• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF class 197 Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Bob Price

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2019
Messages
1,244
Interesting to see the early Chester Crewe shuttle is four cars, leaving two at Crewe for a later service. First time I've seen four in service together.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
I've just gone and looked at RTT, it appears I may have to do a smaller leap on the 197 than planned but it'll just be nice to get one done on my local line at long last.

Got to feel for those passengers on the 197 out of Holyhead who will have to change trains in Chester!
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
I've just gone and looked at RTT, it appears I may have to do a smaller leap on the 197 than planned but it'll just be nice to get one done on my local line at long last.

Got to feel for those passengers on the 197 out of Holyhead who will have to change trains in Chester!
I doubt the second 197 will wait either, so they’ll probably be left at Chester for quite a while, or told to change again at Shrewsbury
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
It's an hour late so no chance of it waiting.
Yes, so it'll be onto the 1136 Birmingham service (158820) for a change at Shrewsbury then. That in itself is very ironic, as the 1136 also started from Holyhead as a very delayed 197 (197004) which is now forty minutes late.

Unlike the Holyhead service, the set swap at Chester was planned of course, as 197s can't go to Birmingham yet, but very much like the Holyhead service, those who boarded before Chester will now also miss the train that their original 197 is being swapped for.

So the 158 will be filled with 197009s passengers instead of 197004s passengers. Somewhat ironic, although perhaps it's just as well that the second 197 will miss it, else it would no doubt be rammed.

The train taking over HHD - CDF has left Chester - 6L - but no allocation is provided. Hopefully it is 019 as planned.

 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
Well I've just seen that too, and I had just positioned myself for a journey to Leominster to pick it up. Given the allocation has now gone, I've voted against it.

67010 is making a mighty big noise on the 103x towards Cardiff though, which was worth coming down for!
 

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,894
Location
South Wales
Yes, so it'll be onto the 1136 Birmingham service (158820) for a change at Shrewsbury then. That in itself is very ironic, as the 1136 also started from Holyhead as a very delayed 197 (197004) which is now forty minutes late.

Unlike the Holyhead service, the set swap at Chester was planned of course, as 197s can't go to Birmingham yet, but very much like the Holyhead service, those who boarded before Chester will now also miss the train that their original 197 is being swapped for.

So the 158 will be filled with 197009s passengers instead of 197004s passengers. Somewhat ironic, although perhaps it's just as well that the second 197 will miss it, else it would no doubt be rammed.

The train taking over HHD - CDF has left Chester - 6L - but no allocation is provided. Hopefully it is 019 as planned.

Photo on Facebook class 197 group shows it as 019

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Well I've just seen that too, and I had just positioned myself for a journey to Leominster to pick it up. Given the allocation has now gone, I've voted against it.

67010 is making a mighty big noise on the 103x towards Cardiff though, which was worth coming down for!
Its 197019
 

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2021
Messages
1,898
Location
Welsh Marches
Well I've just seen that too, and I had just positioned myself for a journey to Leominster to pick it up. Given the allocation has now gone, I've voted against it.

67010 is making a mighty big noise on the 103x towards Cardiff though, which was worth coming down for!
You should do that journey! It's definitely 019, allocation is showing on the old schedule rather than the new one.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
You should do that journey! It's definitely 019, allocation is showing on the old schedule rather than the new one.

I took advantage of the sunshine to top up my cycling mileage before the day's second coffee :lol:

I see it's running around 12 late at present, which is good as it gives me extra time for the rather delayed coffee to kick in. Looks like I might be able to get 67010 back from Abergavenny, which is mighty tempting.

Such a shame I don't have the time today to take it all the way to Cardiff as I would have liked to!
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
I took advantage of the sunshine to top up my cycling mileage before the day's second coffee :lol:

I see it's running around 12 late at present, which is good as it gives me extra time for the rather delayed coffee to kick in. Looks like I might be able to get 67010 back from Abergavenny, which is mighty tempting.

Such a shame I don't have the time today to take it all the way to Cardiff as I would have liked to!
Will look forward to seeing any photos of the 197 if you get some :D
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,340
Location
Neath
A 158 from Chester. Almost a joke at this point.
I agree. Its VERY frustrating!!

I am not going to make any plans to ride a 197 seen as I have before. Will just wait until they are introduced to the Swansea-Cardiff route (unless I happen to be in Cardiff for something and one turns up to Newport or something!)
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
Will look forward to seeing any photos of the 197 if you get some :D

I've been a busy ol' bee since the 197 left over 2 hours ago. I have got a video clip, but given it's recorded from a road bridge the noise probably won't be clear anyway.

Attached are photos of 197019 taken from the road bridge just south of Hereford station :D I tried to justify the near £16 day return to Abergavenny, but I just couldn't do so with the limited time I would have in Abergavenny to do some exploring. The photos had to do, the Emergency Backup Fund has been left intact. If it had been on a day off, I'd have been on it but I have work this afternoon.
 

