swt_passenger
Veteran Member
- Joined
- 7 Apr 2010
- Messages
- 34,313
There are sensors fitted in some areas that are already seen as being vulnerable, but I don’t think they’ve been mentioned here. In this case the route between Woking and Basingstoke was already closed for engineering work when it was discovered.Genuinely interested as a software engineer... how would the rail network/engineers have known/found out about this? Are there sensors which would have indicated the slip? Or is it by chance that someone notified before a train went through?
Would love some info to draw parallels woth the software world.
Thanks
It does seem more luck than anything.
I posted a link a few years ago to a company brochure about the sensors used, I’ll try and find the thread, here it is, link in post #6 there:
solar panels on sticks - between Applerley Junction and Guiseley
I got the train from Ilkley into Leeds and return yesterday Coming back I sat on the left facing the front We came off the skipton line onto the branch to Ilkley Just after the junction, on the left, there were some solar panels on what looked like temporary stands, and some yellow sticks on...