• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which loco classes have never worked main line in preservation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,575
Location
Macclesfield
I've never seen or read anything about a 9F, for one. Go!
"Evening Star" has worked on the main line in the past, plenty of photos of it working tours on the internet.

I don't believe that classes 24, 26 or 27 have worked on the main line in preservation, and the NYMRs class 25 is only cleared to work between Whitby and Battersby Junction as far as I know.
 

MattRobinson

Member
Joined
16 Apr 2012
Messages
276
Location
Wakefield
Lots of little locos aren't main-line, due to the fact that they're not powerful enough to haul the trains that are required to make their owners/operators a profit. For example, although I couldn't confirm this, I imagine jinties, pannier tanks, 14xx's, etc will not have, and are unlikely to, work on the mainline.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,575
Location
Macclesfield
Lots of little locos aren't main-line, due to the fact that they're not powerful enough to haul the trains that are required to make their owners/operators a profit. For example, although I couldn't confirm this, I imagine jinties, pannier tanks, 14xx's, etc will not have, and are unlikely to, work on the mainline.
There's two* Pannier tanks presently registered to work on the main line. They have recently worked at least one tour of their own, and are also used as banking engines up the Lickey for other main line tours. They're based at Tyseley.

*EDIT: Actually, having researched, there's three!
 

mallard

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2009
Messages
1,304

Its work for GNER would count as being "in preservation", surely?

Exactly what does count as "in preservation" anyway? Some locos have been decommissioned and sold to preservationists only to later be purchased by a "mainline" company and reinstated. A number of cl20s have been through this for instance...
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
Its work for GNER would count as being "in preservation", surely?

I don't think so because they bought it back from the original preservationists and returned it to capital stock didn't they? Could be an interesting debate?
 

12CSVT

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2010
Messages
2,611
Exactly what does count as "in preservation" anyway? Some locos have been decommissioned and sold to preservationists only to later be purchased by a "mainline" company and reinstated. A number of cl20s have been through this for instance...

This could also apply to quite a lot of 08s.
 
Joined
16 Apr 2012
Messages
118
Location
Newcastle Under Lyme
90, 91, 92. 66, 67.
Never worked in preservation full stop:lol:

That's just a cop out answer. Although it'll happen one day. I'd like to see the 89 working a mainline tour one day, as I've never seen it working.

What about the APT? That'd be a sight to behold! I guess the apt-e would be more likely than the 370, but I don't think either is very likely.
 

Phil6219

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2011
Messages
578
Location
Manchester, UK
Class 15 & 28
The remaining one of each class under long term restoration projects by the Class 15 Preservation Society.
http://www.d8233.org.uk/

Well even when we do get these running again they will never run on the mainline under their own power, as along with a few other classes (14 & 17 for example) their top speed is less than 75 mph and so can no longer be registered.

Yes I know that the Class 60 has a top speed of 60 but since that fleet has been in continual service (no matter how half ar**d) it has grandfather rights.

Actually I'm not sure if the rule is 75 mph but either way that is the main stumbling block for us, though there would be the obvious slight issues of the new safety gear not to mention the shocking route availability of the co-bo :D

I must admit it would be an amazing sight on the mainline, but then again the Co-Bo tended to run in pairs (no reliability jokes please...)

I believe the ACLG are trying to get one of their older roarers mainline certified, the 84 or 85 I believe. That will be an excellent sight and sound, especially since there are currently no OHLE heritage railways to at least allow us to experience such sights and sounds. I'm fairly sure that they will be getting the 89 back on the mainline too.

Personally I'm plotting to acquire an 86, 90 & 92 though we wouldn't exactly be able to do much with them on the ELR :D That is why I want to get a 60 to drag them to Castleton which by then should be OHLE equipped <D

Phil 8-)
 

Manchester77

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2012
Messages
2,628
Location
Manchester
That's just a cop out answer. Although it'll happen one day. I'd like to see the 89 working a mainline tour one day, as I've never seen it working.

What about the APT? That'd be a sight to behold! I guess the apt-e would be more likely than the 370, but I don't think either is very likely.

I know there are 2 power cars and the semi unit at crew so if they bonded together and with a lot of time money and effort maybe
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
Its work for GNER would count as being "in preservation", surely?

Exactly what does count as "in preservation" anyway? Some locos have been decommissioned and sold to preservationists only to later be purchased by a "mainline" company and reinstated. A number of cl20s have been through this for instance...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 03179's return to the mainline another example? (Bought by WAGN from the Isle of Wight)
 

43167

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2010
Messages
1,021
Location
Keighley
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 03179's return to the mainline another example? (Bought by WAGN from the Isle of Wight)

It wasnt preserved on the Isle of Wight, it was used on the NSE section along with 03079.

The 03 that is on the Steam Railway is 03059.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
I know there are 2 power cars and the semi unit at crew so if they bonded together and with a lot of time money and effort maybe

Maybe the trailer cars could be hauled by a loco (a 91?) without tilt? Unfortunately I fear anything else would be far to expensive.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
The 71 was a regular performer for a few years; it ran tours from Waterloo to the Bournemouth open day as well ( date??? ), plus in July 1993 it ran a tour called "The Green Flasher" which by pure chance just happened to be the very first train I saw at the back of my garden the day I moved in to this house - it came past literally a minute after I got in! :)
 

Waddon

Member
Joined
15 Sep 2009
Messages
469
A British Rail class 99 has never been seen on the mainline, even though there are still a few in existence, according to wikipedia (They may be slightly out of gauge) :)
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
"It's" not a loco :P Tbh, the OP is a bit vague, but who minds those silly suggestions now and again?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top