Hi I'm a Year 10 student based in North London and I'm looking for work experience in the rail and underground sector if possible ? I'm happy to do anything !
The dates I would be looking for are 23rd to 27th June 2024
I'm a GCSE student hoping to gain some work experience in the rail industry.
Unfortunately, I either can't find anything or many dead ends in old websites.
My dream job is the operational side either guarding or station staff.
Should I start cold emailing my local operators like thameslink and TfL?
Much love,
stardust
Get on the careers mailing list of your local train company, then they'll let you know of any positions or apprenticeships that become availableAlright, thanks.
Any ideas where else I could pursue railway based work experience in North London as it seems like I won't be getting a response from Chiltern
Yes I have all sent them to the same address, I'll try to send them to the Chiltern customer support email address and see if I get a response from that.have all of the multiplle emails you've sent gone to the same address? there's every chance that someone has changed role and now nobody monitors that inbox and noone realises

This was asked relatively recently: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...nce-on-the-railway-general-discussion.276141/ - you might find some useful info there. Please don't be despondent about some of the replies, there will be ways to do work experience, but it's often the case that finding the correct person in a large organisation might take a bit of effort!This arrived in my inbox today. Cannot vouch for quality or safety of this placement, so the young person and parent / carer should be checking this themselves.I am a careers leader for a school in west London.
First port of call should be the careers leader in your school. Their initial response might be 'we don't do work experience', but perservere and they should support you to find your own placement. Mention to them that you doing work experience will help the school meet Gatsby benchmark 6 and Ofsted look at these closely.
Have you considered what you want to do at TfL? It is a huge organisation with a diverse range of roles. Does your e mail make it clear what you are interested in (without being overly prescriptive) doing during work experience? Some young people will look for office based placements whilst others might want more hands on practical placements.
Have you also considered what you hope to acheive / gain from doing work experience?
The London Transport Museum is always looking for volunteers. I recently took part in a focus group with them and know they are keen to engage with younger and under represented audiences.
E mails to the head office will often be ignored as the person reading them doesn't know who to forward it to and it gets deleted. Have a look at this website. It is aimed at teaching staff but gives you a flavour of what TfL offers for students and might yield a contact who can point you in the right direction.
SRE Work Experience Placement
Our work experience placement is a week-long introduction to the Southern Renewals Enterprise (SRE).
The SRE is a 10-year renewals programme, updating our track across Kent, Wessex, and Sussex. Students will rotate between different teams to get an idea of the roles and functions involved in running a large-scale programme, from commercial to engineering, HR to Environment.
Students will get hands-on experience and shadowing opportunities, as well as support and insights from industry professionals. Students will also be set a challenge on their placement week. The challenge will be chosen by the students and will reflect live challenges we have faced on the project, with final presentations taking place on the final day of the placement.
Our placement week will require in-person attendance and take place at Network Rail head offices, near Blackfriars station in London. Hybrid work experience weeks can also be arranged on request and subject to agreement. A full address and instructions will be provided on confirmation of your placement. While our offices are owned by Network Rail, you will be working alongside professionals from a range of companies including Network Rail, VolkerRail, AtkinsRealis, Octavius and VolkerFitzpatrick.
Open to Year 10 and Year 11 students, aged 15-16. We are also able to offer work experience placement weeks to older students, from age 16-18. Our placement weeks run throughout the year, and we are flexible on start dates. Demand is generally higher in June and July each year.
To enquire, please email SocialValue@srerail.co.uk and zenia.khajotia@srerail.co.uk, highlighting your interest.
Thank you for the link. Unfortunately I don’t know anyone working in the field. Once again, thank youEveryone I've seen do work experience has known someone that works within TfL already and they have asked locally. Do you know any staff who could ask their managers?
It is strange being handed my paperwork by a 15 or 16 year old behind the desk.
Edit: presumably you've had a look here? Not sure if it's what you're looking for.