• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Antisocial behaviour on buses: Have we given up?

Cdd89

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2017
Messages
1,792
Is it, though? Chucking someone off doesn't fix the problem, it pushes the problem to elsewhere.
It causes inconvenience to the miscreant, and they can use the time to think about not doing it again. Having some time to calm down and reflect, while waiting for the next bus or walking somewhere, is likely highly effective (in the view of those of us who believe in rehabilitative justice).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kaliwax

Member
Joined
24 Oct 2023
Messages
299
Location
UK
Not just anti social behaviour on buses either, its also I feel anti social behaviour outside of the bus as well. Many times I seen photos of numerous buses damaged in Holmewood area in Bradford, putting passengers and drivers at risk.

Innocent People who live in the area will get punished because of these people, because bus companies would rightly refuse to risk their safety of the drivers and send buses down there at night.

Bus companies will suffer because buses will keep getting damaged, and bus drivers and their families will suffer because they could get hurt and injured.

There's no easy solution to this. I do think if a family causes trouble, and if they are in social housing, they should be kicked out and not allowed to claim social housing again, and the kids, should be handed to the custody of the state.

Arriva pulled out of an area permanently in Yorkshire about 20 years ago, because of this sort of behaviour.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Again, you are letting your prejudice lead you. A 16 year old strapping lad is just as able to be set upon by a group of thugs. You also don't know whether that 16 year old is able to navigate themselves home, maybe doesn't have parents who will come and pick them up.

No, they're not, they're much more in a position to defend themselves. I'm pretty big, nobody has ever gone for me. People have sense.

Either people on here are overstating risk or they live in a bizarre state of permanent fear! :)

Is it, though? Chucking someone off doesn't fix the problem, it pushes the problem to elsewhere.

It associates consequences directly with actions. It's very powerful. That's why I think we need to do much more of this kind of thing. For instance I would arrest anyone who steals from a shop, even if only tenpence worth, and give them a night in the cells. Release at noon the next day to make sure they have to explain why to their boss, too.

The sort of simple brain that doesn't think past the selfishness of these actions needs simple and immediate consequences. Way back when that was a clip around the ear. I don't support returning to physical violence, but I do think things that are analogous, e.g. a long walk home, are simple, effective and appropriate.

I do agree on this one, hopefully in that circumstance hopefully the teens then get the message and behave. However, what happens if the kids don't stop. Do they sit there all night? Does the bus driver want to, maybe it's their shift before clock off?

If they don't, then the bus is cancelled. Lights off, engine off, everyone off, refusal means the police are called. In my observation the success rate is near 100% - some big scary bloke always intervenes.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,806
Location
Croydon
Still other ways to punish people without putting them in danger, especially at night. I'd rather see them do community service supervised by someone, and to work their debt off they made.
Never will work except for hardened and repeated offenders - too cumbersome. A short sharp reaction at point of miss behaviour has to work. Not time and money spent on court cases.
No one deserves to be murdered or raped because they caused anti social behaviour. Police could take them to the police station and get the parents to pick up from there
That might be simpler and more likely to happen.
Again, you are letting your prejudice lead you. A 16 year old strapping lad is just as able to be set upon by a group of thugs. You also don't know whether that 16 year old is able to navigate themselves home, maybe doesn't have parents who will come and pick them up.
Difficult and not perfect but what about the victims on the bus who did not choose to do anything wrong.

Sometimes have to learn the hard way.
When I was young I would not dare to miss behave and I was not having punishment threatened.
I do not have respect for people who think they can miss behave and get away with it by hiding behind their rights.

Nowadays we talk about rights BUT what about responsibilities ?.
Is it, though? Chucking someone off doesn't fix the problem, it pushes the problem to elsewhere.
I do not agree - it pushes the problem back on to the perpetrator there and now.
It will have unfortunate down sides until the message gets across.
I do agree on this one, hopefully in that circumstance hopefully the teens then get the message and behave. However, what happens if the kids don't stop. Do they sit there all night? Does the bus driver want to, maybe it's their shift before clock off?
I suppose wait long enough end then call for backup (police).

