northwichcat
Veteran Member
Unless ATW plan on taking on more 158s then they will be left short of units by replacing the 175 fleet with 22 185s.
I believe Holyhead-Birmingham via Stafford will resume upon the new franchise, as it used to be until the early 2000s.
At the moment there's a lot of question marks over the next Wales & Border franchise, the door has been left open for English services transferring to LM and other franchises if Cardiff gets full control over the franchise. There could well be a Wales franchise where the only DMUs are Sprinters.
However, if it all the current routes remain in the same franchise and additional routes get added I can't see 158s and 175s and 185s being the solution. If they get 185s I imagine they'll either replace some 175s with 158s or they'll start releasing/subleasing 175s with the 175s going when Manchester-York electrification is complete and more 185s will be made available.