• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 810 for East Midlands Railway Construction/Introduction Updates

PG

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
3,470
Location
at the end of the high and low roads
2028 for introduction then!

On a serious note, surely your driver union team have been involved throughout with the design and layout of the cab? I thought they were always involved early on to agree that everything is acceptable?
This has echoes of the 701 cab (non-)acceptance written all over it...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kneedown

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2007
Messages
1,837
Location
Nottinghamshire
It’s hard to say as I didn’t actually move it and it was a hop in hop out look, but the nose felt longer than a 222, definitely harder to judge where the coupler would be. I jumped straight in a 222 after I’d been in the 810 and it confirmed what I’d thought, the 222 seemed stubby compared to the 810. I’m under 6ft too but the seat and pedal had loads of movement. Just felt a bit like you had blinkers on with the screen ‘walls’ rather side of you.
Cheers for that. I'll probably just have to wait until I learn them to find out. I know the pedal height is adjustable, but that's not much use if the seat only comes so high. As you'll know, some Drivers are even more vertically challenged than me.
It does appear to be a lovely, well thought out cab design though, and I'm looking forward to learning them. 222s are a bit samey since we lost the HSTs, and indeed 180s, and I don't get much 360 work.
 

kevjs

Member
Joined
4 Sep 2013
Messages
469
One of the things here is the USB A is limited to 500mA at 5 Volts. USB C can provide far more current and voltage, which gets back to overall load issues, and folks causing the circuit to trip. A coach full of folks charging their phone via USB A is one thing. A coach load of folks running their MacBook laptops powered via USB C is an entirely different thing!
USB-C PD allows the chargers to negotiate what they output - On most multi-output chargers the power actually gets cut to all devices when something new is plugged in and the devices renegotiate - e.g. on my 90W charger the 45W port will only output that with a maximum of two devices connected, connect a forth and it drops to 25W. My Laptop require at 110W charger to fully charge & power itself, but under normal office tasks a 45W charger is sufficient to stop the battery draining, and even a 25W charger will slowly charge it when turned off. USB-C is very flexible in this regard.

Would probably struggle scaling that to coach level, but at pair of seat/table level that sort of thing could work, providing maximum power on your own, dropping down as more devices are attached.

Using USB-C universally (on the railways, buses, taxis, and transport interchanges) would mean that eScooters, hair curlers etc couldn't even be plugged in, while meaning people don't need to carry 3 separate things with them constantly to ensure they can connect it (USB-C to USB-C Cable; USB-C to USB-A Adapter; standard charger).
 

bib

Member
Joined
15 Nov 2021
Messages
248
Location
East Midlands
Appear to have 2 hooks for cycles to hang from
Might be an issue at times / require enforcement of reservations. I've taken evening commuter trains from Derby-Leicester a few times over the summer and there's been 3-6 bikes wedged in, although generally at least 1-2 of them have been folding bikes that can be kept in the vestibule/luggage rack. I suppose if they run 810s as 2x5 cars in the peak then there would be 4 spaces.
 

Aspen90

Member
Joined
12 Sep 2018
Messages
263
Location
Leicester
Yes it’s the 2 bike spaces. Some of the comments from cyclists on EMR twitter etc are quite abrupt! I take a pushchair with me on the train and I fold it up as requested. I know I use the train a lot so bought a suitable compact pushchair accordingly. Some cyclists expect a whole coach for these non folding bikes!
 

InTheEastMids

Established Member
Joined
31 Jan 2016
Messages
1,404
Yes it’s the 2 bike spaces. Some of the comments from cyclists on EMR twitter etc are quite abrupt! I take a pushchair with me on the train and I fold it up as requested. I know I use the train a lot so bought a suitable compact pushchair accordingly. Some cyclists expect a whole coach for these non folding bikes!
It is not unreasonable to aspire to an integrated transport system that properly supports cyclists. I think it's fair to say that historically at least, both highways engineers and the rail industry have viewed them as a nuisance/after-thought, and many people still do (which does help explain why people can get a bit militant about these things).

The point I would make is that the 810s perhaps perpetuate this thinking at a time when the city centre destinations served by every EMR train are seeing significant investment to promote cycling - particularly London. So demand for carrying bikes is probably going to increase and I wonder if 3-4 spaces per 5-car train might be a bit more future-proof. Although in general I'd hope anyone doing a frequent commute by rail and bike can take advantage of a Cycle to Work scheme to get a half-decent folding bike.

