• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Antisocial behaviour on buses: Have we given up?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,783
Location
Croydon
Agreed that anti-social behaviour on public transport (not just buses) has increased.

As to how to reduce such incidents, it shouldn’t be down to the driver/conductor. Aside from it not being their job, they are putting themselves at sometimes considerable risk against a minority, who really do not care about anything or anyone else.

There are definitely societal issues, and again, it’s not down to the transport companies to address these. What they can do is engage security staff to mitigate the worst issues, and start enforcing the rules.

Unfortunately, that costs money, both in terms of wages, but pursuing people through the legal system.

Unfortunately, such behaviour is starting to drive me away from using public transport in some circumstances. I suspect if the will is there, companies may invest more in security, but are unlikely to do so until such time as it becomes more cost effective to do so.
I notice it more. Hands free calls, vaping but also more physical stuff.

I do wonder how many of the more serious offenders have ever bought a ticket (not the speaker phone brigade).

Coupled with the fact electric buses are throwing me around more than I might be able to handle I seriously think I should use the car a lot more.

Really feels like one should not use public transport unless there is no alternative.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,641
Location
Isle of Man
There’s nothing new about anti social behaviour. I don’t even think it is getting worse. I remember the glue sniffers on Bradford’s buses back in the early 90s, I remember the gangs of kids hanging round the old Bradford Interchange bus station. I remember the North London Line and the Watford DC line in the early 00s.

Headphones seem to have gone out of fashion, but boom boxes have been a thing for 50 years.

The issue with public transport is that a notable minority of the general public are arseholes. Always have been. Always will be. The only way you solve it is with staffing. We’ve had successive governments who see staffing as a cost centre to be cut. Staff-free public transport is more efficient.
 

Kaliwax

Member
Joined
24 Oct 2023
Messages
290
Location
UK
Not just the impact anti social behaviour has on the drivers, but the drivers families, children's, friends. The impact of getting attacked and getting conditions like PTSD or so severely injured, they might not be able to work again.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,805
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I notice it more. Hands free calls, vaping but also more physical stuff.

Getting on before people have got off is one.

Being quite big and (until level boarding is more widespread) about a foot above them, I tend to do my best to block this until I'm off and speak quite rudely to those who do it. Hopefully this will cause them to get the idea.

Obviously I politely thank those who do wait for people to get off first as they should, to further encourage doing the right thing.
 

BuhSnarf

Member
Joined
22 May 2010
Messages
883
Location
Leicester
I think we may need to differentiate the levels of ASB here as we're classing all of it as one when it's really two seperate things although of course they can mix.

I think those groups talking loudly, parents letting their kids run round the bus screaming, playing music on their phones, watching videos on TikTok, having conversations on their phones are selfish, anti social people. Annoying but not necessarially breaking the law.

But I think those vaping, smoking, drug taking, giving the drivers physical or verbal abuse, intimidating or straight up abusing passengers are very much another thing.

The first one has definitely got much, much worse.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,783
Location
Croydon
I think we may need to differentiate the levels of ASB here as we're classing all of it as one when it's really two seperate things although of course they can mix.

I think those groups talking loudly, parents letting their kids run round the bus screaming, playing music on their phones, watching videos on TikTok, having conversations on their phones are selfish, anti social people. Annoying but not necessarially breaking the law.

But I think those vaping, smoking, drug taking, giving the drivers physical or verbal abuse, intimidating or straight up abusing passengers are very much another thing.

The first one has definitely got much, much worse.
That is true. There is what we could call behaviour borne out of ignorance.

Then there is the wilful misbehaviour - vandalism and the obvious acting up to see if they can get away with it.
 

BuhSnarf

Member
Joined
22 May 2010
Messages
883
Location
Leicester
That is true. There is what we could call behaviour borne out of ignorance.

Then there is the wilful misbehaviour - vandalism and the obvious acting up to see if they can get away with it.
I would argue as well that many of those doing the top one are probably decent people if you know them in their day to day life, they have just grown up or become accustomed to the post COVID culture of their phone being the centre of their world and it insulating them from seeing or considering any one around them.

They aren't actively having a conversation on the phone to annoy people, they just think it's normal because everyone does it and it seems since COVID that some people are afraid or unable to be in their own company and so have to stay in constant communication with people on the phone. They don't think that swiping through TikTok is annoying because everyone else does it.

We're probably all quite guilty of accidentally doing something to annoy people without realising it and probably came across as anti-social which had we been in a different setting we wouldn't do.
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,175
Location
Elginshire
Indeed. I note your self-policing of speech...

3..2...1.. Accusations of being a Nazi...
This is rather bizarre. Why would anyone accuse you of being a Nazi? Please enlighten us!

