• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A Matter of Morals

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris89

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2009
Messages
1,372
Location
Somewhere
I am getting married on saturday though!

Completely off topic but. Congratulations I hope you have a great day and a happy marriage.

For me many years to go until that for myself, But myself and my girlfriend are both very happy.


@blackettstreet: It is a public forum and many people will have different views from yourself. Many as i said earlier were left in bad taste after someone else claiming to be Christian refused to talk to someone because they were Atheist.

Your view is your view and i believe many respect that, but the way you have brought it across seems to be a bit pushy (myself i think) You will learn by what most of us mean when you reach the certain age.

If you find someone and you can keep from sex till your married well done. But believe you may find some diffculty finding a partner.

Also you go for someone at least for my self by physical attraction because its an natural urge to do so (You will learn about this and other things) then you find out about their personality.

@SteveP29 just go to a festival you will see that alot. The amount of attractive ladies who did that at Download '07 was high, even around the camp sites.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

junglejames

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2010
Messages
2,069
I hope assumptions aren't being made about anyone in particular, but some of the comments accompanying votes for the photo were, in general, concerning.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---





Why do people seem to assume that being a teenager is linked to having no sense of moral, and presumably watching porn?

I never said you were watching porn. Nobody did. I said you probably found it immoral because you got a bit hot under the collar looking at it. Ie out of guilt. This has nothing to do with porn.
 

SteveP29

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2011
Messages
1,181
Location
Edinburgh/ Chester le Street
You will need to do all that to get over having to watch Newcastle every week :lol:

Tell me about it, 27 years of going to the match, lots and lots of lows, with only a few highs (2 2nd division championships, 5-0 v Man Ure, Feyenoord, Inter Milan (away) and Juventus (home) in the Champions League and Antwerp and Mallorca (away) in the UEFA Cup)
 

junglejames

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2010
Messages
2,069
Alright.

Christians are obviously attracted to each other. The Bible says that marriage is right and sex is fine inside marriage.

True attraction is not really based on external appearance. It is based on personality. (Obviously there is a biological side to it that tends to match the males to the females.)

Sex is, however, not for outside marriage. And it is not to be cheapened.

In my opinion, the photo cheapens sex, but sadly this is what you see everywhere in society today.

I'll be fair now. I can see where the OP is coming from here. He thinks the picture cheapens sex. Thats a fair comment if thats how he see's it.
But saying originally that it is immoral to pose like this, and to put pics like this up on the forum? It isnt immoral. The picture is totally normal. But if you think the picture cheapens sex, then thats a fair comment to make. I can see where you are coming from.
Crikey, Im going to get mistaken for a christian now!
 

strange6

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2011
Messages
1,920
Location
Wigan, Greater manchester
I'll be fair now. I can see where the OP is coming from here. He thinks the picture cheapens sex. Thats a fair comment if thats how he see's it.
But saying originally that it is immoral to pose like this, and to put pics like this up on the forum? It isnt immoral. The picture is totally normal. But if you think the picture cheapens sex, then thats a fair comment to make. I can see where you are coming from.
Crikey, Im going to get mistaken for a christian now!

Can the moderators please lock this thread up now because it's getting very silly and I think we've exhausted the debate!
 
Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
An interesting debate here!! The picture is fine IMO, but I could perhaps see why some people (very much the minority though) wouldn't like it, some people of the Muslim faith that I know spring to mind. That does not make it immoral though, IPT didn't force anyone!!
 

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2010
Messages
1,217
Location
Brereton, Rugeley, Staffordshire
Exactly, there was nothing wrong with the picture at all, I should not have been forced into making this decision!

Let me draw your attention, blackettstreet, bittern and willg (who threw his toys out of the pram!) to the rules of the POTW competition:

You should only upload one photo per competition
The photo submitted should be a photo taken by yourself.
Entrants must not vote for their own photo *
Photographs entered must be in JPG format and be no larger than 1024x768.
Photographs should not contain a copyright stamp
No images should have objects added, moved or removed digitally. The only form of editing allowed is simple retouching (see below) *
All photos must be railway related
Once entered, you may not withdraw your photo from the competition, however photos may still be withdrawn if deemed necessary by forum staff
Simple retouching includes cropping, contrast, brightness/saturation and sharpness

* If the rules marked with an asterisk are broken the following procedure will apply: Your photo will be disqualified from the competition and you will be banned for the next competition.

Specifically banned forms of editing (list not exhaustive): HDR, tone mapping

Now, where, to those three users in question, does it state that I cannot enter a picture of two women dressed as schoolgirls?

Absolutely nowhere!

