Only on a good day(197) has aircon
Only on a good day(197) has aircon
I don’t know the exact details but I think something like Crewe - Manchester is apparently being looked at next for ETCS. Have heard this from multiple sources but perhaps someone can give better details.Have I missed something about the roll-out of ETCS on another route served by TfW? As far as I was aware, the only planned ETCS deployments making any headway were the tunnels into Heathrow (now live if I recall correctly) and the East Coast Digital Programme (a short stretch used only by Great Northern having already gone live with sections further north to follow but as an overlay with lineside signals remaining in place). Regarding the Cambrian, my understanding is that Machynlleth depot cannot accomodate 3-car units and only Machynlleth and Pwllheli drivers now sign the Cambrian. Also, I recently wrote to James Price at TfW; one of my points being a suggestion that Shrewsbury drivers should be trainned to work to Machynlleth or Aberystwyth, rather than cutting the first morning Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth working to start from Welshpool (to avoid taxing a driver to Shrewsbury) as TfW are planning to do from December. His response to this claimed that it "would be an operational challenge for those drivers to be competent on more than one system." Presumably Machynlleth drivers are competent on conventional signalling (as well as ETCS) and similarly those drivers working the Great Northern and Heathrow ETCS projects mentioned above must also be competent on both systems - or is the Cambrian the only route which is ETCS without lineside signals?
His response to this claimed that it "would be an operational challenge for those drivers to be competent on more than one system." Presumably Machynlleth drivers are competent on conventional signalling (as well as ETCS) and similarly those drivers working the Great Northern and Heathrow ETCS projects mentioned above must also be competent on both systems - or is the Cambrian the only route which is ETCS without lineside signals?
I think that was a misinterpretation - all the sets are ETCS ready, some degree of wiring has taken place, you even get a warning on the TCMS screen that there's an ERTMS fault on the units that don't have it installed, and it looks like the dash has been designed to make it easy to switch out the analogue speedometer for a digital one. It's been a while since I've been able to drive 003 for a comparison though.If I recall correctly, at the time of the initial announcement it was thought that all 77 class 197s would have ETCS, but ever since an official total was announced TfW have always stated that 21 units would be ETCS fitted I think.
Have I missed something about the roll-out of ETCS on another route served by TfW? As far as I was aware, the only planned ETCS deployments making any headway were the tunnels into Heathrow (now live if I recall correctly) and the East Coast Digital Programme (a short stretch used only by Great Northern having already gone live with sections further north to follow but as an overlay with lineside signals remaining in place). Regarding the Cambrian, my understanding is that Machynlleth depot cannot accomodate 3-car units and only Machynlleth and Pwllheli drivers now sign the Cambrian. Also, I recently wrote to James Price at TfW; one of my points being a suggestion that Shrewsbury drivers should be trainned to work to Machynlleth or Aberystwyth, rather than cutting the first morning Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth working to start from Welshpool (to avoid taxing a driver to Shrewsbury) as TfW are planning to do from December. His response to this claimed that it "would be an operational challenge for those drivers to be competent on more than one system." Presumably Machynlleth drivers are competent on conventional signalling (as well as ETCS) and similarly those drivers working the Great Northern and Heathrow ETCS projects mentioned above must also be competent on both systems - or is the Cambrian the only route which is ETCS without lineside signals?
Parts of the WCML north of Crewe is expected to get ETCS in the next few years. This would potentially effect the North Wales - Manchester services, which use the route for a short distance either side of Warrington and is signed by Chester, Llandudno Junction and Holyhead drivers, and the Crewe - Warrington section which is signed by Crewe drivers and is much longer, but only normally used for ECS and diverted services.I don’t know the exact details but I think something like Crewe - Manchester is apparently being looked at next for ETCS. Have heard this from multiple sources but perhaps someone can give better details.
Originally, when ETCS came in, the Cambrian was restricted to just Mach and Pwllheli drivers, whilst Mach drivers stopped signing to Birmingham. This was, as I understand, to reduce the risk of operational incidents from going between two types of signalling.
These days as you say, other TOC’s will have drivers running on ETCS with conventional overlay and signing routes without ETCS at all so these days I don’t think that argument should be so relevant any more.
Personally I’d love to sign some conventional routes aswell, even if it was just Birmingham!
As I understand it (it's a little before my time) the story goes as follows:It does say "those drivers", which I read as saying they didn't want to have to train up drivers from Shrewsbury on both systems, not that having any driver cope with both systems would be a challenge.
Just to confirm that 197121 is now at Chester depot.Thats good news that the Standard Plus upgrade will soon be rolled out. I assume for diagramming purposes the standard plus will be different from the normal 3 car diagrams to ensure the right sets are used on the right services.
I only need 197117 and 197125 out of those in service. Hopefully I will get those soon and the other 5 that should be in service soon I hope.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
I wonder what the hold up getting those 5 into service? They seemed to introduce several new ones into service in quick succession and then nothing for a few months.
Doesn't look as if it's going back as of right now, hopefully we can get it in service!Just to confirm that 197121 is now at Chester depot.
Thanks. Hopefully will enter service soon.Just to confirm that 197121 is now at Chester depot.
Good to know!197122 is the first unit to be fitted with Full Standard Plus branding, very similar to the first class on Mk4s.
AFAIK it still won't be in use just yet but won't be far away now where the free upgrades will end.
Genuine question that’s not intended to come across snarky.I find the seats in standard plus very comfortable and roomy. The only thing that lets it down is the poor riding. Yesterday I did Crewe to Cardiff in 197120 and the riding was some of the roughest I've had on these units. Hopefully they can do something about this.
