• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Year 10/12 Work Experience on the Railway - General Discussion

MatthewE707

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2025
Messages
161
Location
Essex
At my school, we have to do a week of work experience in Year 12 (I’m studying Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Computing), and since I’m hoping for a career in railways (hopefully timetable planning) in the future, I wrote to Greater Anglia to ask if I could do my work experience with them. However, I’ve just heard back that they’re unable to support it. I also wrote to c2c about 2 weeks ago and haven’t yet had a reply. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do now? - thanks in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,298
Location
Leeds
Show initiative and try contacting directly - phone, their online chat systems etc
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,720
Location
Burgess Hill
Show initiative and try contacting directly - phone, their online chat systems etc
They already did this and contacted them, and they said no. Continuing to ask just shows the poster's inability to understand what has already been said, and would likely be seen as pestering.

@MatthewE707 I often see timetable planner placements at GTR, but these are typically for university students wanting a year in industry or as a graduate role. Have you considered other areas of the railway which, while they might not be relevant to your future desired role, would still be beneficial for the purpose of general work experience?

Lots of organisations are seemingly more reluctant to offer work experience these days, unfortunately.
 

MatthewE707

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2025
Messages
161
Location
Essex
@MatthewE707 I often see timetable planner placements at GTR, but these are typically for university students wanting a year in industry. Have you considered other areas of the railway which, while they might not be relevant to your future desired role, would still be beneficial for the purpose of general work experience?
Yes - I’m not worried about what area the work experience focuses on. I noticed GTR have a specific work experience on their website - might be worth contacting them then? Could be quite a long journey though…
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,720
Location
Burgess Hill
Yes - I’m not worried about what area the work experience focuses on. I noticed GTR have a specific work experience on their website - might be worth contacting them then? Could be quite a long journey though…
It can't hurt!

I've been trying to search around, and most places seem to talk about work experience on their website, but then fail to actually provide any way to register your interest or enquire.

Some seem to advertise on a platform called Routes into Rail, but I can't see any work experience listed on there.

It might be that this is the "wrong" time of year to look at things like this, and things may become available during the start of next year.
 
Joined
23 Sep 2025
Messages
6
Location
manchester
Morning, I’m sure you’ve read the many post on here and understand it’s a tough industry to crack. Don’t be disheartened by that, persistence pays off. Ok, so you’ve tried the standard approach with no luck. How about this.

Network = Networth

A. LinkedIn could be an approach - find people whom work at the business you’re looking for and contact them directly - explain what you have done already and you’re trying to make a connection to someone who can help. You’re obviously keen, explain you want to find out more about the industry generally and name some roles you’re interested in. Briefly explain why you’re doing it. I.e you’re looking to find out about the day to day life of roles before you commit to deciding if it’s a career path for you. Leave your contact details.

B. Bit old fashioned, probably nerve wracking but it is highly effective. Get some slips/cards made up with your contact details on. Approach someone at the station, explain what you’re looking for and can anyone help set up a short chat/meeting to talk about their role. You might get knocked back - ideally approach someone who’s not busy. But someone will feel your pain and help. AIM here is when you pass your details you ask for theirs, then you can follow up with them.

C. Kind of following on from B - ask away on here who are people whom are likely to become planners - for example would that be a dispatcher. They might be easier to find and could have their own aspirations to be a planner and would likely be more willing to talk.

You’ll be surprised how many people are happy to talk about their jobs - people love it.

If you’re interested in being out on the track or platform but end up connecting with a planner and talking to them - once you’re with them you can ask, do you know any drivers/ conductors I can chat with - it’ll roll.

Many places might not have specific work experience placements - but nothing is stopping them from having a chat and that might end up in a placement. From what i see these days work placements are less about doing the job, the students just getting batted around the office talking and hearing about the different depts.

I’d just frame the conversation differently and just ask for a chat about the job and see where that takes you.

I applied to the rail industry knowing nobody who worked in it. I just started approaching people when I was going to/from work. By the end of my application I had about 3/4 different people whom talked me through the job and application process.

Hope this helps, like anything there is 10 ways to do it. See if that works. All the best.
 
Last edited:

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,298
Location
Leeds
They already did this and contacted them, and they said no. Continuing to ask just shows the poster's inability to understand what has already been said, and would likely be seen as pestering.
Apologies, I didn’t see where they’d contacted c2c since the original letter was sent.
 

