Could well be. I've never noticed it on a 172 though, only on Voyagers and especially Meridians.That might be the sound of the flex-eco bogies fitted to some of Bombardier’s DMUs (172, 220 & 222).
This video captures it pretty well:
Could well be. I've never noticed it on a 172 though, only on Voyagers and especially Meridians.That might be the sound of the flex-eco bogies fitted to some of Bombardier’s DMUs (172, 220 & 222).
They always seem to have a musty dusty smell when I use them (last time as when a 156 subbed for a 158 on a Norwich - Liverpool, it was absolutley grimy inside and out). TBH I find the noise levels on all the 15x units unacceptable, a 158 in good condition is just about bareable.They have the comfort in keeping with when they were designed - they have no less comfort than a Mk1 (other than the noise) and they replaced the likes of Mk1s and non-aircon Mk2s on medium to long distance services. They do feel a bit basic now, but the big windows and fresh air are nice on a scenic route.
Nothing beats a Thumper departing a station, not only does the noise and vibration cause the platform to move beneath your feet,with their negligable rate of acceleration the spectacle lasts for an eternity