Visited Cleethorpes yesterday to watch a football match (yes, I know!) and thought I would try the Saturday only Sheffield-Brigg-Cleethorpes line.
This Northern operated route runs three round trips on Saturdays and does not operate on any other days, it means that Gainsborough Central, Kirton Lindsey and Brigg stations are only open one day per week!
What is the point of this ‘service’ and when is the last time that a six or seven day passenger service operated on this route?
Is there much freight traffic on this line?
I guess that this is now the only Northern operated service that serves Grimsby and Cleethorpes so presumably only a limited number of train crew sign this route?
For info the mid morning 2 car 158 departure was approx 80% full seating capacity wise leaving Sheffield, but I doubt no more than 20 people travelled east of Retford, mainly football fans.
The 1917 return a 2 car 150 had around 15 passengers leaving Cleethorpes/Grimsby, of which nearly all were returning from the match. Some local passengers boarded west of Retford.
This Northern operated route runs three round trips on Saturdays and does not operate on any other days, it means that Gainsborough Central, Kirton Lindsey and Brigg stations are only open one day per week!
What is the point of this ‘service’ and when is the last time that a six or seven day passenger service operated on this route?
Is there much freight traffic on this line?
I guess that this is now the only Northern operated service that serves Grimsby and Cleethorpes so presumably only a limited number of train crew sign this route?
For info the mid morning 2 car 158 departure was approx 80% full seating capacity wise leaving Sheffield, but I doubt no more than 20 people travelled east of Retford, mainly football fans.
The 1917 return a 2 car 150 had around 15 passengers leaving Cleethorpes/Grimsby, of which nearly all were returning from the match. Some local passengers boarded west of Retford.