Henspenst

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2025
Messages
5
Location
Wiltshire, England
I am a year 10 student looking for work experience on the 29th June -3rd July 2026. I have contact info for Gloucester Depot manager and I might also try GWR.Feedback@GWR.com however I can't seem to find any contact info for GTR. I will also post the email draft here when I write that later, thanks.
 

DMckduck

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2020
Messages
488
Unfortunately work experience is quite limited on the railway due to the nature of the operations.

You will have more luck at the head office, depots won't have anything for you to do.
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,720
Location
Burgess Hill
You will have missed the GTR work experience applications. These went live in mid-November and have already closed.
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,720
Location
Burgess Hill
I don't think GTR have any other weeks than the one they offer and advertised for.
 

Stuart-h

Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
324
if you can find your nearest freight depot I’d also ask them the same question.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,032
Location
London
I think the GTR discussion in here is a mistype by the OP (for “GWR”) considering Gloucester is quite far away from the nearest GTR location!
 

Henspenst

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2025
Messages
5
Location
Wiltshire, England
Sorry, that is correct as I have a relative in the southern region who I can stay with for it so the stations I can reach are Swindon, hungerford and Hurst green
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,032
Location
London
Sorry, that is correct as I have a relative in the southern region who I can stay with for it so the stations I can reach are Swindon, hungerford and Hurst green

Ah I see. Although surely you don't need to limit it to just those, but say a 30-min commute from those?
 

MatthewE707

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2025
Messages
161
Location
Essex
At my school, we have to do a week of work experience in Year 12 (I’m studying Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Computing), and since I’m hoping for a career in railways (hopefully timetable planning) in the future, I wrote to Greater Anglia to ask if I could do my work experience with them. However, I’ve just heard back that they’re unable to support it. I also wrote to c2c about 2 weeks ago and haven’t yet had a reply. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do now? - thanks in advance.
I received a response from Greater Anglia today after a continued discussion and they have a placement available at Liverpool Street in 'customer experience'. Does anyone know what this might involve?
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,032
Location
London
I received a response from Greater Anglia today after a continued discussion and they have a placement available at Liverpool Street in 'customer experience'. Does anyone know what this might involve?

Probably providing passenger information mostly (telling people what platforms to go to, where is the ticket office, how do I get to 'X' etc.), maybe some assistance support too.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,927
I did once take a 15 year old out for a day on train following me around as a conductor, all done formally through the company and requested by a manager - but they were a child of a driver mentor who was specially rostered to drive the train I was working. So it is possible - but not necessarily easy to sort.
 

Azure_wolf32

Member
Joined
21 Apr 2025
Messages
24
Location
Barnstaple
I received a response from Greater Anglia today after a continued discussion and they have a placement available at Liverpool Street in 'customer experience'. Does anyone know what this might involve?
Out of interest, how did you convince them? I've asked GWR a couple of times and they've not been keen. I'm able to get to other TOCs in London over February half term and April holidays. Anyone got any ideas, I will literally take anything rail related
 

MatthewE707

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2025
Messages
161
Location
Essex
Out of interest, how did you convince them? I've asked GWR a couple of times and they've not been keen. I'm able to get to other TOCs in London over February half term and April holidays. Anyone got any ideas, I will literally take anything rail related
I wouldn't say I 'convinced them', as such. I just wrote an email basically asking if they would be able to provide a placement, they asked me to fill in an interest form and send in my CV and it's just gone from there.
 
Joined
9 Dec 2023
Messages
589
Location
High Wycombe
Do Avanti, LNWR/WMR, or GWR do work experience? I applied for Chiltern, but they seem to have stopped their program they used to talk about on their website. I’d happily go for anything further afield at this point but the above ones are best geographically for me
 
Joined
9 Dec 2023
Messages
589
Location
High Wycombe

Had a little look and found this on google. Looks interesting, but at the bottom, says “Applications are open until the 23rd November”. Slightly confusing that it still seems to be up two months later
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,641
Location
Northampton
Do Avanti, LNWR/WMR, or GWR do work experience? I applied for Chiltern, but they seem to have stopped their program they used to talk about on their website. I’d happily go for anything further afield at this point but the above ones are best geographically for me
If you are struggling to find specific examples, don't be afraid to broaden your search. Some people have already suggested bus operators - but there's airports, ports, etc who might all give you relevant experience of the types of tasks a railway operations role would bring.

Also don't be afraid to look at more office-type roles in the train companies - it may be easier for them to accomodate work experience on a non-frontline role, but sitting with a timetable or rolling stock planning team or something.

If you are interested in the more strategic planning side of things, also have a look at consultancies.
 

Top