Yes, a lot of them are bossy, often giving the impression that the attitude is: ‘You’ve finished, so shove off and let us empty somebody else’s pockets.’ However, the voice asking you if you want a receipt in the near-ish Sainsbury’s Local is a different one and is almost apologetic. In the Co-op the opportunity to get a receipt seems to have been designed to appear just when all normal people have their attention elsewhere, but if you are not quick enough the opportunity disappears.
(I always like a receipt: I was once stopped in the street outside a shop after somebody thought I had shoplifted. The manager and the accusing member of staff made a right public exhibition of themselves, but the security guard was rather more controlled. It was only after the appearance of another member of staff who was able to confirm that I wasn’t the (regular) shoplifter that they though I was that I was allowed, somewhat ungraciously, to go.)