• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,904
My wife’s ex-boss used to have Earl Grey with milk and sugar.
That's how I have Earl Grey.

I also put milk in camomile tea.

On the subject of when to put the sugar in. Before anything else. That way you use a dry spoon and don't mess up the sugar in the bowl. Also, adding the hot water agitates the sugar assisting the dissolution process. Adding the sugar after the milk is just crazy. The reduced temperature inhibits dissolution.

Mind, I am more of a coffee drinker than a tea drinker.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
Words and slang that appear out of nowhere on social media that everyone starts using, which you are suddenly expected to know what they mean and are ridiculed if you don't. e.g.

"Woke"
"Karen"
Etc.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Can we ban any advert that uses the phrase "..it's what we do.."

I had this over the tannoy this morning whilst doing my shopping at the Co-op.

That phrase just grates on me, for some reason. <( <(
 

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,523
Location
Northern England
Words and slang that appear out of nowhere on social media that everyone starts using, which you are suddenly expected to know what they mean and are ridiculed if you don't. e.g.

"Woke"
"Karen"
Etc.
OK, well for a start, "woke" means "slightly more progressive than myself", where the speaker is usually extremely conservative.
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
OK, well for a start, "woke" means "slightly more progressive than myself", where the speaker is usually extremely conservative.

I know what they mean now.

It's when the words suddenly appear in common parlance and you have to catch up....
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,500
Location
Birmingham
I know what they mean now.

It's when the words suddenly appear in common parlance and you have to catch up....
'Gaslighting' is another one which seemed to appear from nowhere. Apparently the name derives from an obscure 1940s film but I'd never heard the term until a few years ago.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
'Gaslighting' is another one which seemed to appear from nowhere. Apparently the name derives from an obscure 1940s film but I'd never heard the term until a few years ago.

Yes you had. You definitely remember it… ;)
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,049
Location
Up the creek
'Gaslighting' is another one which seemed to appear from nowhere. Apparently the name derives from an obscure 1940s film but I'd never heard the term until a few years ago.
Gaslight, released in 1944, was a well known film at the time with some major stars: Ingrid Bergman, Charles Boyer, Joseph Cotten, Angela Lansbury, etc. It is still regarded as a classic film noir.
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
'Gaslighting' is another one which seemed to appear from nowhere. Apparently the name derives from an obscure 1940s film but I'd never heard the term until a few years ago.

I confess I had to look it up just the other day as to what *Exactly* it meant.

If Twitter to be believed, everybody is gaslighting everybody else these days.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,500
Location
Birmingham
Gaslight, released in 1944, was a well known film at the time with some major stars: Ingrid Bergman, Charles Boyer, Joseph Cotten, Angela Lansbury, etc. It is still regarded as a classic film noir.
I'm sure it was well known at the time it was released 77 years ago, but prior to the term 'gaslighting' coming into common use a few years, hardly anyone other than fans of either film noir or 40s cinema in general (both very much niche interests held by a tiny minority of people) would have heard of it.
 

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2010
Messages
1,486
Location
Outrageous Grace
People saying 'of course' when what they're talking about isn't immediately obvious to the vast majority of people.

I'll agree with that.

I was waiting for my TV to finish waking up earlier, for it to pick up a WiFi signal, and had to endure a small bit of that Steph's Packed Lunch. Not only would I ban such nonsense TV, but on it today at that time was a segment about 'everyday hacks that will change your life'. At that point, the 'hack' was removing the inner tube from a roll of bathroom paper and pulling some of it through. The premise to make it work more like a box of tissues.

"Oh wow! I MUST try that!" said no one, anywhere, ever! Thankfully shortly afterwards I was able to press the YouTube button on my remote, not before I had to endure the most well known 'hack' ever, the one with the tab on a can of fizzy pop being used to hold a straw in place. Another one of those 'hacks' I can't see how it changes someone's life, not as infuriating as the paper roll one granted. That really annoyed me somehow!
I've done both those things. Never looked back! :rolleyes: ;)


Words and slang that appear out of nowhere on social media that everyone starts using, which you are suddenly expected to know what they mean and are ridiculed if you don't. e.g.

"Woke"
"Karen"
Etc.
Add gaslighting....
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,889
Large shrubberies on roundabouts, which mean you can’t see if anything is coming round the roundabout.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
M5 Friday afternoon traffic and hangovers.

edit - I don’t mean at the same time!
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,500
Location
Birmingham
Large shrubberies on roundabouts, which mean you can’t see if anything is coming round the roundabout.
The problem with shrubberies is if you give one to someone, they come back to you the next day wanting another shrubbery.
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,500
Location
Birmingham
We could ban the 90% of Monty Python that is total dross and just be left with the occasional funny bits.
Despite being a huge fan of their films (both Life of Brian and Holy Grail are in the top 5 comedy films ever IMO) I'm inclined to agree. Whenever I've seen the original episodes I've always thought the bulk of the content was dire, interspersed with the occasional piece of comedy genius.
 

Top