ANorthernGuard
Established Member
- Joined
- 8 Oct 2010
- Messages
- 2,662
To be fair on a small minority of Northern services I've been on in the South Yorkshire area the guard didn't check tickets, or just walked through without stopping calling for any fares. On the other hand I've been on a Huddersfield-Sheffield service and the guard was constantly walking up and down the train. I do think Northern suffer from having a number of guards who perhaps don't go around doing tickets as much as they should.
With respect we have a ride out every 6 months with a CTM who not only checks are rules knowledge etc. but also goes through revenue, amount of tickets sold etc. anyone who does go a lot below the average will get spoken to. For a few different reasons (not to be gotten into in here) I tend to be below average most times but for me I have reasons the people who do not will get a target to aim for (with a hint from a line manager that they need to get out more) (Revenue/Customer service duties not a life lol) again I must remind people that our first duty is SAFETY THEN performance and THEN Revenue.
