• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Antisocial behaviour on buses: Have we given up?

BuhSnarf

Member
Joined
22 May 2010
Messages
892
Location
Leicester
It's not either/or. If you have people like Merseyrail's enforcement officers, they can and should enforce against ALL antisocial behaviour. Nothing is gained by having them limited to a subset of it.

You're going to struggle to get the same level of enforcement on buses as you will on Merseyrail. You don't even get the no feet enforcement on buses in the Mersey area. Plus, to many (especially younger) feet on seats isn't anti social as it's not affecting anyone else like vaping/smoking is or loud music being played.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DunsBus

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2013
Messages
1,821
Location
Duns
Can’t help but feel this is all being somewhat overplayed. Yes feet on the seats should certainly be discouraged, but frankly it is nowhere near top of my list of nuisance behaviours which I’d be keen to see tackled. If you sit on a transport seat then you are essentially accepting that it could well probably have been completely trashed the previous evening with people throwing up all over it and other unmentionable things.

Far more of a priority for me is people playing stuff out loud on devices, which has reached endemic levels.
We've gone from discussing antisocial behaviour on public transport, to talking crap. I'll get my coat. ;)
 

KHCT

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2025
Messages
141
Location
East Yorks
Hull Bus Station is under the same roof as the Railway Station and is patrolled by Council staff, Transpennine Express security staff and has a British Transport Police station on site. Despite this, nobody does anything to challenge smoking and vaping which is rife. I was waiting there for a bus for 15 minutes yesterday and stopped counting vapers when I got to 50. If such behaviour isn't challenged in the station, it sure as hell won't be challenged once on the bus.

I've taken to logging a crime incident with Humberside Police every time I see someone vaping on a bus in the desperate hope that one day the stats will get bad enough for them to actually do something. However, I fully expect that I'm wasting my time.

To be clear I don't expect drivers to risk themselves and tackle these criminals; in many ways the driver's best option is to get them where they are going ASAP so they can get rid of them.
 

Top