It will not happen very often once the perpetrators start to learn the lesson.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,452
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
No, they're not, they're much more in a position to defend themselves. I'm pretty big, nobody has ever gone for me. People have sense.

One has to be careful with that. Lee Pomeroy was pretty big, and felt confident to take someone on off the back of some anti-social behaviour - and tragically it didn’t end well. It all very much depends on the situation, which can’t always be accurately sized up.



The sort of simple brain that doesn't think past the selfishness of these actions needs simple and immediate consequences. Way back when that was a clip around the ear. I don't support returning to physical violence, but I do think things that are analogous, e.g. a long walk home, are simple, effective and appropriate.

I generally agree with this. It’s the lack of consequence that is the root cause for people trying it on. The other week a couple of teenagers thought it was funny to throw a rock at a pensioner. It absolutely wasn’t so funny when they had a 100kg guy in rugby gear appear that they didn’t know was there, and who could run rather faster than they were able to attempt to run away. I shall leave that one there, apart from to say that the lesson was learned.

If they don't, then the bus is cancelled. Lights off, engine off, everyone off, refusal means the police are called. In my observation the success rate is near 100% - some big scary bloke always intervenes.

The only difficulty with the latter is it can then put the “big scary bloke” in bother, like it did with the ScotRail incident. It’s effectively holding everyone to ransom, but the problem is (1) CCTV, and (2) the prospect of someone else deciding to film it and placing it on You Tube. If one goes back to the 1990s neither of these things were likely to happen on a transport service.
 

BuhSnarf

Member
Joined
22 May 2010
Messages
912
Location
Leicester
No, they're not, they're much more in a position to defend themselves. I'm pretty big, nobody has ever gone for me. People have sense.

Either people on here are overstating risk or they live in a bizarre state of permanent fear! :)

Ah, okay, so only those who are weak and gangly are targeted. Just because no one has ever gone for you doesn't mean that's universal. There are plenty of examples of people you'd assume would be "able to handle themselves" being attacked. Also, do all "big blokes" have the skill and ability to defend themselves? I'm a big bloke but wouldn't have the foggiest about how to punch someone. In fact, only a few weeks ago I was confronted by two rather scrawny blokes and rather than puff up my chest I was in fact rescued by a middle aged woman who stood in front of me. You really can't tell how someone will react just based on their physical dimensions. You also can't base bus travel policy on whether the kid looks "hard enough" that he wouldn't get in trouble on the way home.

It associates consequences directly with actions. It's very powerful. That's why I think we need to do much more of this kind of thing. For instance I would arrest anyone who steals from a shop, even if only tenpence worth, and give them a night in the cells. Release at noon the next day to make sure they have to explain why to their boss, too.

And how do you fund this? A night in the cells for a homeless person might actually be an incentive TO steal.

The sort of simple brain that doesn't think past the selfishness of these actions needs simple and immediate consequences. Way back when that was a clip around the ear. I don't support returning to physical violence, but I do think things that are analogous, e.g. a long walk home, are simple, effective and appropriate.

And in a world where blame has to be attributed what happens if that long walk home is in the rain / cold conditions and the person wasn't dressed for such and becomes ill? Or what happens if what is decided by the driver as ASB was actually ADHD or Autism and dropping them a mile from home could be as bad as dropping them 12 miles from home as they don't have a clue to get back?

If they don't, then the bus is cancelled. Lights off, engine off, everyone off, refusal means the police are called. In my observation the success rate is near 100% - some big scary bloke always intervenes.

And how is that fair to everyone else on the bus? What if there is no big scary bloke on the bus? What about the poor bus driver who will have to stay with the bus? Are the police likely to attend a bus that has been stopped because someone was vaping on the back seat? Or will they tell the driver to suck it up and just carry on driving?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I do not agree - it pushes the problem back on to the perpetrator there and now.

Except said youth who is angry at being chucked off the bus suddenly becomes a menace in the area they've been dropped off.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,806
Location
Croydon
................................