A bit OT but hopefully GBR will make some progress on things like
- integrating (e-)bike rental into ticketing and stations, just make it seamless like we have with Travelcards for the last few decades
- station-station bicycle shipping so that people can travel without their bikes, as I am not sure that the 153-based solution that Scotrail are using would work very well with an 810
 

Meerkat

Established Member
Joined
14 Jul 2018
Messages
9,276
It is not unreasonable to aspire to an integrated transport system that properly supports cyclists. I think it's fair to say that historically at least, both highways engineers and the rail industry have viewed them as a nuisance/after-thought, and many people still do (which does help explain why people can get a bit militant about these things).

The point I would make is that the 810s perhaps perpetuate this thinking at a time when the city centre destinations served by every EMR train are seeing significant investment to promote cycling - particularly London. So demand for carrying bikes is probably going to increase and I wonder if 3-4 spaces per 5-car train might be a bit more future-proof. Although in general I'd hope anyone doing a frequent commute by rail and bike can take advantage of a Cycle to Work scheme to get a half-decent folding bike.

A bit OT but hopefully GBR will make some progress on things like
- integrating (e-)bike rental into ticketing and stations, just make it seamless like we have with Travelcards for the last few decades
- station-station bicycle shipping so that people can travel without their bikes, as I am not sure that the 153-based solution that Scotrail are using would work very well with an 810
Bike rental schemes at the destination would be better than a load of awkward bikes using precious capacity on the 810s. Bikes are a pain moving through stations too ( especially at Guildford where GWR allow bikes in the peak and they are often mountain bikes heading for the hills, with ludicrously wide handlebars!)
 

irish_rail

On Moderation
Joined
30 Oct 2013
Messages
4,527
Location
Plymouth
Did you find the high dash affected forward visibility much?
The simulator has appalling forward visibility for those of us under 6ft tall, but I'm hoping it's just the way the seat is mounted in the room.
Certainly with the GWR 80x, the view is restricted by the very high dash. It doesn't help that the driving seats tend to be quite unpredictable , in that sometimes they allow the driver to sit high up with a view , whereas other times the seat doesn't want to rise to any height at all, causing a very poor forward view. This also causes a sensation of going far slower than is actually the case, and so the risk is you think you are hitting a platform just right, then look at the speedo and it's squeaky bum time! Removing the strip of carpet at top of the dash would help, still not sure what it's purpose is?!
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
Certainly with the GWR 80x, the view is restricted by the very high dash. It doesn't help that the driving seats tend to be quite unpredictable , in that sometimes they allow the driver to sit high up with a view , whereas other times the seat doesn't want to rise to any height at all, causing a very poor forward view. This also causes a sensation of going far slower than is actually the case, and so the risk is you think you are hitting a platform just right, then look at the speedo and it's squeaky bum time! Removing the strip of carpet at top of the dash would help, still not sure what it's purpose is?!
The carpet is there to place your hand on when standing and leaning forward to watch train when it couples (so I’ve been told).
 

irish_rail

On Moderation
Joined
30 Oct 2013
Messages
4,527
Location
Plymouth
The carpet is there to place your hand on when standing and leaning forward to watch train when it couples (so I’ve been told).
I've heard many different stories on what it's for, but never had an official explanation. Either way, it isn't helpful in my view (as someone who has driven the things for past 6 years).
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
I've heard many different stories on what it's for, but never had an official explanation. Either way, it isn't helpful in my view (as someone who has driven the things for past 6 years).
It’s really reassuring when people can’t tell you what things are for……
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,926
Certainly with the GWR 80x, the view is restricted by the very high dash. It doesn't help that the driving seats tend to be quite unpredictable , in that sometimes they allow the driver to sit high up with a view , whereas other times the seat doesn't want to rise to any height at all, causing a very poor forward view. This also causes a sensation of going far slower than is actually the case, and so the risk is you think you are hitting a platform just right, then look at the speedo and it's squeaky bum time! Removing the strip of carpet at top of the dash would help, still not sure what it's purpose is?!
Along with similar retrofitted rubber steps on other traction such as 170 my understanding is that it's there to try and cushion any impact on your head against the desk in the case of a sudden deceleration or impact. I'm sure I had that from a rolling stock designer.
 