Pulled from the Severn Tunnel Junction serviceSomething wrong with the original 1W12 today as it seemed to leave Cardiff on time then be 9 down by Cardiff East. RTT shows that it stopped at Newport and a new unit put on from there.
Could not tell how 197005 got to Newport to take over, but very glad that it was able to.
RTT Link: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L40524/2024-08-07/detailed#allox_id=1
197048 sent to Canton last night with an engine out and it’s been sent back out today in the same condition and nobody knew about it.Something wrong with the original 1W12 today as it seemed to leave Cardiff on time then be 9 down by Cardiff East. RTT shows that it stopped at Newport and a new unit put on from there.
Could not tell how 197005 got to Newport to take over, but very glad that it was able to.
RTT Link: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L40524/2024-08-07/detailed#allox_id=1
Genius, though good that they spotted it eventually. Thank you for being honest about what happened.197048 sent to Canton last night with an engine out and it’s been sent back out today in the same condition and nobody knew about it.

Thanks, hope that the Severn Tunnel people will be ok waiting for the GWRPulled from the Severn Tunnel Junction service
Realtime Trains | 2G42 0610 Cardiff Central to Newport (South Wales) | 07/08/2024
Real-time train running information for 2G42 0610 departure from Cardiff Central to Newport (South Wales) on 07/08/2024. From Realtime Trains, an independent source of train running info for Great Britain.www.realtimetrains.co.uk
I've turned round at Stockport once, getting everyone off and shunting onto the viaduct took longer than it would have done to get to Piccadilly and back, it's also blocking a platform while locked up and unloaded so isn't really viable.It is a shame they haven't found a way to turn round at Stockport when late really.
I know it does not work practically (well perhaps not since they infilled the south bays), but there would be more options for getting to Manchester than Wilmslow where you end up with a 30 minute wait and the subsequent hours TfW.I've turned round at Stockport once, getting everyone off and shunting onto the viaduct took longer than it would have done to get to Piccadilly and back, it's also blocking a platform while locked up and unloaded so isn't really viable.
Usually if you're late enough for a Wilmslow turn back, the Avanti London - Manchester isn't too far behind with lots of space to pick everyone up.I know it does not work practically (well perhaps not since they infilled the south bays), but there would be more options for getting to Manchester than Wilmslow where you end up with a 30 minute wait and the subsequent hours TfW.
To be fair, it is a long time since I had to do the Wilmslow change and I was impressed the 197 was found to run 1W12 when the first failed.
Hopefully 197048 will be feeling better soon as well.
I see, for some reason there is no Avanti at 09:25 (which would have been 5 minutes after 1W12 arrived). It does not show as cancelled on RTT either, so maybe that is a genuine timetable gap.Usually if you're late enough for a Wilmslow turn back, the Avanti London - Manchester isn't too far behind with lots of space to pick everyone up.
The big issue is unless you are on the ball* chances are by the time news filters through at Piccadilly that the XX;30 to Cardiff is starting at Wilmslow there is nothing you can catch which connects with it (considering the last connection is normally the XX:06 Crewe stopper)Usually if you're late enough for a Wilmslow turn back, the Avanti London - Manchester isn't too far behind with lots of space to pick everyone up.
I always check the inbound train and have advised many other people to do the same. They have all been grateful for the advice.(*Ie you notice the inbound is running significantly late and you are at Piccadilly in good time)
There is normally - it's been removed today from RTT today for some reasonI see, for some reason there is no Avanti at 09:25 (which would have been 5 minutes after 1W12 arrived). It does not show as cancelled on RTT either, so maybe that is a genuine timetable gap.
In all the times I have got stuck at Wilmslow going North there has not been an Avanti, so I had not realised there is an Avanti most hours.
True, it is more of an issue in that direction - I was just replying to a comment in the context of a passenger travelling North. For most Manchester passengers it ends up being an hour's wait for the next service unfortunately.The big issue is unless you are on the ball* chances are by the time news filters through at Piccadilly that the XX;30 to Cardiff is starting at Wilmslow there is nothing you can catch which connects with it (considering the last connection is normally the XX:06 Crewe stopper)
(*Ie you notice the inbound is running significantly late and you are at Piccadilly in good time)
Curious to know how it disappears from even the CAN list.There is normally - it's been removed today from RTT today for some reason
If the Avanti is on time it usually ends up being the next option by default - if it's too long a wait for it then the TfW probably isn't late enough to get turned back at Wilmslow, and if the TfW is so late it ends up running behind the Avanti it'll probably get turned back at Crewe instead.
True, it is more of an issue in that direction - I was just replying to a comment in the context of a passenger travelling North. For most Manchester passengers it ends up being an hour's wait for the next service unfortunately.
There is normally - it's been removed today from RTT today for some reason
I can see it, cancelled (VCN) due to train crew.Curious to know how it disappears from even the CAN list.
Yeah, I am very happy with TfW on that. After GWR introduced the IETs with their very hard seats TfW determined that they didn't want those and changed their order to something more comfy.I find the seats in standard plus very comfortable and roomy.
Would have been worse, the original seats for the 197s would have been the same as the 195sYeah, I am very happy with TfW on that. After GWR introduced the IETs with their very hard seats TfW determined that they didn't want those and changed their order to something more comfy.
Tagged onto 1W94 to Chester today with 197043. 048 to detach at Chester and head to CAF while 043 continues solo to Holyhead.197048 sent to Canton last night with an engine out and it’s been sent back out today in the same condition and nobody knew about it.
Finally getting somewhere with that one then!Tagged onto 1W94 to Chester today with 197043. 048 to detach at Chester and head to CAF while 043 continues solo to Holyhead.
I actually think the seats on the 195s are pretty comfortable, but I'm going to run away now before this turns into another seats threadWould have been worse, the original seats for the 197s would have been the same as the 195s