Darren R
Established Member
Here we disagree. Bradford has now reached such a point of decline, and has lost so much of what were once its prosperous northern suburbs to the Leeds conurbation that it'd best hope now is to be a secondary centre for the 'Greater Leeds' area, in much the same way that Stockport is for Manchester. It's neither far enough away from Leeds or big enough to be able to command its own competitively-sized city centre.
No - I totally agree with you on this point. (In fact, I think I'm about to perform a volte face on the whole thing!) Bradford has passed the point of no return: it needs some really radical thinking to stand any hope of reviving the fortunes of its once proud centre. I think that even if the planned shopping centre was to be built now it would become a white elephant. Before taking shop premises businesses look at the town beyond the new building. What is there in Bradford to attract them there at present?
Knottingley would (obviously) retain its direct service to Leeds via Pontefract. However, passengers for Ilkley or Skipton would be able to take a direct train and avoid Leeds.
I still don't think there is much latent demand for through travel opportunities between Ilkley and Knottingley though!
Bradford-Leeds via Shipley comes in at 18 minutes without a stop at Frizinghall. The fastest services via Pudsey are 21. So there's no delay to running north out of Bradford, plus you increase capacity for a section of line which is best suited to solely stopping trains (entirely urban, steep gradients and low speed limits).
Yes - don't know where I got the idea that journey times would be significantly longer via Shipley! I was so sure I didn't even bother to check!
This isn't about redeveloping Bradford city centre, it's just a project that happens to be relocated there. It's a very beneficial project for the wider regional network, which while it would present opportunities for redevelopment in Bradford isn't solely designed for them.
I think you'll probably have to come up with a better selling-point in Bradford though - echoes of the HS2 argument there ('the greater good' and all that!)