Kneedown

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2007
Messages
1,837
Location
Nottinghamshire
Along with similar retrofitted rubber steps on other traction such as 170 my understanding is that it's there to try and cushion any impact on your head against the desk in the case of a sudden deceleration or impact. I'm sure I had that from a rolling stock designer.
I suppose if you find yourself in that situation, a carpet burn on the forehead will be the least of your worries.
 

irish_rail

On Moderation
Joined
30 Oct 2013
Messages
4,527
Location
Plymouth
Along with similar retrofitted rubber steps on other traction such as 170 my understanding is that it's there to try and cushion any impact on your head against the desk in the case of a sudden deceleration or impact. I'm sure I had that from a rolling stock designer.
Except the strip is too far away from where your head would go if in that situation. You'd need to be 7 foot tall for your head to impact that area during those circumstances, so again I'm not convinced. I'm not convinced Hitachi actually knows either, certainly the travelling fitters can't give a definitive answer. Removing it would give better forward vision and a more realistic feeling of speed, and would cost nothing.
 

Aspen90

Member
Joined
12 Sep 2018
Messages
263
Location
Leicester
Just used Avanti and I know it’s only a minor thing but lighting… The lighting on a Pendolino is warm and inviting, the 80X lighting is so over the top. It’s too bright and harsh. How do people sleep on them? I’ve heard the 810 has variable lighting so hopefully they can be dimmed. Can anyone shed any (pardon the pun) light on this?
 

traindoll

New Member
Joined
11 Aug 2024
Messages
1
Location
london
Bit late to the party but can anyone explain why the 810s are running on diesel in layman’s terms? I thought the industry was moving away from diesel?
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
Bit late to the party but can anyone explain why the 810s are running on diesel in layman’s terms? I thought the industry was moving away from diesel?
Because when they were ordered OHL was not planned to reach Sheffield/Nottingham for several years, as Midland line is getting Electrified in small sections.

When or if it does get all electrified, engines can be removed.
 

Kneedown

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2007
Messages
1,837
Location
Nottinghamshire
Because when they were ordered OHL was not planned to reach Sheffield/Nottingham for several years, as Midland line is getting Electrified in small sections.

When or if it does get all electrified, engines can be removed.
They won't be removed though, as there is no current plan to electrify the many diversionary routes that keep the MML services relatively robust.
 

QSK19

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2020
Messages
1,146
Location
Leicestershire
They won't be removed though, as there is no current plan to electrify the many diversionary routes that keep the MML services relatively robust.
I suppose they could be removed if and when battery technology becomes viable. So long as there is some sort of traction method that allows operation on non-electrified lines, diesel or otherwise.
 

Aspen90

Member
Joined
12 Sep 2018
Messages
263
Location
Leicester
I suppose they could be removed if and when battery technology becomes viable. So long as there is some sort of traction method that allows operation on non-electrified lines, diesel or otherwise.
One problem I was thinking… If there’s a power problem and they have to revert to diesel… Great when there’s 4 engines but lose one and you’d be stuffed up Sharnbrook! 222’s it’s doable on 4 engines but they’ve got 5 to start with.
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,583
One problem I was thinking… If there’s a power problem and they have to revert to diesel… Great when there’s 4 engines but lose one and you’d be stuffed up Sharnbrook! 222’s it’s doable on 4 engines but they’ve got 5 to start with.
Really, they're not exactly low power to start with. 45s et al all managed dragging greater loads.
Progress may be slower but can't believe they wouldn't manage.
 

NSEWonderer

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2020
Messages
2,909
Location
London
One problem I was thinking… If there’s a power problem and they have to revert to diesel… Great when there’s 4 engines but lose one and you’d be stuffed up Sharnbrook! 222’s it’s doable on 4 engines but they’ve got 5 to start with.

Wasn't it said that the 810s 4 engines together produce more HP than all 5 engines on the 222? So I'm assuming they'd be able to run on 3 plus they should be lighter surely.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,879
Location
East Anglia
Wasn't it said that the 810s 4 engines together produce more HP than all 5 engines on the 222? So I'm assuming they'd be able to run on 3 plus they should be lighter surely.

Yes you’d be able to run on three but best to have four for insurance purposes. On the 755/4s we can run on three but you notice the difference with acceleration. Best to have a full quota.
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
My faith and trust in maintenance is clearly well below everybody else’s :D
If it’s like all over 8Xx they will have one engine not working within weeks or interdiction.

Several of Avanti 805s are already running with one engine not working.
 

Top