Teflon Lettuce
Established Member
- Joined
- 22 Aug 2013
- Messages
- 1,750
I'm certainly not trying to demolish anyone's reasoning... I asked the question because we have a similar situation atm with Thameslink-especially on the northern half of the network- as we had in the 80's {unreliable, unpredictable service} so why hasn't it produced the same results {growth in commuter coach network/ market}The question originally posed was 'Why hasn't there been an explosion in commuter coaches this year'. Nothing you have written has answered this question, just merely tried to demolish anybody else's reasoning for this! duncombec referred to his experience of (presumably Medway?) commuter coaches arriving at Canary Wharf and about 8 passengers on each transferring to the tube. Each of these coaches would come from a different starting point (or combination of pick up points), so in order to get a full load on one coach it would have to weave a slow and circuitous route via a number (seven?) of starting/ combination of starting points. Once a full load has been picked up, I am sure it would be direct to Golders Green or Finchley Road. However, in the morning peak, I doubt there would be many empty seats on southbound tube trains at these stations. Golders Green to City is a slow journey on the tube, with lots of intermediate stations. On the return in the evening peak these trains will be packed, and the connection with the commuter coach uncertain.
Yes, some commuters would do it, and some more during the worst of the disruption. But would an operator be prepared to take on this risk (and the work of recruiting staff, acquiring vehicles, doing the admin etc), especially suspecting that many of these commuters will go back to their regular trains when normal (ish) working is resumed, and the service likely becomes uneconomic? Coach operators are a canny lot, and will sniff out a worthwhile opportunity. The fact that not one has tried even one service perhaps gives an indication that it was felt simply not worth it. Of course they might all be fat cats, or in some conspiracy with the railway companies etc, but I doubt it.
I took on board some of the answers I was given and came up with a modern day solution to those answers { commuter coaches to outer LU railheads/ interchanges}
I'm now going to refine the question down even further in response to what you have said... what if the coach ran from just a central point and then follows a direct route out to the Motorway? Maybe with just a couple of stopping points on the way to the motorway. ok so part of the alleged attraction of commuter coaches is that they go round the housing estates.... but the commuters we're talking about are used to either driving {or more likely being driven} to the train stn in the centre of town... so what I'm now talking about is a fast point to point journey that is more reliable than that currently being offered by Thameslink... and of course there is the large saving in fares