• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why did BR go for the double arrow in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,712
Location
Hope Valley
Yes, Glasgow Electrics.
One I could never get my head around was the “flying crate” logo of BRs door to door container service. Below is a photo of a wagon with such a logo.
View attachment 191340
Why not? A ‘flying crate’ symbolises goods travelling swiftly. (Just a pity that the actuality was typically the wagon being shunted from yard to yard and arriving the following day whereas a lorry could move a paltry load of up to 5 tons and deliver it the same day on many flows.)
 

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,697
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
How many remember this logo?
I still think I see it! 9Esp on the old yellow Anniesland overbridge on Gt WesternRosd. I’m sure there was even a `TV campaign showing two trains crossing on adjacent tracks with the logo zooming out at the appropriate moment!
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,712
Location
Hope Valley
I still think I see it! 9Esp on the old yellow Anniesland overbridge on Gt WesternRosd. I’m sure there was even a `TV campaign showing two trains crossing on adjacent tracks with the logo zooming out at the appropriate moment!
The Glasgow ‘Blue Train’ logo was intended to evoke the Firth of Clyde (in blue) and a ‘flash’ (in yellow).
 

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2014
Messages
6,594
Location
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I grew up with the BR double-arrow logo - "there and back" was a motto I remember.

Who remembers the promotional material for the Victoria-Gatwick express back in the 1980s?

Attached image shows the variation of the BR double-arrow logo to promote getting the train to the airport (not my picture)Gatwick Airport promotional BR logo.jpg
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,363
The Glasgow ‘Blue Train’ logo was intended to evoke the Firth of Clyde (in blue) and a ‘flash’ (in yellow).
Interesting. I’ve always liked it but didn’t know that idea behind it.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I grew up with the BR double-arrow logo - "there and back" was a motto I remember.

Who remembers the promotional material for the Victoria-Gatwick express back in the 1980s?

Attached image shows the variation of the BR double-arrow logo to promote getting the train to the airport (not my picture)View attachment 191359
I’d forgotten that! Thanks for the reminder as I do remember it.
 

Merthyr Imp

Member
Joined
24 May 2016
Messages
616
Location
Merthyr Tydfil
I saw a photo of a class 20 like that too.

Of course Sealink ferries being the "wrong way" too, but that was intentional.
I must say I've never seen a photo of anything other than a ship with the arrows applied the wrong way round (apart from photos taken in a mirror or where the negative has been reversed).
 

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,697
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Interesting. I’ve always liked it but didn’t know that idea behind it.
I reckon that’s an urban myth - concocted after-the-event to imply PR infill. I’ve also heard that it was to reflect the colour of the trains (they were blue) and the yellow front. Of course, when the North Electrics started service there was no ‘yellow front’ as I believe this was implemented on the South Electrics later, then spread. The only one that made sense was the inspiration of crossing pantographs, as that was what the logo was promoting, not rail travel by DMUs.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,687
Location
Solihull
Ah here you go, finally found the photo, from Brian Haresnape's British Rail Fleet Survey on the Types 1-3.

Class 20 with BR symbol the wrong way around
 

KevinBrum12

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2025
Messages
115
Location
West Midlands
I reckon that’s an urban myth - concocted after-the-event to imply PR infill. I’ve also heard that it was to reflect the colour of the trains (they were blue) and the yellow front. Of course, when the North Electrics started service there was no ‘yellow front’ as I believe this was implemented on the South Electrics later, then spread. The only one that made sense was the inspiration of crossing pantographs, as that was what the logo was promoting, not rail travel by DMUs.

It is definitely the "Glasgow Electrics" logo with the Yellow Zig-Zag signifying the electricity and the Blue the AM3 "Blue Trains". The earliest yellow ends would have appeared on the AM3's would have been 1965 and even then probably only on the bottom panels of each end. Warning Yellow application was done very quickly with most locomotives and multiple-units seeing the ends well before a double arrow.

