• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Calculating an Overdistance Excess on a Discounted ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0b

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
1,371
I do not believe you are reading topics properly before responding in some cases, b0b. The question about "undiscounted" or "discounted" ticket held is referring to the fact that DAM-BWK is normally £23.20 or £23.90 (depending on departure time) however in this case it was discounted to £22.00

I think it's terminology and my lack of understanding of it and it might help to have an FAQ so we can all speak the language required first. I'm sorry for the confusion. I also realize I had the direction of travel wrong, somehow the way the OP explained it is confusing my brain.

I agree that the OP probably had no opportunity to buy at Dalmeny and should be excessed to the SSR in this case.

I now understand that tickets like SSRs are not "discounted tickets" - that confusion stemmed from the fact that the if there is an opportunity to buy, they must pay the most expensive priced ticket (usually SOS/SOR if offered) that allows immediate travel, so I assumed SSRs are considered "discounted" but they are not.

So, based on that, the OP wanted to excess the return leg of a Berwick On Tweed to Dalmeny Club 55 ticket to a Newcastle to Dalmeny SSR

NCL-DAM SSR 54.30
less 22 paid
= 32.30

since its return leg, the excess is half 32.30, or 16.15?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
I've just noticed a typo on my last post but I'm not able to edit atm because I'm not on my PC.

An 'opportunity to buy' is where there ARE facilities to buy the ticket you need.

Yes bOb, that calculation is correct.
 

b0b

Established Member
Joined
25 Jan 2010
Messages
1,371
in my defence i've only excessed a ticket once to remove a NOT LONDON route and it was all a bit confusing, but at least the travel office at Glasgow Central knew how to do it! :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Input From Newcastle to Dalmeny. Select most appropriate fare, which is the cheapest fare available for travel at the time you are travelling, in this case I'll assume after 0930, in which case the SSR of £54.30 applies.
Press Excess.
Select Over Distance.
Select Journey Leg = Return.
Enter original ticket price of £22.00.
Enter start date and ticket number of original ticket.
Press OK, avantix reckons XS is £16.10.

Hey kwvr45, what is this advantix thing that you use? I noticed that when I was poking around with Avantix Traveller that it might be possible to do excesses and part of the info it required was a ticket number, which seemed odd for the Avantix Traveller GUI - so I'm wondering if your Advantix system and Avantix Traveller basically use the same back end.
 

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2009
Messages
2,748
in my defence i've only excessed a ticket once to remove a NOT LONDON route and it was all a bit confusing, but at least the travel office at Glasgow Central knew how to do it! :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Hey kwvr45, what is this advantix thing that you use? I noticed that when I was poking around with Avantix Traveller that it might be possible to do excesses and part of the info it required was a ticket number, which seemed odd for the Avantix Traveller GUI - so I'm wondering if your Advantix system and Avantix Traveller basically use the same back end.

The Avantix Mobile device is the mobile ticket machine used by Guards and Revenue Staff on trains and station barriers to sell tickets. It consists of a PDA device which slots into a printer. The printer holds a big bunch of fan folded card tickets, which is why it appears to chunky. The PDA talks to the printer via an infrared link. There is then an associated chip and pin device which comes in a variety of types. Some are better than others. Two of the types talk to the PDA via a bluetooth link. The bluetooth on the PDAs is generally quite unreliable so hence the post elsewhere on here where folk are talking about card payments. It is called Avantix after the software on the PDA which is called Avantix Mobile. I suspect that Avantix Mobile and Avantix Traveller which you refer to probably use a similar back end, although I'm not sure as I've never seen Avantix Traveller.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top