Except said youth who is angry at being chucked off the bus suddenly becomes a menace in the area they've been dropped off.
There is always down sides and imperfections. But our society is getting hamstrung into doing nothing for fear of doing something wrong by our standards. Look where it is leading us. The feral rule because they do not care about what we care about so face them on their terms or lose.
 

Kaliwax

Member
Joined
24 Oct 2023
Messages
299
Location
UK
I know people who grew up in the 1970s, that the fear of parents, if they did something wrong at School, or outside of School like anti social behaviour on buses, was known to make the kids behave. If they got in trouble at School or elsewhere, they'd get in trouble at home as well. I don't think it was just the punishment, but the waiting and anticipation of what your parents was going to do as soon as you got home. I think it starts with the parents.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,844
Location
Stirlingshire
I know people who grew up in the 1970s, that the fear of parents, if they did something wrong at School, or outside of School like anti social behaviour on buses, was known to make the kids behave. If they got in trouble at School or elsewhere, they'd get in trouble at home as well. I don't think it was just the punishment, but the waiting and anticipation of what your parents was going to do as soon as you got home. I think it starts with the parents.

My Mum had a mule which she applied to the back of the legs with painful accuracy !!

Also the Tawse and Cane were dished out at School plus Teachers were free to hit you and throw Blackboard Rubbers with devastating effect.
 

BuhSnarf

Member
Joined
22 May 2010
Messages
912
Location
Leicester
True, but do we really want our kids to be living in fear of their parents? Hasn't the smacking of kids been linked to more issues than it solves?
 

Cdd89

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2017
Messages
1,792
Surely there's a middle ground?
Kicking someone off the bus with no further consequences already is a middle ground. I actually can't see why anyone would object to it, regardless of views on the purpose of justice.

I've never engaged in ASB on buses, but in the past, when I have needed to be taught a lesson, immediate consequences of moderate severity with time to reflect (which is what kicking off the bus achieves) have been very effective, and the people who gave me these consequences did me a favour.
 

Kaliwax

Member
Joined
24 Oct 2023
Messages
299
Location
UK
Adults yes

But under 18s no.

I'm still concerned about stranding a 13 year old child in the middle of nowhere, especially if it's dark and in the winter especially if it's cold.

Especially if it's extremely far away from home. Anything can happen and these days you have to be careful.

I don't think I could live with myself if something happened to the kid while walking the long way home

Id only approve if there was some sort of supervision.

Like the dad in the US who made his daughter walk to School with him behind her in his car.
 

BuhSnarf

Member
Joined
22 May 2010
Messages
912
Location
Leicester
Kicking someone off the bus with no further consequences already is a middle ground. I actually can't see why anyone would object to it, regardless of views on the purpose of justice.

I've never engaged in ASB on buses, but in the past, when I have needed to be taught a lesson, immediate consequences of moderate severity with time to reflect (which is what kicking off the bus achieves) have been very effective, and the people who gave me these consequences did me a favour.

Except this will never happen because of the negative publicity should one of those kicked off end up in danger. By carrying the child they have a duty of safeguarding towards the minor, even if the minor is being a pain in the backside.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,844
Location
Stirlingshire
True, but do we really want our kids to be living in fear of their parents? Hasn't the smacking of kids been linked to more issues than it solves?

I think in the late sixties / early seventies a lot of the Male Teachers had seen Active Service during WWW2 or Korea and didn't stand any nonsense.

Indeed Males were referred to by Surname and Females Christian Name - that used to irk me a bit.

You had to stand up when they came into the room and they were free to dish out what punishments physical or otherwise they deemed appropriate to any miscreants.

They may not have been liked but they were respected and defaulters were a rarity.

The only time we got to be disruptive was with (particularly female) Student Teachers.

If you complained when you got home you ran the risk of getting another dose of punishment.

Was this an equitable system - possibly not but it was effective to control public behaviour.
 

Kaliwax

Member
Joined
24 Oct 2023
Messages
299
Location
UK
I think in the late sixties / early seventies a lot of the Male Teachers had seen Active Service during WWW2 or Korea and didn't stand any nonsense.

