• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which you think is the loudest multiple unit in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trebor79

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
4,912
They have the comfort in keeping with when they were designed - they have no less comfort than a Mk1 (other than the noise) and they replaced the likes of Mk1s and non-aircon Mk2s on medium to long distance services. They do feel a bit basic now, but the big windows and fresh air are nice on a scenic route.
They always seem to have a musty dusty smell when I use them (last time as when a 156 subbed for a 158 on a Norwich - Liverpool, it was absolutley grimy inside and out). TBH I find the noise levels on all the 15x units unacceptable, a 158 in good condition is just about bareable.
 

Tracked

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2011
Messages
1,342
Location
53.5440°N 1.1510°W
In fairness, my options to travel on them have been limited in the last 6 months, but on the odd occasions I got on a 195 before Lockdown 1 I found them really noisy when they were slowing down - a sort of a whiny noise, seemed to be as they were coasting before the brakes went on for a station (unless it was the brakes, it was before braking for a stop became noticable) - compared to when they accelerate, probably up there with 153's for unpleasantly loud noise.
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
Classes 123and 124 both made a very nice throaty roar when pulling away from a station stop. As for locos, when I lived in St George (Bristol) the only locos I could clearly hear from home as they accelerated through St Annes towards Pad were class 50s.
 

DustyBin

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2020
Messages
3,927
Location
First Class
Nothing beats a Thumper departing a station, not only does the noise and vibration cause the platform to move beneath your feet,with their negligable rate of acceleration the spectacle lasts for an eternity

When new they weren’t fitted with silencers believe it or not.... Apparently the noise was deemed unacceptable even then. I only know that from reading a book, I’m nowhere near old enough to remember them when new (only in their Connex days). Great sounding units though I agree, not many MU’s sound like a real locomotive!

I’m new incidentally so hello everybody!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top