Xenophon PCDGS
Veteran Member
Worleston
is on the Midland Railway line to Water Orton, so not on our itinerary. However I fear that I have led us on a (short) wild goose chase. We need to get to the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway via Wolverhampton Low Level. @Ash Bridge correctly postedHeath Town
but from there we should have taken the Wolverhampton Junction Railway (the only route after 1858) via:Stafford Road
Sorry - I should have been clearer - I was posting that on #168974 but it was a bit lost in the text. I hadn't really appreciated how complicated the history of the approach to Wolverhampton was. In 1850 the temporary station at Wednesfield Road was scene of a full blown riot between navvies of the Shrewsbury & Birmingham Railway and the Birmingham, Wolverhampton & Stour Valley Railway (part of the LNWR) over access to the route to Birmingham New Street. The former had running powers which the latter was determined to prevent them using. Riot Act read, soldiers with fixed bayonets, the lot! As a result the S&B fell out with the LNWR and as soon as it could, built its link to the GWR (via Dunstall Park). I will do a sketch map when I have time.Dunstall Park?
Wolverhampton Low Level
Now totally confusedSorry - I should have been clearer - I was posting that on #168974 but it was a bit lost in the text. I hadn't really appreciated how complicated the history of the approach to Wolverhampton was. In 1850 the temporary station at Wednesfield Road was scene of a full blown riot between navvies of the Shrewsbury & Birmingham Railway and the Birmingham, Wolverhampton & Stour Valley Railway (part of the LNWR) over access to the route to Birmingham New Street. The former had running powers which the latter was determined to prevent them using. Riot Act read, soldiers with fixed bayonets, the lot! As a result the S&B fell out with the LNWR and as soon as it could, built its link to the GWR (via Dunstall Park). I will do a sketch map when I have time.
Priestfield
9 Don’t worry Tim, we will just put it down to the weatherNow totally confused
Bilston WestSorry - I should have been clearer - I was posting that on #168974 but it was a bit lost in the text. I hadn't really appreciated how complicated the history of the approach to Wolverhampton was. In 1850 the temporary station at Wednesfield Road was scene of a full blown riot between navvies of the Shrewsbury & Birmingham Railway and the Birmingham, Wolverhampton & Stour Valley Railway (part of the LNWR) over access to the route to Birmingham New Street. The former had running powers which the latter was determined to prevent them using. Riot Act read, soldiers with fixed bayonets, the lot! As a result the S&B fell out with the LNWR and as soon as it could, built its link to the GWR (via Dunstall Park). I will do a sketch map when I have time.
Priestfield