DerekC
Established Member
Was it not the case that the first station at Kittybrewster was a terminal station on what is regarded as a stub line to Aberdeen Waterloo and the next two Kittybrewster stations were built on a totally different line formations to that, leading to Hutcheon Street station on the line of the GNoS Denburn Valley Line.
I couldn't find much evidence for the first two stations. The first station was a terminus, used pending the completion of the line to Aberdeen Waterloo. Whether it was north or south of the later junction with the Denburn Valley line, I don't know. The fact that it was replaced by the second station when the line to Waterloo opened suggests that it might have been further from the town and north of the junction, but this is conjecture on my part. The earliest map I can find is dated 1869, just at the point where the Denburn Valley opened. At that point Kittybrewster station appears to have platforms on the DV and on the branch to Waterloo, but this isn't very clear and the OS surveyors may have been mapping a temporary arrangement. There is no sign of a station on the branch, or any space where one might have been. However there is what appears to be a goods station north of the junction, on a spur to the west. This is a possible site for the first station. I wonder if there is a publication somewhere which makes all this clear.
Anyway .. Aberdeen Ferryhill
Last edited: