• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do Eurostar services finish so early in the evening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,992
Location
Airedale
Does anyone know how many hours the Dover to Oostende ferry took?

About 3 1/2 hours at its fastest. The 14.44 BST Victoria connected with a 16.45 ferry due Oostende 2020 CET in 1981 (mainland Europe wasn't then using summer time, the winter train was therefore an hour earlier).
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
Jetfoils never operated from London


Thanks EM2; saved me a search.

I do remember seeing them at St Katharine's Dock.

Went on them once from Dover to Oostende; 90 minutes each way. Flat calm sea that day so we got quite a bit of sustained fast running. Ride quality was very similar to a Mk3 carriage. Managed to bash both on that trip; one on the way out and the other on the way back - admittedly I planned it like that...
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,357
Location
Bolton
It looks as if the French way of doing things is to have the last train arrive at its destination between around 10.30 and midnight, probably on the grounds that the majority of people using such a train will either have been in Paris on business during the day or connected there from elsewhere. The geography and economy of federalised Germany is much more diffuse, so it probably makes sense to keep some sort of overnight service between the major cities going.

It does seem a little strange there is no later service to Dijon though it must be said. Not even a combination of local trains can I find. Admittedly the 2023 does not get to it's final destination of Mulhouse Ville until 2320.
 

Gordon

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
1,146
Location
Surrey
Thanks EM2; saved me a search.

I do remember seeing them at St Katharine's Dock.

Went on them once from Dover to Oostende; 90 minutes each way. Flat calm sea that day so we got quite a bit of sustained fast running. Ride quality was very similar to a Mk3 carriage. Managed to bash both on that trip; one on the way out and the other on the way back - admittedly I planned it like that...


There was also a Brighton - Dieppe jetfoil service. Only lasted a few years though.

My abiding memory of that was twofold:

1) when both engines stopped mid channel, leaving us tossing around like a small fishing boat...

2) the initial service which on the French side was an SNCF Caravelle 2-car DMU literally waiting on the quayside at the top of the steps up out of the jetfoil in the inner harbour

It was unusual in that it left from Brighton Marina, very different to those of us who crossed the channel frequently by ferry (I calculate roughly that I have crossed the English Channel by ferry at least 300 times in my lifetime...)



.
 

Gordon

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
1,146
Location
Surrey
It does seem a little strange there is no later service to Dijon though it must be said. Not even a combination of local trains can I find. Admittedly the 2023 does not get to it's final destination of Mulhouse Ville until 2320.


The culture in France is also still largely to go to bed at a 'civilised' time unlike the '24 hour' culture in the UK



.
 

MarcVD

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2016
Messages
1,246
2) the initial service which on the French side was an SNCF Caravelle 2-car DMU literally waiting on the quayside at the top of the steps up out of the jetfoil in the inner harbour

Also happened with the Silver Arrow service, connection train - plane at Le Touquet airport, and train arriving/departing from the airport's apron, needing a clearance from the airport tower to get in. The track branch from the Paris - Boulogne main line is still visible today, as well as some track remnants on the airport proper.

https://youtu.be/z6kvL4KDcHI

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
 
Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
There was also a Brighton - Dieppe jetfoil service. Only lasted a few years though.

...when both engines stopped mid channel, leaving us tossing around like a small fishing boat...

It was unusual in that it left from Brighton Marina, very different to those of us who crossed the channel frequently by ferry.

Ah, Gordon - that was not a Jetfoil, it was a sidewall hovercraft called the Agnes 200. Belonged to the French Navy and was used experimentally just for one summer season. They bolted what was literally a pair of Portacabins onto the rear deck to provide passenger seating. There was more accomodation near the front in what was nominally the crew galley and mess room, but the windows in that were too high up to see out of when seated.

I have a strong suspicion we might have been on the same crossing if that "engines stopping" was on the way back just 30 minutes off Brighton - they told me it was a deliberate heaving-to when we got caught in a sudden squall as the conditions in the marina entrance were too rough to safely enter.

In my case I did it as an "out and back" return trip just to sample it.