How can you apply a transfer the wrong way round?
Maybe its not a transfer, but a frame with the double arrow was used and was painted straight onto the 08 with some white paint?
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,134
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
is definitely the "Glasgow Electrics" logo with the Yellow Zig-Zag signifying the electricity and the Blue the AM3 "Blue Trains". The earliest yellow ends would have appeared on the AM3's would have been 1965 and even then probably only on the bottom panels of each end. Warning Yellow application was done very quickly with most locomotives and multiple-units seeing the ends well before a double arrow.
I have at home in the UK a copy of George Blake's book "Glasgow Electric" - produced by BR in 1960 to commemorate the inauguration of the electric services - in which it is clearly stated the the blue arrow in the logo represents the converging banks of the Firth of Clyde....and the yellow represents a live pantograph.
 

pdeaves

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
5,932
Location
Gateway to the South West
The corporate logos on this page are here.
There's an interesting statement on the linked page:
British Railways Board's Design Panel finally picked two: one incorporating two circles and an arrow, and one consisting of parallel lines and double arrows. After the first design had leaked out prematurely, the second one was selected.

Does anyone have a link to the unsuccessful design, please? It will be interesting to see what might have been.
 

Big Jumby 74

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2022
Messages
2,250
Location
UK
The only one that made sense was the inspiration of crossing pantographs,
It is definitely the "Glasgow Electrics" logo with the Yellow Zig-Zag signifying the electricity and the Blue the AM3 "Blue Trains"
Picked this up way back, probably at an open day at St. Rollox, but can't remember for sure?
 

Attachments

  • 20251030_121039 - Copy.jpg
    20251030_121039 - Copy.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,697
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
I also have one of those....somewhere!
As do I (If I could only find it!). Interesting if this was an unplanned alternative to the BR double arrow - (why state BR at the top, unless someone mis-interpreted the request for the double arrow logo? :lol:
 

coppercapped

Established Member
Joined
13 Sep 2015
Messages
3,334
Location
Reading
As do I (If I could only find it!). Interesting if this was an unplanned alternative to the BR double arrow - (why state BR at the top, unless someone mis-interpreted the request for the double arrow logo? :lol:
The Glasgow Blue Train symbol pre-dates the BR double arrow by 3 or 4 years. It was never an alternative.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,363
I reckon that’s an urban myth - concocted after-the-event to imply PR infill. I’ve also heard that it was to reflect the colour of the trains (they were blue) and the yellow front. Of course, when the North Electrics started service there was no ‘yellow front’ as I believe this was implemented on the South Electrics later, then spread. The only one that made sense was the inspiration of crossing pantographs, as that was what the logo was promoting, not rail travel by DMUs.
Thanks for those insights

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I have at home in the UK a copy of George Blake's book "Glasgow Electric" - produced by BR in 1960 to commemorate the inauguration of the electric services - in which it is clearly stated the the blue arrow in the logo represents the converging banks of the Firth of Clyde....and the yellow represents a live pantograph.
And thanks also for this. A contemporary source
 

KevinBrum12

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2025
Messages
115
Location
West Midlands
Much would have been learnt from the Glasgow Blue Trains project, possibly the earliest example of a "sparks effect". Other area of BR were much more muted. The launch of the WMCL electrics was high-profile but the conversion of the semi-fasts and locals from DMU's to EMU's was not.
 

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,697
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Is the plaque with this symbol on still at Queen Street Low Level? (i.e. the one from 1960 commemorating the start of electric services)
I don’t believe so. During the remodelling they did away with the dual gate lines at the main entrance, and you are channeled a different way to the stairs down to the low level. I’l go investigating at the weekend and try to find it!
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Much would have been learnt from the Glasgow Blue Trains project, possibly the earliest example of a "sparks effect". Other area of BR were much more muted. The launch of the WMCL electrics was high-profile but the conversion of the semi-fasts and locals from DMU's to EMU's was not.

Unfortunately the ‘sparks effect’ was in the guard’s van.
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,712
Location
Hope Valley
Much would have been learnt from the Glasgow Blue Trains project, possibly the earliest example of a "sparks effect". Other area of BR were much more muted. The launch of the WMCL electrics was high-profile but the conversion of the semi-fasts and locals from DMU's to EMU's was not.
It’s fair to say that the relatively ‘thin’ ac EMU services on electrified routes from Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham with the miserable lurching and whining AM4 units on hourly frequencies hardly improved matters compared with the steam to electric transformation and higher frequencies in Glasgow with the lovely AM3s, especially on the sub-surface section. However the expansion of the Euston-Northampton line with lovely AM10s went from strength to strength from Day 1 in April 1966.

Just the sort of thing that the new British Rail corporate identity needed.

The Liverpool Street and Fenchurch Street lines also did well in the early 1960s.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top