• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A Matter of Morals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,144
Location
Redcar
Well why would someone want to? Sex is the be-all and end-all to a marriage?

There was nothing in my comment or the comment you originally quoted to say that. You have decided to say that.

My partner found me by grabbing my backside on a night out, we were attracted to each other from that night. 8 years later we are still together and have two beautiful young children.

The attraction that night was initially on sex appeal but we are still together, very much in love.

So yes, you can do it that way.
 

EM2

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
7,522
Location
The home of the concrete cow
So people try to attract people to spend their life with by sex appeal?
(Don't bother following up on that comment, I know it's sadly true.)

I know that is not how I would want to find someone who I would marry.
But you must have an initial attraction. Yes, personality is important but there *must* be an initial attraction of something, whether it's looks, charm, wit, style or whatever. You can't discover a personality on first impressions.
That doesn't mean, of course, that you can't then find someone attractive once you've got to know them and learnt more about them and discovered what their personality is like (this will happen more often than not in a work situation), in fact this is what happened with me and my wife.
 
Joined
26 Apr 2011
Messages
351
Location
...
There was nothing in my comment or the comment you originally quoted to say that. You have decided to say that.

My apologies.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That doesn't mean, of course, that you can't then find someone attractive once you've got to know them and learnt more about them and discovered what their personality is like (this will happen more often than not in a work situation), in fact this is what happened with me and my wife.

A good point.

You also say that you can't discover personality on first impressions. I agree. But then I would not want to choose someone just because of an initial physical attraction, then discover their personality.

On the other hand, as I have previously mentioned, there is always going to be biology involved. It's a fact.

So I can appreciate what you're saying.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,573
Location
Macclesfield
far from it, if thats what you think fair enough, but perhaps your christianity is covering you up from the real world. this is everyday dress in this day and age. As your 13 i wont suggest going to a nightclub, but realistically 90% of girls in nightclub enviroments wear far less.
Just because it is a common occurence in our society doesn't mean that the societal values that are in place to bring about such behaviour shouldn't be questioned. I have no moral qualms about the dresswear of the opposite sex, and nor do I believe that they should not have the choice to wear whatever they please as they freely wish.

A previous post some way back insinuated that the girls wished to look good by wearing the attire they were clothed in, but why is it that a girl "looking good" insinuates that large expanses of exposed flesh should be present? It is not the behaviour of girls who dress like this that is at question, but the social pressures that are placed upon them that suggets that this is the way that things have to be.
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
So people try to attract people to spend their life with by sex appeal?

What attracts you to another person?

I know that is not how I would want to find someone who I would marry.

Which is fine, but not everyone is the same as you.

Well why would someone want to? Sex is the be-all and end-all to a marriage?

For you it's not.
For some it is.
So what?

People look for different things in a relationship, whether you agree or disagree with it doesn't make it right or wrong.

I bet some of the things I look for in a relationship you'd disagree with as well, but that doesn't make it wrong, it just makes me different from you.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
i'm unmarried, live with fiance and have a beautiful daughter. Wouldnt change it for anything, I've everything i could wish for, have my home, 2 nice cars, everything i could possibly want and very happy. I wouldnt have any of it if my fiance didnt fall pregnant outside of marriage as that brought us closer together from just being just a "casual" relationship.

I am getting married on saturday though!
 
Joined
26 Apr 2011
Messages
351
Location
...
People look for different things in a relationship, whether you agree or disagree with it doesn't make it right or wrong.

I bet some of the things I look for in a relationship you'd disagree with as well, but that doesn't make it wrong, it just makes me different from you.

I know. I haven't being trying to say that something is right or wrong.
 

Minilad

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
4,398
Location
Anywhere B link goes
i'm unmarried, live with fiance and have a beautiful daughter. Wouldnt change it for anything, I've everything i could wish for, have my home, 2 nice cars, everything i could possibly want and very happy. I wouldnt have any of it if my fiance didnt fall pregnant outside of marriage as that brought us closer together from just being just a "casual" relationship.

I am getting married on saturday though!

Congratulations mate. There is still time to come to your senses though you know ;)
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
....(exasperated sigh).......if I remember correctly, that's how this all began....:neutral:

So, actually, the whole thread was about nothing then?

