• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AWC Derailment at Shap Summit 03/11/25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,365
When the Azuma collided with a Hst at Neville Hill, the Azuma then derailed. It makes absolutely perfect sense.
Only if that area is your focus. I had forgotten about it.
An Azuma is the LNER hitachi train.
so it is, I forget the different names for the same rolling stock.
Are they bar-coupled like Pendolinos? and is the drawbar springing the same? I have no idea. However the RAIB comment
The derailment occurred because the design of the Intercity Express Train is susceptible to derailment in low speed collisions. This susceptibility is related to the use of high-strength couplers with large freedoms of movement in pitch and yaw. These features were part of the train’s design. However, the impact of these features on the train’s resistance to derailment and lateral displacement in low speed collisions, was not considered by the train’s designers.
makes absolutely no reference to 80 mph derailmants, and so is probably completely irrelevant...
 

35B

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2011
Messages
5,578
er, what Azuma derailment? Is that another name for the ICE?
You will have to explain the comment further as I can't make any sense of it.
There was a low speed collision in 2019 in Leeds where a class 800 (the LNER class 80x are referred to as “Azuma”) ran into an HST. It caused the Azuma to jackknife across the adjacent running line.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

However the RAIB comment

makes absolutely no reference to 80 mph derailmants, and so is probably completely irrelevant...
it’s relevant to discussion of the role of the bar coupler in the behaviour of the train in the incident.
 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,365
There was a low speed collision in 2019 in Leeds where a class 800 (the LNER class 80x are referred to as “Azuma”) ran into an HST. It caused the Azuma to jackknife across the adjacent running line.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


it’s relevant to discussion of the role of the bar coupler in the behaviour of the train in the incident.
I think the claim was that the springing and the pitch and yaw restraint was relevant, not the bar coupling itself. and 80mph?.
 

bahnause

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
1,047
Location
bülach (switzerland)
I looked up the German ICE disaster as I thought part of the cause of the jackknifing was that they stuck with screw-couplings between coaches, but it's not mentioned.
Between the middle cars and between the middle cars and the power cars, the ICE 1
has a center buffer coupling manufactured by Schaku. It is designed as a semi-automatic coupling, in which the fiber optic cables, air lines, and electrical are connected automatically. The mechanical connections have to be made manually using bolts.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,889
I looked up the German ICE disaster as I thought part of the cause of the jackknifing was that they stuck with screw-couplings between coaches, but it's not mentioned.
The ICE1 sets are not screw coupled. From photos they look to be Dellner-type couplers.

TGV sets, however, are screw coupled between power car and train, at least up until the TGV-A generation, and there are photos of double deck trailer sets being hauled by locos without translator cars.
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,401
The RTT schedule (linked above) said it was timed for 56mph (90km/h) max, which suggests it was not in prime nick.
Ignore timing loads on RTT. That does not translate down to what they will
Operate at on the ground on the day.
 

Trainguy34

Established Member
Joined
29 Apr 2023
Messages
1,234
Location
Kent
Judging by RTT, 1M07 was cancelled between Glasgow C and Preston to facilitate the movement down to Longsight.
 
Joined
3 Mar 2020
Messages
676
Location
Furness
Judging by RTT, 1M07 was cancelled between Glasgow C and Preston to facilitate the movement down to Longsight.
There were a few cancellations on the Avanti website when I looked first thing that morning. As I was intending to travel around that time. Something to do with the problems the previous day I thought.
 

Trainguy34

Established Member
Joined
29 Apr 2023
Messages
1,234
Location
Kent
There were a few cancellations on the Avanti website when I looked first thing that morning. As I was intending to travel around that time. Something to do with the problems the previous day I thought.
Could be problems the previous day then, I didn't think about cross-referencing with anything else. Odd that the ECS had booked stops from Motherwell down to Preston though.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

How have you worked that out from RTT?
More of an educated guess based on the fact that it ran in the path of 1M07, and had stops scheduled at all booked stops to Preston.
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,662
Location
Northampton
More of an educated guess based on the fact that it ran in the path of 1M07, and had stops scheduled at all booked stops to Preston.
Entirely possible that 1M07 had been cancelled after the signalling failures around Stoke displaced stock, and then control took the opportunity of a free path to send the unit south.
 

Trainguy34

Established Member
Joined
29 Apr 2023
Messages
1,234
Location
Kent
Entirely possible that 1M07 had been cancelled after the signalling failures around Stoke displaced stock, and then control took the opportunity of a free path to send the unit south.
I completely forgot about the Stoke signal failures, yeah probably that then.
 

hwl

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2012
Messages
8,293
The RTT schedule (linked above) said it was timed for 56mph (90km/h) max, which suggests it was not in prime nick.
56ms^-1 which is 125mph...

The problem is automatic labelling with the wrong speed units.

This comes up every few month on the forum...
 
Joined
3 Mar 2020
Messages
676
Location
Furness
The Edinburgh West Midlands Euston train usually 18 behind the (part cancelled) Glasgow (Preston) to Euston just mentioned upthread had to make extra stops and got delayed.

I don't think it was following something travelling at 56 mph if it was only around 20 late at Preston. That's the impression I got standing on Preston station and deciding which train to board to get to St. Helens
 

DaveyJones

Member
Joined
12 Mar 2023
Messages
222
Location
UK

390136

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2019
Messages
111
390117 went from Polmadie to Longsight non tilt btw, Longsight needed to do some further tilt tests and a few component changes.

It’s out today for one day only before being stood down for a week for exams and vinyl repairs.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top