Attachments

  • 0298E6F6-9382-4BCF-AE3A-656253F6DFA9.jpeg
    0298E6F6-9382-4BCF-AE3A-656253F6DFA9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 100
  • 7B11D2F2-8CBC-4CDC-B5B6-F0BDF99E37F4.jpeg
    7B11D2F2-8CBC-4CDC-B5B6-F0BDF99E37F4.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 98
  • 1DE8EBDD-3851-4090-AF3D-5275090A2CFD.jpeg
    1DE8EBDD-3851-4090-AF3D-5275090A2CFD.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 101

Dan G

Member
Joined
12 May 2021
Messages
611
Location
Exeter
Just to be clear – as today's posts are somewhat confusing! – 197019 has operated from Holyhead to Cardiff (and is now on its way back) today, and this is a first for a 197?
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
Just to be clear – as today's posts are somewhat confusing! – 197019 has operated from Holyhead to Cardiff (and is now on its way back) today, and this is a first for a 197?
It's operated from Chester to Cardiff, and yes, it is the first 197 to operate south of Shrewsbury in service.

197009 was booked to run from Holyhead to Cardiff but terminated at Chester an hour late due to trespass, so just did Holyhead to Chester.
197004 also did Holyhead to Chester half an hour later on the delayed Birmingham service. It's regular for a 197 to do this stretch. They do most of the work on the North Wales routes, apart from most Birminghams which are 158s. Those that aren't are 197 to Chester and 158 from Chester to Birmingham.
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,340
Location
Neath
Fab news that a 197 has made it to Newport and Cardiff for the very first time in passenger service. A total of 30 weeks since they were first introduced into passenger service on the Conwy Valley branch line.

Today is certainly another milestone in the long drawn out introduction of the 197s to TFW. Hopefully introduction will get faster from now on in and they are soon on Manchester-Cardiff/Milford/Carmarthen etc!
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
Hopefully introduction will get faster from now on in and they are soon on Manchester-Cardiff/Milford/Carmarthen etc!
Swanline first, I believe, though that's just from what I've been hearing. Limited daily services, with the bulk of Swanline remaining 153 for now.
 

CaergwrleKen

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2019
Messages
162
Location
Caergwrle
Unfortunately until some more 197s are accepted this is only going to stretch the TFW fleet to an already overstretched limit. Doesn’t appear to be any multiples along North Wales today, all trains look overcrowded.
 

The_Train

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2018
Messages
5,247
I'm not sure there should be any sort of excitement about TfW managing to run a 2 car unit from Holyhead all the way down to Cardiff, irrelevant of whether it is a new train or not.
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,340
Location
Neath
Swanline first, I believe, though that's just from what I've been hearing. Limited daily services, with the bulk of Swanline remaining 153 for now.
That's correct. Booked for the two afternoon Swanlines that end up going to Chester (1505 from Swansea and 1645 ish from Llanelli). The rest are booked for 153s but its not uncommon for a 150 to turn up on any of them.

Is the issue between Shrewsbury and Manchester the entire route or just between Shrewsbury and Crewe they arent cleared?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I'm not sure there should be any sort of excitement about TfW managing to run a 2 car unit from Holyhead all the way down to Cardiff, irrelevant of whether it is a new train or not.
I think the excitement is that they finally managed to get one to Newport/Cardiff, two of the main stations on the TFW network, in passenger service at long last. Chances are it would have been a 2 car of something anyway so not a lot of difference in capacity but a much nicer train.
 

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2021
Messages
1,898
Location
Welsh Marches
That's correct. Booked for the two afternoon Swanlines that end up going to Chester (1505 from Swansea and 1645 ish from Llanelli). The rest are booked for 153s but its not uncommon for a 150 to turn up on any of them.

Is the issue between Shrewsbury and Manchester the entire route or just between Shrewsbury and Crewe they arent cleared?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I think the excitement is that they finally managed to get one to Newport/Cardiff, two of the main stations on the TFW network, in passenger service at long last. Chances are it would have been a 2 car of something anyway so not a lot of difference in capacity but a much nicer train.
I believe Shrewsbury all the way to Manchester via Crewe is not yet signed off for passenger service despite training runs going on constantly.
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,340
Location
Neath
Unfortunately until some more 197s are accepted this is only going to stretch the TFW fleet to an already overstretched limit. Doesn’t appear to be any multiples along North Wales today, all trains look overcrowded.
Are there still only 15 of the 2 carriages accepted into passenger service? No sign of any 3 cars yet?

If they have all of the North Wales-Manchester, Liverpool, Conwy Valley, Crewe-Chester plus now 3 on Cardiff-Holyhead that doesnt leave a lot of capacity for double sets running on the North Wales Coast.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I believe Shrewsbury all the way to Manchester via Crewe is not yet signed off for passenger service despite training runs going on constantly.
Thanks. i suppose not too much of an issue at the moment given they wont have any booked workings on the Milford-Manchester route until later in the year and most of the Shrewsbury-Manchesters are either MK4 or run through to/from West Wales.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I've been a busy ol' bee since the 197 left over 2 hours ago. I have got a video clip, but given it's recorded from a road bridge the noise probably won't be clear anyway.

Attached are photos of 197019 taken from the road bridge just south of Hereford station :D I tried to justify the near £16 day return to Abergavenny, but I just couldn't do so with the limited time I would have in Abergavenny to do some exploring. The photos had to do, the Emergency Backup Fund has been left intact. If it had been on a day off, I'd have been on it but I have work this afternoon.
Good photos! I cant wait for the first one to turn up on my local route (Swanline!). Im going to try on ride one the first day of service if I can.
 
Last edited:

Top