• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,885
Location
Cambridge
Excellent to know they’re sorting that out. Much as I appreciated Virgin Trains, it was disappointing to see their obvious branding and very contrasting colour scheme in the first refurbished unit when it came out.
 

AJDesiro

Member
Joined
10 May 2019
Messages
929
Location
Rugby
A new toilet roll dispenser cover & toilet seat is all I’ve noticed
Also the retexturing of the toilet ceiling from Virgin’s fake wood to the brushed metal look, which for some reason isn’t done when they retexture the saloon conduits at Widnes.
 

NSEWonderer

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2020
Messages
2,909
Location
London
Looks like one of the A/C units on a Pendolino Unit was leaking condensate. Never seen that happen before on one of these units. Would be a first time leak due to rain as well if that were the case: -Click Here- Twitter Source: @B___K_____

I assume when this older unit(by looks of it) is refurbed the A/C unit will get reworked or nada?
 

AJDesiro

Member
Joined
10 May 2019
Messages
929
Location
Rugby
I believe the pendolinos used to be notorious for it, though it seems AC leaks have been relatively common this year on all rolling stock - there was a Chiltern 165 the other day too.
 

NSEWonderer

Established Member
Joined
5 Dec 2020
Messages
2,909
Location
London
Weird how its rarely happened on the Voyagers of which often seem to be mentioned as poorer quality.
 

Trainbike46

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2021
Messages
4,376
Location
belfast
Looks like one of the A/C units on a Pendolino Unit was leaking condensate. Never seen that happen before on one of these units. Would be a first time leak due to rain as well if that were the case: -Click Here- Twitter Source: @B___K_____

I assume when this older unit(by looks of it) is refurbed the A/C unit will get reworked or nada?
The 390 I was on yesterday had it too, though that could have been the same unit, as I was also in coach C and it was unrefurbished
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
What stage of refurbs are we at now? Surely can’t be far off all /1’s being done!
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
Guessing this means mid August for the end of the /1’s?

If so - does this mean the plan for the /0’s has been finalised? Are we keeping ABCDEFHJK?
 

1nvicible

Member
Joined
14 May 2023
Messages
39
Location
UK
390121 is currently in Widnes, due out end of this week. 4 x 11 car sets remaining. In theory, first 9 car should be out of Widnes 11 weeks from today.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Spot on, all Air Conditioning units generate an amount of Condensate (Physics doesn't lie) its what happens to it afterwards which differs

Also depends where the aircon units are. If most of it is below the floor and the cool air is just ducted up (as per Mk2, Mk3 etc), it'll just drip on the track and nobody will notice. I forget where they are on Pendolinos, but I have seen it on Chiltern 165s where they're in the luggage rack. You did get drips on Mk3s sometimes, but it was from a different source - leaks in the toilet flush water tank.
 

Skie

Established Member
Joined
22 Dec 2008
Messages
1,239
If the cold side radiators are in the passenger compartment (pretty much every modern system now, very little is ducted) then you always run the risk of condensate raining down. There will be drainage but if that gets blocked with dust from the radiators (usually indicates a poorly fitted filter) then it has to go somewhere. You’d be surprised how much water these things can pull from the air!

Some buildings use cold water rather than refrigerant to move heat out of an office space as it’s ideal for long runs, when those pipes pop it can be a proper torrent. Not aware of any trains that use such a system though.
 

Sorcerer

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2022
Messages
2,185
Location
Liverpool
The Pendolino AC units are on top of each coach above the saloon areas aren't they? I assume that's why they'd be leaking from the ceiling in the carriages.
 

StealthRailfan

New Member
Joined
27 Jun 2023
Messages
2
Location
Birmingham, UK
Hi, first post so apologies if this is a stupid newbie question...I have searched, I promise!

Looking at RTT, the 08:56 Avanti service ex-BHM to EUS is showing as "Pathed as Class 80x on electric" on Sunday 2 July. Normally it's either 390 EMU or as a Diesel Multiple Unit / Diesel Locomotive, i.e. a Voyager. This isn't going to be a new Hitachi train, is it? The seating plan loaded in the App appears to show an 11 car Pendolino. Is this some way of indicating perhaps it's an unrefurbished 11 car Pendolino or something, is it a typo, or am I missing something, if so, what? Did I miss the memo that Avanti now has their new Hitachi trains in service?

Class80.JPG
 

william.martin

On Moderation
Joined
18 Oct 2022
Messages
857
Location
Telford
Hi, first post so apologies if this is a stupid newbie question...I have searched, I promise!

Looking at RTT, the 08:56 Avanti service ex-BHM to EUS is showing as "Pathed as Class 80x on electric" on Sunday 2 July. Normally it's either 390 EMU or as a Diesel Multiple Unit / Diesel Locomotive, i.e. a Voyager. This isn't going to be a new Hitachi train, is it? The seating plan loaded in the App appears to show an 11 car Pendolino. Is this some way of indicating perhaps it's an unrefurbished 11 car Pendolino or something, is it a typo, or am I missing something, if so, what? Did I miss the memo that Avanti now has their new Hitachi trains in service?

View attachment 138200
That is the timing load, it will definitely not be an 805 or 807.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Some services are planned for 80x but they aren't yet in service so it could be a Pendolino or Voyager. One way to find out which is to do a dummy booking on Trainsplit and see what the seat map shows.
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,646
Location
Greater Manchester
The seating plan loaded in the App appears to show an 11 car Pendolino. Is this some way of indicating perhaps it's an unrefurbished 11 car Pendolino or something, is it a typo, or am I missing something, if so, what?
Most of the time from what I've seen is the seating plan always shows an unrefurbished 11 car if it's any Pendolino for now.
One way to find out which is to do a dummy booking on Trainsplit and see what the seat map shows.
They did say in their post that they got the seat plan up in "the App" (Avanti's?)
is it a typo, or am I missing something, if so, what? Did I miss the memo that Avanti now has their new Hitachi trains in service?
The timing for the 80x fleet was put in early as they are slightly slower as they cannot tilt, so need a slower timetable for when they are introduced.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top