All I have to say, is I am disgusted - not even at its use to try and win the competition, but at its simple existence. I feel it is completely immoral.

If you're not saying it's wrong, why is it immoral? And why are you disgusted by it?
 

Minilad

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
4,398
Location
Anywhere B link goes
And the lord doth say. Go forth to the offy and get a couple of bottles of Charles Wells Banana Bread Beer. So they did and much merriment taketh place
 

SteveP29

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2011
Messages
1,181
Location
Edinburgh/ Chester le Street
No disrespect intended towards you here, but in a couple of years (if not sooner), then you will view that sort of picture in a totally different light, regardless of religous views.

Wait till he goes on a mate's stag do, see what happens when the stripper they order gets her kit off in front of him, it'll be either run a mile or he'll say f***ing get in there, look at those!!

Secondly, I see you're a Newcastle United fan like myself, when you're 18 and going to the match, go for a few pints in Blu Bambu or the City Vaults in the Bigg Market, see plenty lasses with their jubblies out, you'll feel like a pig in s**t
 

Minilad

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
4,398
Location
Anywhere B link goes
Secondly, I see you're a Newcastle United fan like myself, when you're 18 and going to the match, go for a few pints in Blu Bambu or the City Vaults in the Bigg Market, see plenty lasses with their jubblies out, you'll feel like a pig in s**t

You will need to do all that to get over having to watch Newcastle every week :lol:
 

SteveP29

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2011
Messages
1,181
Location
Edinburgh/ Chester le Street
My apologies.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

But then I would not want to choose someone just because of an initial physical attraction, then discover their personality

Then how do you propose to get to know their personality?

Best way is by face to face chat, only way you're going to do that is by taking them out, you can't make assumptions based on what you read in an email or a txt as it is you that is reading it, you make up your mind as to what the tone and meaning of what it says, which, as many people have found to their cost, is sometimes a million miles away from what was initially meant.

As others here are saying, you can't be attracted to someone you've never met because of their personality, as that's impossible, so there has to be some other sort of attraction that leads you into pursuing them
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I am getting married on saturday though!

Congratulations, hope it's a great day for both of you :)
 

junglejames

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2010
Messages
2,069
The thing with Keys/Gray was the holier-than-thou/moral high ground aftertones from feminists such as Karren Brady, getting on their high horses about how women are continually discriminated against at work, with absolutely no attempt to tackle the issue of a couple of people saying inappropriate things.
Yes Keys and Gray should've been a little more responsible, but all it needed was a formal apology

But how many apologies have they got to issue, and how many sexist comments are they able to make, before something is done about them.
Remember, the sexist comments regarding the assistant referee was not the first thing.
 

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
But there is no reason for them to choose to dress in such a manner, then pose for a photo, unless they were trying to give a certain sort of impression.
Because they have free will and wanted to? As far as I am concerned they can give whatever impression they like, as long as they do it freely.
I can only view this as sexulisation.
People can, and do, choose to sexualise themselves; sexuality is a very important part of some people's lives and is perfectly normal.

If you don't understand it then there isn't much anyone can say to change your mind, but other people do understand it and are not likely to agree with you that it is 'wrong'.

However, would the company have chosen to also dress male staff in such a suggestive manner? Therefore, I also view this as discrimination. Subtle, perhaps, but discrimination nonetheless.
I actually agree with that.

If they choose to dress like that, it's fine, they have the power to make that choice, but if it's some sort of 'uniform' then I do find it objectionable.
In my opinion, people should be employed for their ability to do the job, not for how they look in a mini-skirt.

It is, in my opinion, but an example of sexualisation in modern society.
Again, expressing their sexuality is an important part of many people's lives.

I do not think sexualisation of those who do not consent to it, or are not old enough to understand the implications is a good thing.
I think that people who are old enough, and understand what they are doing, should be free to express themselves.

I find someone telling others that they are not allowed to express their sexuality objectionable.

(I find that certain attitudes of certain religions towards women and homosexuals to be reprehensible, and is denying people the freedom to be themselves without being punished for it.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top