty well pointless as the information about what happened on the day your were born will be in the following day’s paper, or even those from the few days after that. Unless, of course, your only interest is in what the Court Circular shows as planned

If I might, with respect, not fully agree; I feel that things to do with what actually happened on the day one was born -- or for many days thereafter -- are pretty much moot: in the nature of things, an infant will have no idea whatsoever, of any such stuff. Matters of doings on -- or before or after -- one's day of birth, are "ceremonial / symbolic / figurative", rather than factual: in the "newspaper" instance -- if I were interested in owning such an item, I'd rather have it for the actual day of my birth. I feel that this is something in which logic and the making of sense, have no part. I experience some annoyance, that I was born seven months after the formation of British Railways; I do wish that I might have come along just a little bit earlier -- so that I could enjoy the awareness of having been alive in the times of the "Big Four", even if for only a couple of days. Similarly, I feel absurdly pleased that for the first two weeks of my life, the Corris Railway was in (freight-only) service, before its abandonment by BR. This is of course, totally "gut" stuff -- with my head, I'm aware that as a newborn, I'd have been / was totally oblivious to any of this.

We seem to be somewhat stuck? We appear to have encountered some unforeseen issue? We appear to have waded into a puddle of treacle? ("We appear to be in a sticky situation?" would perhaps be closest to the original sentence without using "gotten" or "got", but I prefer to be creative :D.)

My thanks for the above, which I see keeping for use the next time I play "Consequences".

CONSEQUENCE WAS: They waded into a pool of treacle.

AND THE WORLD SAID: We appear to be in a sticky situation.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
If I might, with respect, not fully agree; I feel that things to do with what actually happened on the day one was born -- or for many days thereafter -- are pretty much moot: in the nature of things, an infant will have no idea whatsoever, of any such stuff. Matters of doings on -- or before or after -- one's day of birth, are "ceremonial / symbolic / figurative", rather than factual: in the "newspaper" instance -- if I were interested in owning such an item, I'd rather have it for the actual day of my birth. I feel that this is something in which logic and the making of sense, have no part. I experience some annoyance, that I was born seven months after the formation of British Railways; I do wish that I might have come along just a little bit earlier -- so that I could enjoy the awareness of having been alive in the times of the "Big Four", even if for only a couple of days. Similarly, I feel absurdly pleased that for the first two weeks of my life, the Corris Railway was in (freight-only) service, before its abandonment by BR. This is of course, totally "gut" stuff -- with my head, I'm aware that as a newborn, I'd have been / was totally oblivious to any of this.

To a certain extent I agree that is fairly pointless, but these gifts are often advertised as ‘find out what happened on the day you were born’. They should be saying ‘find out what happened in the days before you were born.’ On my birthday I suspect the main subject would have been the largest peacetime loss of life of British firefighters or, for the ‘woke’, the Sharpeville massacre.
 

Runningaround

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2022
Messages
799
Where you can of course choose to add gherkins, which I did earlier on, I like them! :)

At Maccies you can remove any ingredient using the touchscreen, the gherkin included.
I tried to remove the bun, burger and salad once and keep the cardboard packaging as it tastes better.
 

Runningaround

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2022
Messages
799
Only if cooked properly. Pan-fried in garlic butter with pine nuts and a bit of salt and basil.

Iceberg lettuce on the other hand? The most pointless vegetable the world has ever seen.
Best lettuce of them all nice and crisp and not like the bitter, hipster fancy stuff.
 

Runningaround

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2022
Messages
799
I'd like to know more about why you don't like pasta! It might not be the most exciting food out there, on its own, but it's still pretty good for you :) Much better than the McDonald's stuff people have been discussing recently!

On which note:

People who like gherkins are weird, in my opinion. They're up there with kiwi in my view, just rather unpleasant and not for me thanks.

Here's a possible source of controversy:

Adding salt when cooking pasta/pierogi/vegetables/rice, yay or nay? For me, I deem it totally unnecessary, especially if adding a gravy/sauce to the meal. With the huge amount of salt in gravy granules (I'm too lazy to make it with Oxo cubes, flour etc :lol: ) and pasta sauces, there's no need to add a load of salt to the main components.

I know the women of the family use a bucket-load of salt when cooking vegetables, which doesn't suit me so much. I'm curious if others agree that there isn't a need to add salt to vegetables or other stuff though, even if that supposedly goes against tradition!
Adding salt to most veg is utterly pointless as you cannot taste the difference, the only veg you add salt or better a Veggie Oxo cube is to the green veg then use the boiling water for gravy.
 

Stan63

Member
Joined
20 Apr 2014
Messages
68
Location
Paisley
I'd ban people who can't eat in a restaurant without continually clattering their cutlery off the plate like someone sending a message in morse code. A woman eating next to me last week was really grating my rind by doing this so loud that the whole damn place could hear.