Now at the time I was rather active in the hovercraft sphere and on the way out that day we were about half way over when a crewman came up to me and asked if I was Peter Mugridge and upon my confirming that he said: "The Captain would like to see you on the bridge." - now bear in mind that this was a commissioned French Navy vessel so to be invited up there was highly unusual in the first place; had an interesting chat with the Captain about hovercraft in general while I was up there and was even allowed to take a couple of photos... :D

The vessel still exists but has been laid up somewhere for several years now.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,334
on the French side was an SNCF Caravelle 2-car DMU literally waiting
Likewise again the earlier connections with the hovercraft service. We went through Dover-Boulogne to Paris in 1976, and the train from the special hovercraft terminal to Gare du Nord was a 2-car Caravelle, which had decidedly suburban-style upright narrow seating, and every seat taken. There might have even been a few standees for what was about a 2.5 hour journey. Fortunately on the return, with a similar passenger load, a 4-car formation was provided.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
When I used it, around 2hrs.

When I took it, in 1993 I think, it took longer than that!

About 3 1/2 hours at its fastest. The 14.44 BST Victoria connected with a 16.45 ferry due Oostende 2020 CET in 1981 (mainland Europe wasn't then using summer time, the winter train was therefore an hour earlier).

I was on the night boat, and I think it took a bit longer than 3.5 hours. I remember arriving at Ostend station a little after 0500.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,334
The Ostend ships from Dover were long scheduled at 4 hours. At peak summer weekends each vessel could get in two round trips in a day, and there were even duplicates which shadowed one another within sight across the sea. The route was a very early implementer of diesel ships, in the 1930s, which while more efficient were invariably a bit slower than the steam turbine powered ships which BR continued to buy well into the 1960s. It was always operated by the Belgian company, the UK rail shipping operation keeping away from the route, although BR provided the connecting boat trains, of course. Two ships together might require four or five connecting boat trains, and a huge crush at Dover Marine.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
When I took it, in 1993 I think, it took longer than that!.

The memory fades. It was 1991, from Western Docks to Oostende, off the boat train from Vic (12xCEP/BEP+MLV IIRC)

I am not a good sailor as a passenger,a nd the thought of more than 2hrs on anything seaworthy I can't 'drive' myself has me reaching for the smelling salts. I thought it was around 2:15, however it seems I was wrong.
 

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
The Jetfoil was great until it got cancelled because of rough seas. I can remember when this happened once twenty five years ago or so, we were put on the ferry instead, loads of people were being sick. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief when the White Cliffs came into sight, then we had to wait another three hours because of the tide. Set off from Oostende at about 0900 and got back to Donny at 2330.

God bless Eurostar!
 
Last edited:

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,992
Location
Airedale
The Ostend ships from Dover were long scheduled at 4 hours.

That's what I remembered, too, and I was surprised when I checked the timetable. I think it may have varied with the ship - and with the price of fuel!
 

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
That's what I remembered, too, and I was surprised when I checked the timetable. I think it may have varied with the ship - and with the price of fuel!

I went on it quite a few times and it never did a direct route. It went from Dover three-quarters of the way to Calais, then turned left and hugged the French and Belgian coast; it did the opposite on return.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
I went on it quite a few times and it never did a direct route. It went from Dover three-quarters of the way to Calais, then turned left and hugged the French and Belgian coast; it did the opposite on return.

That's because if they ran direct they would go aground on the Goodwin Sands.
 

LiftFan

Member
Joined
27 May 2016
Messages
369
To save money E* should have bought the Pacers from Northern, ATW and GWR to use them in place of the new trains
 

leshuttle

Member
Joined
12 Jan 2007
Messages
156
Location
London
Shorter distance commuter routes like the Transmanche Metro might have had more opportunity for later international departures but little chance that'll happen even before the decision some Brits made last year.
 
Last edited:

33Hz

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2010
Messages
513
I totally agree with the OP.

Even a one hour later departure from Brussels would open up more opportunities for business travellers out of Netherlands and western Germany.

Also, re-timetabling on TGV Lyria means it is no longer possible to leave Geneva at a sensible time for a day's work and make it back for the last Eurostar. Even 30 minutes later would fix this.