So what if I had won with that picture? The idea of that thread is TO HAVE FUN and if you wanna throw your toys out of the pram about it, what you should have done was keep your views until after the competition and then say something or take it up at the start f the competition. Not halfway through when people have voted for pictures in the thread
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
BTW, good luck for Saturday Chris89
 

Oswyntail

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
4,183
Location
Yorkshire
I can completely understand where the OP is coming from, and I would go so far as to say that most people would agree with him if, instead of using the word "immoral" he had said the responses to the picture (admit it, it was laddish smirking) were generally not overly pleasant to women. Kudos to the OP for being brave enough to stand up and say it, and to stand by his ideals. We have (most of us) been 13, and it is an age of fierce opinions, not always fluently expressed. I have no problem with my daughter dressing in this way, but I would be very angry if men started commenting leerily at her. I, too, am a Christian, and the basic tenet of my faith is that we should treat others as we would like to be treated ourselves. How many of us would truly feel comfortable knowing that a bunch of women strangers were ogling our legs?
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
Ian, we are not talking about the rules, we are talking about whether it is moral or not. Morality and rules are two entirely different things!
 

Oswyntail

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
4,183
Location
Yorkshire
Oh dear - having just read IPTs post above, I see the "It's not against the rules so I am entitled to do it" argument raising its ugly head. Anyone remember MPs expenses, or bankers' bonuses? Not a very good justification for anything, as it ignores personal responsibility for one's own actions. But, as I said, the problem was not with the picture (which was not one of the best) but the all too predicatble reaction.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
But, as I said, the problem was not with the picture (which was not one of the best) but the all too predicatble reaction.

The reaction on this thread did seem a little fierce IMHO. I'll repeat, I thought the photo was absolutely fine, however it did seem like people were swayed by the ladies (it's natural, can't blame people for that!). Did it affect the voting? I don't know. To use the old adage, 'sex sells', regardless of gender. The vast majority of people don't have an issue with that.

Nowadays, your average pop music video is more explicit.
 
Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
As I never venture to the POTW section, I had no idea what led to this thread. If it was leery comments rather than the photo itself, then I have sympathy for the OP being offended.

Unfortunately, from the opening post in this thread, and the subsequent debates, I got the impression that it was the photo itself that was the problem rather than the comments made about it.
 

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2010
Messages
1,217
Location
Brereton, Rugeley, Staffordshire
Hey, if I was going for sex sells, I would have put up a more provacative pic but I didn't.

IMO, I did nothing wrong, I entered a photo that I thought filled the bill

I didn't put a photo up saying 'hey, here's a could of sexy schoolgirls on a steam engine, come vote for me'
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
As I never venture to the POTW section, I had no idea what led to this thread. If it was leery comments rather than the photo itself, then I have sympathy for the OP being offended.

Unfortunately, from the opening post in this thread, and the subsequent debates, I got the impression that it was the photo itself that was the problem rather than the comments made about it.

It has degenerated at a speed only exceeded by the rise in rail fares :p

The photo was mild in the extreme - the view expressed by some was it was degrading for women to be portrayed as sex objects as was there interperatation of the poses undertaken.

Believe me it was nothing Larry Flynt would have sleepless nights about :p
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Hey, if I was going for sex sells, I would have put up a more provacative pic but I didn't.

IMO, I did nothing wrong, I entered a photo that I thought filled the bill

I didn't put a photo up saying 'hey, here's a could of sexy schoolgirls on a steam engine, come vote for me'

No, I believe you were not going for 'sex sells', this picture was harmless fun, but perhaps that is what the OP (and supporters) thought? I should have made that clearer.

What I am trying to say is that this society is very much tolerant of this, and 'sex sells' is everywhere, this was nothing compared to your average music video!!

I didn't put a photo up saying 'hey, here's a could of sexy schoolgirls on a steam engine, come vote for me'

:lol::lol: :oops:
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Bloody hell, must have missed something in the past few hours.

Hasn't been a more controversial thread since Mr Guide Bridge and his unfortunate tales of 142s
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Hey, if I was going for sex sells, I would have put up a more provacative pic but I didn't.

IMO, I did nothing wrong, I entered a photo that I thought filled the bill

I didn't put a photo up saying 'hey, here's a could of sexy schoolgirls on a steam engine, come vote for me'

Have you got a spread :oops:...eagled shot with them draped over the boiler :p
 

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2010
Messages
1,217
Location
Brereton, Rugeley, Staffordshire
I actually don't have a more provactive pic, I just thought I would say that

Fact of the matter is though that three users blew this way out of the water; whowas to say I would have won the competition? It would have been nice to win but we will never know now. They don't know that that picture would have won unless one of them is Mystic Meg
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Butts, your pseudonym is provocative and could shock 13 YO guys you know. :lol::roll:

It shocks me - I have not been so excited since I smuggled an H&E out of the newsagents hidden in a Tiger comic :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I actually don't have a more provactive pic, I just thought I would say that

Fact of the matter is though that three users blew this way out of the water; whowas to say I would have won the competition? It would have been nice to win but we will never know now. They don't know that that picture would have won unless one of them is Mystic Meg

I voted for 12 before the withdrawal:p
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
I actually don't have a more provactive pic, I just thought I would say that

If you did, keep it away from here to avoid WW3 on here! :lol:

whowas to say I would have won the competition?

The comments were favourable, but I guess it wasn't to everyone's taste (like most things really). If that was the case, they could just vote for another picture, simple. However, the debate that went on snowballed into something much larger. That didn't make the original picture immoral though, feel free to post similar in future IMO!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top