It always interested/raised my eyebrows how some of the 'part route' destinations, very seldom used, were very similar. For instance you might have a 22 part route "Foot o' the' Walk", a 25 part route "Duke Street" and a 35 part route "Easter Road" which would all, effectively, be turning around within spitting distance of each other next to Scotmid on Duke Street.
Similarly, a part route destination of Burdiehouse can't have been used often when Kaimes was one stop beforehand - that was used as a 'fake' part route destination on some 33s which morphed into 18s to get back to Longstone at the end of the day.
The part route (pink), express / limited stop (yellow) etc were very useful so you could be aware at a distance, for example if two buses were approaching. They were very smart but I suppose people not from the city wouldn't know that, for example, the part route denoted in this image was the loss of two stops at the far far end. (NMP)
There was then a "route diverted" which appeared after the MUDFA chaos of 2008/9. We could go into tramboards but that's a whole other kettle of fish and, again, I believe they've been discontinued as well.
I don't think LRT have any more buses with the traditional displays with intermediates, but neither (I think) do London (I haven't seen one in a very long time) and indeed, a long long time after other operators, they now have LED screens on modern vehicles.
SYT had two destination blinds on their standard vehicles throughout the 70s and 80s. Again NMP. The bottom blind tended to be intermediate points but only 'corridor' ones e.g. via the DRI, via Racecourse etc, or for where clarification was required if services took two routes to a common destination. I think they also included the 'sundry' destinations like 'special' / 'schools' etc. On the other hand, there are lots of pictures around of SYT buses going around in Doncaster with the top blind being the destination, and the bottom showing "town centre" to avoid the need to change the blinds!
As time went on, they were gradually replaced with single blind units, especially in Doncaster/Rotherham. I think the ones in Sheffield held out for a bit longer.
Sheffield also had some 'triangles' which were mounted inside in the n/s windscreen, underneath the destination blind. These showed "via city centre" and another via point (Meadowhell?) as well as a blank outer. I couldn't find a picture to hand but they certainly existed, until maybe the early 00s after the Firstbus takeover.