Indeed Males were referred to by Surname and Females Christian Name - that used to irk me a bit.

You had to stand up when they came into the room and they were free to dish out what punishments physical or otherwise they deemed appropriate to any miscreants.

They may not have been liked but they were respected and defaulters were a rarity.

The only time we got to be disruptive was with (particularly female) Student Teachers.

If you complained when you got home you ran the risk of getting another dose of punishment.

Was this an equitable system - possibly not but it was effective to control public behaviour.

I know quite a few people who was hurt by some of these teachers and would be in prison in today's world

A relative of mine got caned for being dyslexic.

Another got their head smashed against the wall.

You hear about all these incidents of abuse of teachers from the 1960s, 70s and 80s, getting sent to prison today because at the time kids was never believed

Surely we can't go back to this again
 

JohnofWessex

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2026
Messages
159
Location
frome
If we want people, women in particular to move to 'active' and public transport we need a 'safety' plan

That means getting the drunk and disorderly off the streets and public transport. Also tackling street crime and cycle theft.

Not only arresting people but what happens next to them, that is taking them quickly to Court - which is the big deterrent and Judicial 'disposals' that tackle an individuals offending
 

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,237
This one really annoys me, and they always talk at top note too.The thing is, these conversations seem to be mainly small-talk, it's like 'Look at me!'
But is this really any different to the old ladies I remember from decades ago discussing the medical issues of themselves and/or their families, neighbours etc.

I'd rather listen to "look at me" small-talk than the details of Doris's hysterectomy!
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,806
Location
Croydon
Adults yes

But under 18s no.

I'm still concerned about stranding a 13 year old child in the middle of nowhere, especially if it's dark and in the winter especially if it's cold.

Especially if it's extremely far away from home. Anything can happen and these days you have to be careful.

I don't think I could live with myself if something happened to the kid while walking the long way home

Id only approve if there was some sort of supervision.

Like the dad in the US who made his daughter walk to School with him behind her in his car.
For most of the people I see being anti social the bus journey is not that long.

Last night someone got on the bus and bunked the fare - got off two stops later. They could easily walk that. In fact I got off at the same stop and walked further because the bus I really needed seemed not to exist on the TfL information. I am aged 66, the person not paynig was late teems / early 20s. If they cannot walk that far then there is no hope for humanity and the NHS is going to get buried by unfit humans.

In London we are not talking about ejecting a school kid on a several mile journey on the only bus that evening !.
Except this will never happen because of the negative publicity should one of those kicked off end up in danger. By carrying the child they have a duty of safeguarding towards the minor, even if the minor is being a pain in the backside.
All these rights and no responsibilities.......
 

Trackman

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
4,314
Location
Lewisham
But is this really any different to the old ladies I remember from decades ago discussing the medical issues of themselves and/or their families, neighbours etc.

I'd rather listen to "look at me" small-talk than the details of Doris's hysterectomy!
Never had any problem with old dears- and the chat cant be quite interesting to a certain extent.
One was 'I have already lent you £5000 this year, why do you need more money?' and the other that sticks in my mind was 'Yes, I have been to toilet properly this morning, the doctor says its these tablets'. TMI.
 

scarby

Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
894
I think in the late sixties / early seventies a lot of the Male Teachers had seen Active Service during WWW2 or Korea and didn't stand any nonsense.

Indeed Males were referred to by Surname and Females Christian Name - that used to irk me a bit.

You had to stand up when they came into the room and they were free to dish out what punishments physical or otherwise they deemed appropriate to any miscreants.

They may not have been liked but they were respected and defaulters were a rarity.

The only time we got to be disruptive was with (particularly female) Student Teachers.

If you complained when you got home you ran the risk of getting another dose of punishment.

Was this an equitable system - possibly not but it was effective to control public behaviour.
It absolutely was not.

These people should have been nowhere near a classroom.

They may have been feared but they did not control public behaviour. Those they meted out violence on were much more likely to then take it out on others.

Society in this time was far more violent than today. In places such as pubs violence was never far from the surface. I dare say that incidents of “anti-social behaviour” on buses were more common and worse.
 

Top