I'd imaging that there would be demand for an evening out in Paris and then train back to London for a midnight arrival.

If only an open access operator could get hold of some Channel Tunnel certified trains...
 

sarahj

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2012
Messages
1,897
Location
Brighton
The memory fades. It was 1991, from Western Docks to Oostende, off the boat train from Vic (12xCEP/BEP+MLV IIRC)

I am not a good sailor as a passenger,a nd the thought of more than 2hrs on anything seaworthy I can't 'drive' myself has me reaching for the smelling salts. I thought it was around 2:15, however it seems I was wrong.

When I last took it around 93, the train still went to Western docks station, but we were then bused to Eastern docks for the prince filip. And then arrival at Ostend with the trains all waiting, mine was for Basle, (tho' it went through to Bern)

I took the overnight ferry in early 1993 and had a bus transfer to the Eastern Docks. I was only going to Brussels, nowhere as exotic as Basle!
 

MarcVD

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2016
Messages
1,246
Sure but what we need is some competition on this line. The Eurostar monopoly keeps the prices ridiculously high.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
Sure but what we need is some competition on this line. The Eurostar monopoly keeps the prices ridiculously high.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

Eurostar isn't a monopoly. It competes in two principal markets: London Paris and London Brussels. (Plus a much smaller part in markets further afield). There are approximately twice as many flights as trains between London airports and Paris airports (albeit approx half the seats). And generally flying is cheaper even allowing for getting to the airports either end and Air passenger duty.

That is the competition, and it is what drives Eurostars pricing.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,992
Location
Airedale
Even a one hour later departure from Brussels would open up more opportunities for business travellers out of Netherlands and western Germany.

Also, re-timetabling on TGV Lyria means it is no longer possible to leave Geneva at a sensible time for a day's work and make it back for the last Eurostar. Even 30 minutes later would fix this.

I'd imaging that there would be demand for an evening out in Paris and then train back to London for a midnight arrival.

I take the first two points, but an evening out in Paris which meant being back at Nord for 22:00? My memory is that lots of evening events don't start till 20:30....
Still, at least a day return would have to be cheap to fill the seats!
 

MarcVD

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2016
Messages
1,246
Eurostar isn't a monopoly.

I beg to differ. It is a monopoly for the transport from city centre to city centre. Price for this specific product would go down considerably if the same service was also offered by another operator.


Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
 

duesselmartin

Established Member
Joined
18 Jan 2014
Messages
2,161
Location
Duisburg, Germany
I beg to differ. It is a monopoly for the transport from city centre to city centre. Price for this specific product would go down considerably if the same service was also offered by another operator.


Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

On that argument ScotRail has a monopoly on Glasgow to Aberdeen services , ignoring other forms of transport
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,965
. Price for this specific product would go down considerably if the same service was also offered by another operator.

It wouldn't. It might drop a little, but there is no escaping the toll charged on every passenger by Eurotunnel, which is £22 each way IIRC. Add in track access charges both sides of the tunnel plus the cost of running a TOC (train hire, maintenance, electricity, staff, etc) and an average one way fare of around £85 is needed to break even. Which makes the £29 one way fare Eurostar offer remarkably good value.
 

Gordon

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
1,146
Location
Surrey
Ah, Gordon - that was not a Jetfoil,

Oh yes it was (cue Panto...)

The Brighton - Dieppe service was dubbed Seajet, and the craft was the Normandy Princess, a Boeing 929 Jetfoil, build number 12, built by Boeing in Renton, Washington, USA.


.
 

Gordon

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
1,146
Location
Surrey
. Which makes the £29 one way fare Eurostar offer remarkably good value.

I agree, even the £49 etc fares are perfectly reasonable.

I'm far from convinced that any additional 'competition' would make any real difference. There is competition on the short sea Channel crossings but that does not translate into very low fares any more due to the costs involved to all operators in providing the equipment and service.

In real terms, getting to Europe from Britain by all forms of transport is much cheaper than it was in the 'old days', a fact that often seems to get overlooked.


.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top