• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Voyager Refurbishment

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,571
Location
Lichfield
Probably someone within the DfT decided they were more trouble than it was worth regarding staffing & training the staff

To be fair, that was my first though when I read about the proposal, so I'm not surprised to hear it probably isn't going to happen.
 

43102EMR

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2021
Messages
1,382
Location
UK
Chime Whistle, though not exactly flavour of the month, is reporting eight additional Voyagers will be headed to XC from December to March. 221101-6 make sense, but do GC have a replacement for their pair?
Aka “Chime Wibble”…

As others have said, we wait for a more verifiable source to confirm. Not that this isn’t unexpected though.
 
Joined
29 Aug 2026
Messages
48
Location
South Wales
220017 out of Litchurch Lane yesterday, theres a unit going in today

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

220017 out of Litchurch Lane yesterday, theres a unit going in today
220012 is the unit that went into Derby, as of this weekends swap. This leaves 12 units left in service in the unrefurbished livery (005 is still stripped down at Central Rivers)
 
Last edited:

rower40

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2008
Messages
583
I commute York to Derby and back once a week. So far, I’ve been on refurbed units 3 times.
When will the refurbished units outnumber the non-refurbed ones? I.e. when will it be more likely that I’ll be on a new one?
(Apologies if this is already answered somewhere in the prior 70 pages.)
New milestone...
I'm currently on a double-set, both units of which are refurbed.
(1V46 0642 York to Plymouth, 22nd Sept 2026.)
 

tumbles

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2020
Messages
191
Location
Portishead
New milestone...
I'm currently on a double-set, both units of which are refurbed.
(1V46 0642 York to Plymouth, 22nd Sept 2026.)

I had that last week on the 1503 Manchester Piccadilly to Bristol Temple Meads (15th Sept) - I guess with only 12 left to do it'll be more common.
 

Amos390

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2025
Messages
874
Location
Nottingham
I had that last week on the 1503 Manchester Piccadilly to Bristol Temple Meads (15th Sept) - I guess with only 12 left to do it'll be more common.
When they finish them 12 will they move straight on to the 221s or will there be a period where nothing much happens there?
 

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2018
Messages
3,021
Location
Edinburgh
When they finish them 12 will they move straight on to the 221s or will there be a period where nothing much happens there?
Unless it finishes over the Christmas period I don’t see why they wouldn’t just switch straight to the 221’s. Though looking at how many are left, it’s probably more likely to be January/February before the 220’s are all done. However if it’s three being done at a time, then as soon as the 3rd to last 220 is done, the first 221 should go in.

I’d imagine they’ll do the 4 car 221’s first, just so all of the 4 cars are done. After that the original XC 5 Car 221’s, then the ex Avanti ones last. The latter of which was confirmed previously.
 

cats_five

Member
Joined
19 Sep 2021
Messages
276
Location
Scotland
Unless it finishes over the Christmas period I don’t see why they wouldn’t just switch straight to the 221’s. Though looking at how many are left, it’s probably more likely to be January/February before the 220’s are all done. However if it’s three being done at a time, then as soon as the 3rd to last 220 is done, the first 221 should go in.

I’d imagine they’ll do the 4 car 221’s first, just so all of the 4 cars are done. After that the original XC 5 Car 221’s, then the ex Avanti ones last. The latter of which was confirmed previously.

And it seems to be the 5 car 221's for EDI-PNZ, so I won't see any of the refurbishment on this year's Cornish holiday.
 

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2018
Messages
3,021
Location
Edinburgh
There seems to be another switch today in lit church, which units will these be?
There’s two paths from Litchurch Lane to Central Rivers today and another two tomorrow. Absolutely no idea what they could be, but I have seen plenty of suggestions elsewhere that it is some of 101-106.

A pair of 180’s (109 today and 113 yesterday) have also been moved to Eastleigh from Litchurch Lane, so I’m not sure if there’s a space issue at the moment.

A path has also appeared for Saturday. That is probably 220009.
 

CR165022

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2019
Messages
1,448
Location
Buckinghamshire
Are we sure a unit swap actually happened today and it wasn't just one of the stored 221s doing a few runs back & forth?
 

Defiance149

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2013
Messages
497
Are we sure a unit swap actually happened today and it wasn't just one of the stored 221s doing a few runs back & forth?

5Z21 to Central Rivers was 221106 in between 43480/465 and 43484/468 with barriers, Unknown what was on the 5Z52 return.
 

jazzy

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2014
Messages
154
Might as well make a list:

220001 - Refurbished - In Service - With MSO 60727 (220027)
220002 - Refurbished - In Service
220003 - Refurbished - In Service
220004 - Unrefurbished
- In Service
220005 - Unrefurbished - Out of Service (Pride Livery)
220006 - Refurbished - In Service
220007 - Refurbished - In Service
220008 - Refurbished - In Service
220009 - Undergoing Refurbishment at Derby (Hixon)
220010 - Unrefurbished - In Service
220011 - Unrefurbished - In Service
220012 - Unrefurbished - In Service
220013 - Refurbished - In Service
220014 - Unrefurbished - In Service
220015 - Unrefurbished - In Service
220016 - Refurbished - In Service (Voyager20)
220017 - Undergoing Refurbishment at Derby
220018 - Unrefurbished - In Service

220019 - Refurbished - Out of Service
220020 - Unrefurbished - In Service
220021 - Refurbished - In Service
220022 - Unrefurbished - In Service
220023 - Refurbished - In Service
220024 - Unrefurbished - In Service
220025 - Refurbished - In Service
220026 - Unrefurbished - In Service
220027 - Refurbished - Out of Service
- With MSO 60701 (220001)
220028 - Refurbished - In Service
220029 - Refurbished - In Service
220030 - Unrefurbished - In Service
220031 - Undergoing Refurbishment at Derby
220032 - Unrefurbished - In Service

220033 - Refurbished - In Service
220034 - Unrefurbished - In Service
Could this list be updated? It’s useful to have the current state in a single place.

Thanks in anticipation!
 

tumbles

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2020
Messages
191
Location
Portishead
One gripe I have - great that the fold down tables are longer but my god when someone flips one up behind it absolutely clatters into the seat like someone kicking it from behind - guess over time the tray table mech will not be quite so firm!
 

Top