• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2015
Messages
2,442
Location
Hampshire (nearly a Hog)
Heath Town
is on the Midland Railway line to Water Orton, so not on our itinerary. However I fear that I have led us on a (short) wild goose chase. We need to get to the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway via Wolverhampton Low Level. @Ash Bridge correctly posted

Stafford Road
but from there we should have taken the Wolverhampton Junction Railway (the only route after 1858) via:

Dunstall Park

and onwards via Cannock Road Junction to the OW&WR

(The temporary station at Wolverhampton Wednesfield Road was on the line of the original S&BR main line to Wolverhampton High Level, so we couldn't have gone that way. Apologies)
 
Last edited:

DerekC

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2015
Messages
2,442
Location
Hampshire (nearly a Hog)
Dunstall Park?
Sorry - I should have been clearer - I was posting that on #168974 but it was a bit lost in the text. I hadn't really appreciated how complicated the history of the approach to Wolverhampton was. In 1850 the temporary station at Wednesfield Road was scene of a full blown riot between navvies of the Shrewsbury & Birmingham Railway and the Birmingham, Wolverhampton & Stour Valley Railway (part of the LNWR) over access to the route to Birmingham New Street. The former had running powers which the latter was determined to prevent them using. Riot Act read, soldiers with fixed bayonets, the lot! As a result the S&B fell out with the LNWR and as soon as it could, built its link to the GWR (via Dunstall Park). I will do a sketch map when I have time.

Wolverhampton Low Level

Priestfield
 

Whistler40145

Established Member
Joined
30 Apr 2010
Messages
6,149
Location
Lancashire
Sorry - I should have been clearer - I was posting that on #168974 but it was a bit lost in the text. I hadn't really appreciated how complicated the history of the approach to Wolverhampton was. In 1850 the temporary station at Wednesfield Road was scene of a full blown riot between navvies of the Shrewsbury & Birmingham Railway and the Birmingham, Wolverhampton & Stour Valley Railway (part of the LNWR) over access to the route to Birmingham New Street. The former had running powers which the latter was determined to prevent them using. Riot Act read, soldiers with fixed bayonets, the lot! As a result the S&B fell out with the LNWR and as soon as it could, built its link to the GWR (via Dunstall Park). I will do a sketch map when I have time.



Priestfield
Now totally confused
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
Now totally confused
9 Don’t worry Tim, we will just put it down to the weather :D ;)
Sorry - I should have been clearer - I was posting that on #168974 but it was a bit lost in the text. I hadn't really appreciated how complicated the history of the approach to Wolverhampton was. In 1850 the temporary station at Wednesfield Road was scene of a full blown riot between navvies of the Shrewsbury & Birmingham Railway and the Birmingham, Wolverhampton & Stour Valley Railway (part of the LNWR) over access to the route to Birmingham New Street. The former had running powers which the latter was determined to prevent them using. Riot Act read, soldiers with fixed bayonets, the lot! As a result the S&B fell out with the LNWR and as soon as it could, built its link to the GWR (via Dunstall Park). I will do a sketch map when I have time.



Priestfield
Bilston West
 

Top