Stan
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Adding salt to most veg is utterly pointless as you cannot taste the difference, the only veg you add salt or better a Veggie Oxo cube is to the green veg then use the boiling water for gravy.

Depends on the amount of salt :lol: My family put quite a bit of salt in their veg, not a measured amount on a teaspoon and more a pour a load in!

I do find my swede tastes better with some salt, but then again I usually steam it so maybe that wouldn't matter. A bit of pepper, while boiling swede, I do find makes a nice difference. I rarely use salt even with swede though, or pepper. The purer the veg is, the better!

EDIT: I forgot to add something that riled me up earlier. I'm currently watching the Commonwealth Games track cycling on iPlayer, and the coverage is good apart from the one commentator who sounds like he would rather not be there. Better than coverage on other occasions, so I'm happy about that. What annoyed me though was looking for today's afternoon session, ready to start it and finish it tomorrow (I have to be at work at 4am, otherwise I'd watch it now).

So what annoyed me? Scrolling to the session, one of the coverage options is titled 'What You Missed When The Euros Were On'. I didn't miss anything because of the Euros, I don't follow football and I'm mighty glad of that. Let's not go there, I'll be hearing all about it tomorrow I suspect at work! I was too busy catching up all day on Tour de France Femmes, yesterday's track cycling and this morning's session. I'm just irrationally wound up by the BBC suggesting that we all watch football and that we turned off the Commonwealth Games to watch the women's football.

I've already found out they won, but quite honestly I'm more interested in how well Annemiek van Vleuten won the first Tour de France Femmes avec Zwift! What a beast of a performance she put in, and I was happy to see one of my favourite female cyclists win the landmark event. The other favourite female cyclist, for anyone curious, is Laura Kenny although I would have to make it 3 spots for my favourites to fit in Katie Archibald :D

I have no interest in the football, and the BBC suggesting that is all anyone cared about today really hacked me off! On a related note, I am at least happy that I'm making the most of my TV licence for once!
 
Last edited:

ABB125

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2016
Messages
4,354
Location
University of Birmingham
I've just read a message from someone which started with "must of gotten...". Based on the contents of this thread, they probably should be hung, drawn and quartered! :D
 

Runningaround

Member
Joined
24 Mar 2022
Messages
799
Depends on the amount of salt :lol: My family put quite a bit of salt in their veg, not a measured amount on a teaspoon and more a pour a load in!

I do find my swede tastes better with some salt, but then again I usually steam it so maybe that wouldn't matter. A bit of pepper, while boiling swede, I do find makes a nice difference. I rarely use salt even with swede though, or pepper. The purer the veg is, the better!
Its like sugar and milk in tea you don't notice after a while and find it taste far better without.
I remember the argument between two regulars in a my local of similar age, one putting a crust of salt on his soup, who didn't smoke the other a heavier drinking and smoker. Heavy Salt user had the first Stroke but was wheelchair bound and needed care, the drinker was independent and out and about up until a few weeks death but he died a few years before Salt Man.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
To a certain extent I agree that is fairly pointless, but these gifts are often advertised as ‘find out what happened on the day you were born’. They should be saying ‘find out what happened in the days before you were born.’ On my birthday I suspect the main subject would have been the largest peacetime loss of life of British firefighters or, for the ‘woke’, the Sharpeville massacre.

I was born on August 2nd 1948. Have long known a famous-ish event from an August 2nd: the somewhat mysterious / potentially suspicious death of King William Rufus in the New Forest in 1100 (!). I have no idea what may have happened in the wider world on the actual day of my birth -- in the actual year concerned. Googling, I came upon indications of various Net outfits which supposedly can and will lead one to that information; but I'm decidedly computer-un-clever, plus it's late at night and I'm tired -- could get no performance of the feat, from any of them. Further looking into this, postponed.
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,797
The most interesting piece in papers the day you were born would be the TV and radio schedule! To that end, BBC, ITV (in it's infancy), then Home, Light, Third and I think Luxembourg were the choices in 1958.
TV hasn't improved much in 63 yrs 11 months...
 

bspahh

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2017
Messages
2,444

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,171
Location
Wilmslow
I've just read a message from someone which started with "must of gotten...". Based on the contents of this thread, they probably should be hung, drawn and quartered! :D
That's bad, but not because of "gotten" which I don't mind and which has heritage, but "must of", really??? Not uncommon, sadly.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Plus, today, completely over-the-top coverage of some football game which took place yesterday.
I'm pleased in one way that women are getting coverage of their sports in ways that never happened before, but I just about hate football in all its forms (bad experiences at school!) and don't want to have anything to do with it, but at the moment its coverage is obliterating all the nice politics stories that interest me much more!
 
Last edited:

Top