London's core bus network is rarely infrequent in the evening. At worst and quite uncommon, a thirty minute evening frequency, with a large majority running at 15-12. I'm not on about secondary or community services.
That was my point. You talk about the bare minimum of an evening and only London manages that and even then not exclusively.
That being said, I'm not certain what your point actually is? The point was that
@johncrossley was suggesting that in many places, you don't need a bus station for local services, and for once, I agree with him. In the major cities etc, that is probably true. In smaller towns, there are relatively limited routes on that sort of headway and so it probably makes sense to have those also serve a bus station rather than having one or two outliers.
I do. It was the only area to gain a seven day evening frequency under BSIP (126) you say that but authorities that haven't invested in much in bus stations and better waiting conditions have the exact same evening frequencies. Halifax's bus station, and the situation with Bradford Interchange, also caused the networks usage to plummet, which reverted once the new station was built, and during those times it gave the authority more financial strain due to the reduced usage.
You think Ossett having a bus station was what got it a BSIP uplift? That was probably the least of their concerns.
Whilst I do feel that bus stations and interchanges are a useful facility, I'm not aware of any studies that demonstrate that they fundamentally and significantly improve patronage. Certainly, when you have any form of upheaval that means bus are rerouted and retimed, it has an impact but that's not the same as a bus station being a traffic generator.
Moreover, I don't think you can draw a direct parallel. The local authorities (mainly the former PTEs but there are a few others) that build and maintain these large facilities... Well, they're going to be more pro-public transport anyway. It's an example of correlation but not causation. They're more likely to support shoulder, evening and Sunday bus routes, have bus priority, have better forms of ticketing etc.
I fought to put my local service in the bus station pre-pandemic it was a commercial ten minute service with bus priority and it ended at 8pm. It was one of a couple bus routes to not serve my towns bus station. The company blamed us for 'not using the service' in an evening but they made it inconvenient and uncomfortable to use the service, by choice. I won the battle and got it moved into the bus station. A few years later, and in a post-pandemic climate, so the odds should really not be in my favour, and it runs two hours later on a commercial basis. Years of failed attempts of later journeys very much stopped once it moved into the bus station.
Very difficult to pass comment on that.
Greater Manchester has bus stations in essentially every major or semi-major town. Middleton, Eccles and Altrincham may be of interest due to the size of those towns.
Greater Manchester is another one of those "offenders". IMO, Eccles is actually quite well designed and appropriate for its use. Altrincham is a bit oversized but nothing compared to Hyde which is huge. Middleton is similarly mental is size and scale.
To put it into West Yorkshire parlance, places like Ossett, Batley and Cleckheaton probably need something akin to Hemsworth (ok, the facilities are in the adjacent Tesco store) or South Elmsall but instead Heckmondwike is also now getting the treatment.
I am old enough to recall many of the absolute hellholes of bus stations around the country. I have no wish to return to those halcyon days but we have a real bizarre state of affairs. Some bus stations in the provinces are squeezed into commercial developments but conversely, some are really oversized for what is really required.