Correlation is not causation. The (re)opening of more stations has been driven by demographic change, the problems of road transport and (mostly local) government policy. A nationally owned rail service would arguably have been even better placed to do this. I say 'arguably' because unimaginative management could equally well block such initiatives.
You can say that all of the good things that happened under privatisation would have happened anyway if you want
But I’d present Exhibit A - the way that the DfT/ Government have been running the railway over the last couple of years (since they swapped “franchises” for “concessions”, so that all significant decisions reside with the DfT/ Government rather than TOCs/ franchise bids)
If you can look at the penny pinching and heel dragging and sly cuts (pushing commitments into the long term, cutting services and not being in any particular hurry to reinstate them…) and tell me that you’d be confident with the railway being run like this since the 1990s then fair enough, I’ll not try to argue the point any further
(Obviously we’d all love an enlightened Government who invested huge sums in Rail to secure a long term plan for improvements, and who let railway professionals get on with things without interference, but realistically I think that we have to look at the mess that the government has made over health/ education/ other public services over the past dozen years and accept that of Rail had similarly been at the mercy of zealous Ministers/ reluctant civil servants then it wouldn’t resemble the enlightened ideal that we all might wish for!)
I'm pretty sure that started happening in the late 1980s/early 1990s.
I’d be interesting to confirm - I remember putting together a list of the various stations/ lines that were closed in the final decade of BR, only to get the response on here that “oh, but that wasn’t BR’s fault, they were forced into these closures by the government trying to ensure that privatisation would look good”
(because, as I’ve said many times, nothing was ever BR’s fault in the eyes of some people, e.g. Beeching/ Tories/ Labour closed lines but BR deserve credit for reopening routes, all new trains were because BR were great at investing but the cuts to proposed fleets we’re all the fault of baddie politicians interfering and penny punching…)
Certainly Woodhead was closed in the 1980s and the Settle’n’Carlisle nearly closed, as well as many smaller scale cuts - Sinfin North/ Attercliffe/ Brightside etc