DustyBin
Established Member
Which is called "doing it on the cheap". Indeed, like MCAS, the whole thing is doing it on the cheap - the more expensive and safer option would be not to have the gap at all unless the door is specified.
I'm not a fan of the MAX (at all!) but there's an obvious commercial benefit to offering this kind of flexibility for the reason @najaB has stated.
It's perfectly possible to have the handle lift the door when it is operated. I've seen at least one aircraft door that does work that way.
From what I can make out this is exactly how the door and plug options both operate. They lift over the stops before folding down via bottom mounted hinges.
I did note that they're fitted with lift-assist springs which may be significant, as if the locking bolts are missing the door isn't even held in place by it's own full weight....
Either way there was no need to have a design of door/plug with only one layer of safety - one set of bolts. That is flawed and I am not being swayed on that. A dangerous aircraft design found to be even more dangerous - is this Boeing's DC-10?
The bolts should be fail-safe though. Again, I think this incident is very likely the result of serious human error/negligence which is impossible to allow for. I suspect that the "lessons learned" will centre around quality control and training as opposed to the design of the door/plug itself. I could be wrong of course!

