• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why don't the UK TOCs have an "audio brand"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2010
Messages
2,135
Location
Charlbury
I happen to think that GWR's branding is pretty strong for a TOC - the dark traditional colour scheme matches the '5 go' advertising well - it's just a shame that the interior of the trains really does not. I'm not in advertising, but I'm sure a suitable noise could be found (a seagull?) that would similarly emphasise seaside holidays nicely on announcements. The example I gave above of from a ship is a good example of how a simple tone helped build up the quality feel of the brand.

The first five notes of Elgar's 'Nimrod' - G Eb Ab F Bb - would work wonderfully as a, locally appropriate, audio brand for GWR.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

K.o.R

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2017
Messages
673
Brussels has a nice jingle that I stole for my phone's notification sound.


The full thing is used on the platforms and the last 3 notes are used before "next stop" announcements.
 

JaJaWa

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2013
Messages
1,734
Location
⠀
Another thing that works well, though I can't recall where I heard it, is to have a shorter "bong" for a local stop, and a longer one and more waffly announcement for an interchange or main station. I seem to recall the Arriva Trains Wales "jingle" was only used at some stations on that sort of basis. You can use part of a coordinated "audio brand" for the shorter one and the full thing for the longer one.
Taipei Metro does this, the jingle is only played at interchange stations (and I think Taipei 101). They are also the only ones to get Japanese in addition to Mandarin, English, and the two Taiwanese languages.



I’m surprised no-one mentioned the Nederlandse Spoorwegen tone which is also played on Thameslink Class 700s for some reason...



The worst one has got the be the “generic doorbell” used across China Railway and CRH.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,815
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I’m surprised no-one mentioned the Nederlandse Spoorwegen tone which is also played on Thameslink Class 700s for some reason...

I'd forgotten about the NS jingle on 700s - you only get it for a manual announcement, though. Wonder how come that ended up being specified? Perhaps the PIS was the same one as NS specified so they didn't bother changing it as TL weren't specific?
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,655
Location
Hampshire
Didn't Virgin Trains (or BR) previously have a Jingle in their MK3 Stock every time the PA Handset was used? Always liked that sound - and it's still on the Night Riviera.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,655
Location
Hampshire
They did, see post 49, though it is more of a harp than a guitar :)
Brilliant, thank you. I've always wanted to record that sound for a message tone alert!

Although oddly, as I typed that, an eBay alert pinged up and I've noticed how oddly similar they are.
 

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2020
Messages
5,833
Location
SW London
Please not more aural pollution! A simple "attention please" tonic triad is sufficient. And to minimise confusion, should be the same nationwide.

Too-chatty websites are not only nauseatingly naff (who needs a chatty khazi?) but can be actually distressing. The operator's website's upbeat tone, suggesting the ticket I was buying would be the trip of a lifetime, just increased the stress involved in the arrangements for the journey - not least when it became literally true, as the journey took longer than the remaining lifetime of the dying relative I was travelling to see.
 

LOL The Irony

Established Member
Joined
29 Jul 2017
Messages
5,335
Location
Chinatown, New York
I don't particularly like the SNCF chime as I feel it's missing a final note at the end. The best chime I've come across is the one that was used at Blackpool North and my still be in use at the Etihad.

On another note, I think these would translate well into announcement chimes;
Alstom corporate theme (at the start & end of the video)
(Why didn't they use this on their trains?)

The previous Amazon Originals intro

Gran Turismo 4 Race End
 

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,231
I wonder if that's based on something else?

I just listened to these two by the way:

ATW jingle

and

Piano version of the Welsh national anthem

...and it seems like it actually is. Neat. I wonder if it was a DB idea given that it's done on some of their stock?
I've heard that "jingle" hundreds of times.

Never have I felt the need to stand! :D

Doesn't sound like Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau to me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top