• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF class 197 Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gtraincrew

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2018
Messages
441
Hopefully its true just have to see what happens during the next 48 hours or so
It's definitely true that a 197 is planned to enter service on the branch on Monday. But I've been on long enough to know things can happen from time to time. But I'd be more surprised if it didn't run that if it does.
 

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2021
Messages
1,898
Location
Welsh Marches
It's definitely true that a 197 is planned to enter service on the branch on Monday. But I've been on long enough to know things can happen from time to time. But I'd be more surprised if it didn't run that if it does.
Excellent news! Finally the rollout can begin and the Wales and Borders passengers can enjoy service and capacity increases and improvements!
 

warwickshire

On Moderation
Joined
6 Feb 2020
Messages
2,304
Location
leamingtonspa
According to the old live rail website Monday to Friday 14th November to Friday 18th November 2022
1. 5D10 0401 Chester Dmud to Lllandudo Junction arr 0505.
2. 1T21 2145 Llandudno junction to Chester arr 2257 . Both STP workings.
Meaning could well be a 197.
As usually the 150 comes up from Crewe on another ecs to Lllandudo Junction. Meaning the STP could well be a 197 for obvious reasons.
STP activated last Friday.
When on TFW last week of October I do remember a few TFW staff telling me about November 14th launch day and done as TFw 197 in Wales made for Wales. However at first rather than following on the Liverpool Lime street to Chester service. Possible they could do the Chester to Lllandudo Junction Shuttle instead for Operation reasons if the 197 on the Blaenau Ffestiniog service actually needs swapping over during the day to get it back to Chester if a need arises or a issue with unit occurs.
However watch this space.
 

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2021
Messages
1,898
Location
Welsh Marches
Thanks for all replies. Fingers crossed for one entering service on Monday. Anyone got any idea which unit it is likely to be if it does happen?
 

Bob Price

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2019
Messages
1,244
Think TfW will sneak this into service without ceremony and make sure it's all working OK before they start shouting from the rooftops
 

EngFocus

Member
Joined
27 May 2014
Messages
42
Location
Cheshire
Similar situation to the 196s then - does this suggest fears over reliability or is it just being cautious?
From my experience TfW seem very risk averse. Safety is always key, but it's almost as if TfW are terrified of being publicly embarrassed if something did go wrong, even if it's just a breakdown in passenger service. But that's probably a discussion for another thread.

Now have to contemplate if I want to travel to Llandudno Junction to get there before 7am.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,948
Location
Mold, Clwyd

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,833
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I'm actually very slightly tempted to book a hotel in Llandudno and go and ride the first service, I could do there and back before breakfast let alone work! :)

(My luck would be that it'd be pulled last minute, though, and I'd get up at the crack of dawn to the sight of a mucky 150)
 

Anonymous10

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2019
Messages
2,635
Location
wales
I'm actually very slightly tempted to book a hotel in Llandudno and go and ride the first service, I could do there and back before breakfast let alone work! :)

(My luck would be that it'd be pulled last minute, though, and I'd get up at the crack of dawn to the sight of a mucky 150)
the question is are you feeling lucky hopefully the 197 enters service would free up a 150 to head south where they're also much needed and start boosting capacity.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
I'm actually very slightly tempted to book a hotel in Llandudno and go and ride the first service, I could do there and back before breakfast let alone work! :)

(My luck would be that it'd be pulled last minute, though, and I'd get up at the crack of dawn to the sight of a mucky 150)
Llandudno is lovely, throw in nice warming hot chocolate from the wintry cafe at the foot of the Great Orme and you’ll have a nice little morning there. Adore Llandudno.

So glad to see these trains coming out at last, while I love the 175s, this means the beginning of the admittedly very slow end of Welsh 150s and 158s.
 

craigybagel

Established Member
Joined
25 Oct 2012
Messages
5,829
ECS kicks off Chester depot at 0401.5 ;).
That in itself shows that changes are afoot - normally the Blaneau unit comes all the way from Crewe on 5D04, dropping off a unit or two at Chester on the way.
 
Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,820
Location
Croydon
I'm actually very slightly tempted to book a hotel in Llandudno and go and ride the first service, I could do there and back before breakfast let alone work! :)

(My luck would be that it'd be pulled last minute, though, and I'd get up at the crack of dawn to the sight of a mucky 150)
Look on the bright side. This could be your last chance to ride on a 150 !.... I'll get my coat.
 

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,948
Location
Mold, Clwyd
That in itself shows that changes are afoot - normally the Blaneau unit comes all the way from Crewe on 5D04, dropping off a unit or two at Chester on the way. 5D04
Doing the shuttle Llandudno-Blaenau all day won't get the train above 50mph, if that.
But it also appears to be doing the 2145 Llandudno-Chester (1T21, normally 1K21 to Crewe) which should get to 90mph in places.
The Chester-Crewe leg also appears to be separate as 1K21.
 

Luke McDonnell

On Moderation
Joined
20 Mar 2019
Messages
144
Sounds good any idea when 197s will appear on TfW Liverpool - Chester will that be shortly after this introduction?
 

Jez

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2011
Messages
2,340
Location
Neath
Excellent news that a 197 is finally going into passenger service. Hopefully everything goes to plan tomorrow!
 

Top