• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which rolling stock is most in need of refurbishment/replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
Which rolling stock in the UK do you believe is most in need of either refurbishment, or complete replacement?

Furthermore, what improvements would you make to rolling stock had you been given the chance to refurb it?

To get things started off, I think I would like to refurbish the Pacer with a better seating arrangement. The previous refurbishment has improved it, but I don't like the airline style.

Or I suppose, as GNER 373 believes, we could just scrap it. ;)

I would also like to see something done to the styling on the FGW HST's, but I'm still working on that one. ;)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GNER 373

Member
Joined
28 Apr 2010
Messages
510
Location
Gateshead
The 142's surely have to be replaced! Although I'm not a hater of this class the time of the railbus must be coming to an end?
 

Voyager 2093

Member
Joined
20 Aug 2007
Messages
494
Location
London
142s I agree need to be disposed of. The trains I think in most need of a refurbishment are 319s and 321s. All in my opinion remember ;).
 

GNER 373

Member
Joined
28 Apr 2010
Messages
510
Location
Gateshead
Thanks for the include in the header post :)

Although I think they should be scrapped, I believe that at least one of every class of train/loco should be preserved for f
 
Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Well, it's looking very likely that the 142s will be with Northern until 2019. They have all recieved a refubishment in varying styles, but the ones that were done by First North Western (now with Northern and FGW) still retain bus benches and the Merseytravel refurb made them worse with rock hard seats. So, in short, some high backed seating can do wonders for comfort as seen in the ATW and ex-ATN 142s.

Other than that some of East Midlands Trains and Northern's 150s, 153s and 156s are extemely tatty and are crying out for a decent refurbishment.

I'd also nominate the 319s and 321s, especially as they are only at mid-life.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,543
14x's are and will be fine for a good bit if the bench seats are seen to. I'm keen for this to not turn into another debate on paser interiors however so I'm going to shift to 156's - these units are in some areas e.g West highland line in Scotland doing longer runs and if I were in controll I'd be looking to change the seating onboard units doing such trips to something high backed and wel padded to improve cumfort.

Many tocs are doing wonders with there 158s, but some are still in v bad condition so maybe those too?

Finally any ideas on refits for voyagers/pendos/early 170s?
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I don't actually mind the Voyager carriages, nor the styling on the Pendos!
 

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,894
Location
South Wales
the class 142 & 143 need replacment urgently , i agree that a lto of the class 319 & 321's need refurbished ment, however i believe the thameslink class 319's will be getting air con etc when they are replaced by new stock.
 

GNER 373

Member
Joined
28 Apr 2010
Messages
510
Location
Gateshead
Can I quickly ask are my posts showing? I'm using my iPhone at the moment and everytime I post I can only see part of it! Thanks for any replies
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
so I'm going to shift to 156's - these units are in some areas e.g West highland line in Scotland doing longer runs and if I were in controll I'd be looking to change the seating onboard units doing such trips to something high backed and wel padded to improve cumfort.

I'd like to see improved seating in the 156s. I've used them a few times in the past year, and they're not particularly nice. The seats are too low down and they gave me a sore back :(
 

SWTDesiro

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2011
Messages
32
Location
Twickenham, London, England
156s are OK, but the railbuses need to be literally chucked in the ocean they're that sodding crap. They should be replaced with 172 Turbostars. The Southern 455s could do with an interior refresh.

pf_5829-int.jpg
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,775
Simple. The 14x classes and the "1972 design" EMUs- 313, 314, 315, 507 and 508. The former being more needed than the latter.

The Sprinters and the Mark 3-based EMUs will be fine with decent refurbishments for a good while longer. 323s, 158/159s and Networkers are still relatively youthful.

Obviously, the post-privatisation stock doesn't actually need replaced- though if any were to be, I'd suggest that the "micro classes" should either be scrapped, have conversion work done on them (similar to the proposed 460 into 458 project, maybe 180s could become 175s?) or consolidated.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
I think pacers need replacing. and all multiple units based on the MK3 could do with a big refurbishment they could be made to look like brand new trains, and mechanically most of them are sound. Maybe new engines in some? Some 153/6's currently having a midlife refurb, however I think that by the time the Mk3 stuff is done, it could be suitable to tack some of the unrefurbished ones onto the end of this.

Has anyone noticed that EMT seem to be painting their 156's at the minute? (still in the ugly regional livery though, not their mainline livery)
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
Agreed, irrespective of refurbishment / overhaul the following should be replaced as a matter of urgency (for all kinds of reasons)
Class 14x DMUs
Class 313 / 314 / 315 EMUs

LHCS with tread block brakes, although ATW and ScotRail appear to be the only TOCs now operating these (permanently, the others are temporary /contract)
ScotRail operated several Mark 2 coaches with disc brakes, so why not make this modification to the benefit of customers...
 

GospelOak117

Member
Joined
3 May 2009
Messages
215
Location
Eastern Region
Not mainline but LU Central line's 1992 stock. Graffiti everywhere, faded dirty seats and what look like big rust patches all around the windows. The C stock is not much better but the end is in sight for them.
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I want the 377 moved to operate selected services on the Great Northern, or alternatively, the 313 refurbished.
 

tbtc

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Messages
18,062
Location
Reston City Centre
Pacers are getting withdrawn in the next eight and a half years, so there's little to say really.

However, with each TOC doing their own thing, its hard to keep track of which units have gone the longest without any refurbishment? Some of the work EMT and ATW are doing to their Sprinters is long overdue (a legacy of what they inherited, of course)
 

lm321412

Member
Joined
29 Apr 2010
Messages
537
Location
Birmingham
Agreed, irrespective of refurbishment / overhaul the following should be replaced as a matter of urgency (for all kinds of reasons)
Class 14x DMUs
Class 313 / 314 / 315 EMUs

Whilst I agree with 14x DMUs, why do the 313/4/5 EMUs need to be replaced urgently?

Still got some life let in them and given a good refresh will continue for a few years to come...
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,314
I'm guessing when Thameslink's completed some of the 377s subleased to FCC might transfer to FCC permanently for use on Great Northern services.

They almost certainly won't. They are already earmarked for strengthening more SN services to 12 car, and the MK - Croydon WLL service to 8 car - the SN interiors they were delivered with should be a big hint...

In any case, a high proprtion of FCC's Great Northern services will be re-routed onto Thameslink, so they'll have plenty of their existing GN units spare at that stage.
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I'm guessing when Thameslink's completed some of the 377s subleased to FCC might transfer to FCC permanently for use on Great Northern services.

Really?!!!

That's great news! :)

I'll keep an eye out, thanks for the information. I wonder which services they'll operate them on, I think to and from London to Cambridge and Peterborough would be best, I can't see much use for them between Hertford and Moorgate.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top