If buses were more efficient, a lot of these nuisances would be less impactful. When you get a London bus which stops every 400 metres, then dwells for 10 minutes for a driver change...
The efficiency of the service has nothing to do with it. My local bus route doesn't stop every 400 metres and there's every chance that I'll experience someone playing music/YouTube on their phone.

There’s nothing new about anti social behaviour. I don’t even think it is getting worse. I remember the glue sniffers on Bradford’s buses back in the early 90s, I remember the gangs of kids hanging round the old Bradford Interchange bus station. I remember the North London Line and the Watford DC line in the early 00s.

Headphones seem to have gone out of fashion, but boom boxes have been a thing for 50 years.

The issue with public transport is that a notable minority of the general public are arseholes. Always have been. Always will be. The only way you solve it is with staffing. We’ve had successive governments who see staffing as a cost centre to be cut. Staff-free public transport is more efficient.
This. I grew up in the Walkman era (other brands of personal stereo were available) and the most annoying thing then was sound leaking from headphones, especially if the music wasn't to your personal taste. On more than one occasion I've asked someone to either turn the volume down so that nobody else can hear, or turn it up so that we can all hear it properly. Most reasonable people would sheepishly apologise because they simply didn't realise that their actions were causing a nuisance.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,783
Location
Croydon
I would argue as well that many of those doing the top one are probably decent people if you know them in their day to day life, they have just grown up or become accustomed to the post COVID culture of their phone being the centre of their world and it insulating them from seeing or considering any one around them.

They aren't actively having a conversation on the phone to annoy people, they just think it's normal because everyone does it and it seems since COVID that some people are afraid or unable to be in their own company and so have to stay in constant communication with people on the phone. They don't think that swiping through TikTok is annoying because everyone else does it.

We're probably all quite guilty of accidentally doing something to annoy people without realising it and probably came across as anti-social which had we been in a different setting we wouldn't do.
I agree. That low level forgetting consideration for others is exacerbated by people around them just wanting to "mind their own business" these days. As a society we seem to be becoming more insular perhaps.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

This is rather bizarre. Why would anyone accuse you of being a Nazi? Please enlighten us!


The efficiency of the service has nothing to do with it. My local bus route doesn't stop every 400 metres and there's every chance that I'll experience someone playing music/YouTube on their phone.


This. I grew up in the Walkman era (other brands of personal stereo were available) and the most annoying thing then was sound leaking from headphones, especially if the music wasn't to your personal taste. On more than one occasion I've asked someone to either turn the volume down so that nobody else can hear, or turn it up so that we can all hear it properly. Most reasonable people would sheepishly apologise because they simply didn't realise that their actions were causing a nuisance.
This is one of the things to watch. How good are people at telling other people off ?.
Well it should not be a telling off but a gentle reminder. Tone of voice can inadvertently convey a lot of aggression - and lets face it, if everyone is scared to point out something face to face then anyone who is prepared to do it will either be very confident or very fed up by the time they do "complain".
 

8ace

Member
Joined
25 Dec 2019
Messages
329
Location
Brighton
People who insist on alighting from the front door instead of the middle door, just because it's five yards closer to where they are going :'(
Bay seating is another thing that doesn't help - it just encourages people to put their feet up on the rear-facing seats.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,805
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Bay seating is another thing that doesn't help - it just encourages people to put their feet up on the rear-facing seats.

That was always so. The layout is limited by the wheelarch, but you can do other things like have it side facing or one operator made the seats tip up so when nobody is sitting there they raise, leaving the wheelarch underneath where feet can be placed.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,783
Location
Croydon
That was always so. The layout is limited by the wheelarch, but you can do other things like have it side facing or one operator made the seats tip up so when nobody is sitting there they raise, leaving the wheelarch underneath where feet can be placed.
I have always though. Emroidering "Feet Off Seats" on the beck of the opposite seat might help. Tip up seats is more reliable though !.

Then you have those (not on busses) who insist on sitting on the seat back ("perched") with their feet where a normal persons back side goes!.
 

8ace

Member
Joined
25 Dec 2019
Messages
329
Location
Brighton
That was always so. The layout is limited by the wheelarch, but you can do other things like have it side facing or one operator made the seats tip up so when nobody is sitting there they raise, leaving the wheelarch underneath where feet can be placed.
True but this doesn't apply on the top deck!
 

Trackman

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
4,312
Location
Lewisham
So on Sunday I was on the bus and some idiot was talking on his phone on loudspeaker....
This one really annoys me, and they always talk at top note too.The thing is, these conversations seem to be mainly small-talk, it's like 'Look at me!'

There was a girl, again at top volume on to the credit card company as it as hadnt been activated, they read out the card number and CVV! I sighed and muttered something under my breath, the guy sat in front me turned around smiled and nodded at me with acknowledgement.
 

Top