DaveNewcastle
Established Member
I'm puzzling over an Excess I asked for today. Even after looking at all the possible ticket prices available I still can't work out how the cost was calculated!
I was travelling from Dalmeny (DAM)(and the site of my avatar) to Newcastle (NCL) but my ticket was only from Dalmeny to Berwick-upon-Tweed. It was the Return portion of a special offer ticket costing £22 (for the return journey).
What might be confusing me is that I had already travelled part of my journey on the ticket to get from Dalmeny to Edinburgh and was then on an East Coast service when getting the Excess (which wasn't going to be stopping at Berwick). I was travelling outside the Peak.
The most expensive Std class Single I can see for DAM-NCL is £53.50 (there don't seem to be any others other than Advances).
The Returns are £107.00 (others at £56.00 and £54.30)
And the most expensive Std class Single I can see for EDB-NCL is £42.00 (all others are Advances)
The most expensive Return is £84.00 (others at £45.50 and £44.30)
So, what would you expect the cost of the Excess to be?
£53.50 - all or half of £22 ?
£42.00 - all of half of £22 ?
Half of £107.00 - half of £22 ?
Half of £84.00 - half of £22 ?
BTW Just in case you want to deduct the cost of the DAM-EDB portion from the calculation:
a Single DAM - EDB is £3.60
an Off Peak Return is £3.80
It was £30.50
The Excess ticket says it is an Overdistance Excess Single from Dalmeny - Newcastle
Can someone explain the calculation, please?
Cheers
(I do feel sorry for the staff who are expected to know these are to be calculated while en route - particularly if I can take as long as I want in order to try every permutation and I still can't see it)
I was travelling from Dalmeny (DAM)(and the site of my avatar) to Newcastle (NCL) but my ticket was only from Dalmeny to Berwick-upon-Tweed. It was the Return portion of a special offer ticket costing £22 (for the return journey).
What might be confusing me is that I had already travelled part of my journey on the ticket to get from Dalmeny to Edinburgh and was then on an East Coast service when getting the Excess (which wasn't going to be stopping at Berwick). I was travelling outside the Peak.
The most expensive Std class Single I can see for DAM-NCL is £53.50 (there don't seem to be any others other than Advances).
The Returns are £107.00 (others at £56.00 and £54.30)
And the most expensive Std class Single I can see for EDB-NCL is £42.00 (all others are Advances)
The most expensive Return is £84.00 (others at £45.50 and £44.30)
So, what would you expect the cost of the Excess to be?
£53.50 - all or half of £22 ?
£42.00 - all of half of £22 ?
Half of £107.00 - half of £22 ?
Half of £84.00 - half of £22 ?
BTW Just in case you want to deduct the cost of the DAM-EDB portion from the calculation:
a Single DAM - EDB is £3.60
an Off Peak Return is £3.80
It was £30.50
The Excess ticket says it is an Overdistance Excess Single from Dalmeny - Newcastle
Can someone explain the calculation, please?
Cheers
(I do feel sorry for the staff who are expected to know these are to be calculated while en route - particularly if I can take as long as I want in order to try every permutation and I still can't see it)
Last edited: